Stunning 1749 Farthing, 18th Century Cufflinks, Shoe Buckle, Intricate Mystery Piece

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site that I found last weekend. Started a bit slow as I spent about an hour moving dead trees and limbs. Things heated up quickly with a few coppers including a gorgeous 1749 farthing. No idea why these are so hard to find but they are. I've always wanted one nice one. This thing is incredible! I also found 4 more half penny's which makes 16 pre 1750 coins in two outings. Midway through the hunt I dug a beautifully detailed oval piece. I have no idea what it may be as I see no attachment points....but I love this thing. Then came a big bucket lister for me. I've always wanted to find a linked set of Cufflinks. Today that happened. I also dug another Cufflink with a rose design on it. After I got home I realized I had both of them. Not sure if this is considered a Tudor rose or not. I found a few shoe buckle frags and a few nice early buttons including two early pewters with the huge shanks.
I decided to hike out and try to locate David's cabin site today. I had no luck but I found a random shoe buckle frame which was a nice surprise. I also have found rear there were 2 other early cabins on this property. If they're half as productive as this one it's gonna be quite a year. These two hunts have been so fun. Thanks for looking and any info on the mystery piece and the links would be much appreciated
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 40
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe, the soil is SO NICE to the coppers coming out of that site. The farthing is beautiful. Congrats on the cufflinks :thumbsup:

Yeah this sandy soil and the type of trees is a perfect storm of sorts for coin condition. A few yards away it's totally different. The next site may be terrible and it's less that 1/2 mile away I believe. Hopefully I will know soon enough

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you'd have another good hunt there.
Sweet farthing, and yes much tougher than the half penny counterpart, by at least 25 to one, Steve PA and I had this same conversation.
Funny so many dated the same makes me think they were lost as new or very near new.
Congrats also on the linked pair, I never managed that one yet, and only maybe 5 or 6 singles.
Hard to imagine the other sites being as rich as this one when you locate them.

Here's a bit of info. I guess it was just 1749 coins
image.png

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I am just loving how things are shaping up for you right now. Near mint farthing plus cufflinks!? That oval is a display centerpiece...museum quality. And I just can't believe the amount and quality of coppers. That spot must have had some serious commerce going on. With lots of snow. And cold hands. "Now, sir, you still owe me a haypenny and a farthing for the milling...'twas your own purse that fell from, not mine!"

Happy you are having such a great 2016!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great day! If you were ever going to hit a super rare copper that's the place you want to do it! It's actually a shame it predates marked military, but I'm sure you'll find sites dating a little later that also give up nice condition. I know it takes a whole lot more effort to find, and sometimes get to these, as our farm fields here, but when you get condition like that, I would certainly make the effort if I had the option here. So few nice coppers come out here it was only right the detecting God planted lots of early military buttons.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a fantastic site you're on buddy. It's a very rare occurrence to find that many colonial coins in one spot. Congrats on those early 18th century cuff-links, but I still think my favorite is that oval leather ornament. Gotta go run my 8 mile race now so I'll catch up later ....

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
I'm stunned. What a haul ! You are going to need bigger pouches. Nice history about the 1749 coppers too.
Best of Luck!
Phil

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great farthing!, that's an impressive group of finds, great hunt again!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got yourself on some great dirt. Great finds, but the farthing is a killer. To get any farthing, let alone one this nice is near impossible. I found a decent one last year also dated 1749. Actually it's kind of interesting how many 1749's come out of the ground and how they seem to come out of the ground better than the rest of the KG II's. Here's mine.

DSC_0368 kg obverses.jpg DSC_0369 kg reverses.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As always, a killer hunt! I love the old coppers and buttons! :occasion14:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAMN ABE !!! just DAMN!!!!!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Gosh Abe! Now I know why I'm in such a dry spell, you found all the colonial!
The farthing is in fantastic shape. I really like the cufflinks too. The first one I found, I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up.
Yours is a beaut. What a great site. I think even some of your half penny's look pretty doggone good too. I also like finding the buckles.
WTG! Keep em coming!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The condition of those coppers is something to behold. Another killer hunt. Can't wait to see what comes out next. That has been a banner site to say the least.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that is sweet, I'm so jelly, maybe someday I'll come up with a killer site, never know?
Congrats!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome group of finds..... That farthing is in great shape....I do believe those cuff links are tudor rose...congrats

Thanks Bri. I was really hoping these were Tudor rose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread