Stunning 1749 Farthing, 18th Century Cufflinks, Shoe Buckle, Intricate Mystery Piece

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site that I found last weekend. Started a bit slow as I spent about an hour moving dead trees and limbs. Things heated up quickly with a few coppers including a gorgeous 1749 farthing. No idea why these are so hard to find but they are. I've always wanted one nice one. This thing is incredible! I also found 4 more half penny's which makes 16 pre 1750 coins in two outings. Midway through the hunt I dug a beautifully detailed oval piece. I have no idea what it may be as I see no attachment points....but I love this thing. Then came a big bucket lister for me. I've always wanted to find a linked set of Cufflinks. Today that happened. I also dug another Cufflink with a rose design on it. After I got home I realized I had both of them. Not sure if this is considered a Tudor rose or not. I found a few shoe buckle frags and a few nice early buttons including two early pewters with the huge shanks.
I decided to hike out and try to locate David's cabin site today. I had no luck but I found a random shoe buckle frame which was a nice surprise. I also have found rear there were 2 other early cabins on this property. If they're half as productive as this one it's gonna be quite a year. These two hunts have been so fun. Thanks for looking and any info on the mystery piece and the links would be much appreciated
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 40
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe, the soil is SO NICE to the coppers coming out of that site. The farthing is beautiful. Congrats on the cufflinks :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve I'm pretty excited about the links. Always wanted a linked set. This soil is so nice. As excited as I was about the real I'm more excited to add some great looking coppers to the collection. The farthing is kind of a dream come true

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Abe, very well done. The coins are spectacular. WOW!

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I am just loving how things are shaping up for you right now. Near mint farthing plus cufflinks!? That oval is a display centerpiece...museum quality. And I just can't believe the amount and quality of coppers. That spot must have had some serious commerce going on. With lots of snow. And cold hands. "Now, sir, you still owe me a haypenny and a farthing for the milling...'twas your own purse that fell from, not mine!"

Happy you are having such a great 2016!

This oval piece is really something man. It's gonna be a great year. Never thought I'd be this far ahead in March. You're not doing too bad yourself with a Spanish jumping out of the ground for you. And yes it appears the mill business didn't suck back then. Glad they didn't mind dropping a few 8-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great day! If you were ever going to hit a super rare copper that's the place you want to do it! It's actually a shame it predates marked military, but I'm sure you'll find sites dating a little later that also give up nice condition. I know it takes a whole lot more effort to find, and sometimes get to these, as our farm fields here, but when you get condition like that, I would certainly make the effort if I had the option here. So few nice coppers come out here it was only right the detecting God planted lots of early military buttons.

Yeah these spots are tough to locate....but that's why nobody else has found them. It's funny you mention the military buttons. I keep thinking to myself "I wish this site went about 30-40 more years." But I will get on some of those sites as well. Pretty much everything here has been pre 1750. I am pretty darn happy to have some nice coppers for the collection. Gonna be a very fun year my friend

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's crazy to put a years full of early coppers away so quickly. Hope the other sites are half as good. If I can locate them of course

For the condition here that would likely be several years worth. Almost every wooded area here is too thick to hunt, which is too bad. But I am making a mental note right now to keep an eye out for places where a detector can be swung, and then I'll follow up to see if anything was there.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !! That's just incredible !!! It's an awesome group of finds, the condition of the coins is great! Congrats and HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Ahab, those finds would make a great season for me let alone. Congrats on having a Banner day. :occasion14::notworthy:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a spectacular day-both in the quantity of coins/relics and the quality of that beautiful farthing. Congrats!

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds Ahab! Gorgeous coins!:o I'm getting pretty jealous over here.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic site you're on buddy. It's a very rare occurrence to find that many colonial coins in one spot. Congrats on those early 18th century cuff-links, but I still think my favorite is that oval leather ornament. Gotta go run my 8 mile race now so I'll catch up later ....

Glad you killed it at the race man. I too love the oval piece. I think I will make a display specifically for this site when I finish it. I may write about this site and the finds too. I think the story is worth telling

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! That's treasure!!!

It sure is! These colonial finds tell such an amazing story. Knowing who owned this place makes it so much better

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That farthing looks great Ahab8, looks like there's plenty more to come.:thumbsup:

Cheers Rob. Hope there's a few good ones still left in the dirt

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm stunned. What a haul ! You are going to need bigger pouches. Nice history about the 1749 coppers too.
Best of Luck!
Phil

Thanks Phil. Yes it was nice to learn about the influx of 1749 Brit coppers. I love learning new bits of history

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning 1749 Farthing, 18th Century Cufflinks, Shoe Buckle, Intricate Myster...

Congrats on a great bunch of finds

Thanks trapper. Continued luck to you sir

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great farthing!, that's an impressive group of finds, great hunt again!

Thanks bud. Hope you finish the project and get back out soon

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got yourself on some great dirt. Great finds, but the farthing is a killer. To get any farthing, let alone one this nice is near impossible. I found a decent one last year also dated 1749. Actually it's kind of interesting how many 1749's come out of the ground and how they seem to come out of the ground better than the rest of the KG II's. Here's mine.

View attachment 1284775 View attachment 1284774

Thanks buddy. Great coins. Did you see how many 1749s they shipped over here? It's a staggering amount

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread