Stupid Possum but pin pointer saves the day!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have caught several possums in the last week or so in our live traps. I move them from our area to about 7 miles away to an area that I detect. Everything else that we catch is out as quickly as you can open the trap but not the possums. Occasionally we get one that will get out fairly quickly but not most. This morning, had a very large male in the trap. He hissed and showed me his teeth non stop and backed into the back corner. I used a bungee cord to keep the trap open and went to sit in the truck and wait because it was drizzling. He had a death grip on the wire cage with every toe and stayed sulled up. After thirty minutes, I got tired of waiting and tried everything to get him out but oh no. I was trying to find something to poke it with when I thought of my pin pointer. So I got the ole carrot and turned it on. He cowered but when the vibrating tip coming thru the cage touched him, he decided to bail out and was gone. Now I know a quick and easy way to get them out, who knew.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett pin pointer,..... what can't it do?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sloth.PNG

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, some people don't realize that they are in fact a predator and will kill and eat cats , especially kittens and small dogs. Those canine teeth are there for a reason. yes they scavenge a lot and appear slow and stupid but they can move when needed to. But when they sull up, they are in a defensive mode and will bite and they have a very mean strong bite.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works on a Possum, but don't try it on a Skunk!

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never tried a Garrett Pinpointer to ward them off, but my greyhound does a pretty good job of keeping them at bay :tongue3:

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, some people don't realize that they are in fact a predator and will kill and eat cats , especially kittens and small dogs. Those canine teeth are there for a reason. yes they scavenge a lot and appear slow and stupid but they can move when needed to. But when they sull up, they are in a defensive mode and will bite and they have a very mean strong bite.

I remember reading that the possum holds the record for most teeth of any mammal on earth.

They have a mouth full.

possum teeth.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those things always creep me out theres a skunk that walks around my house for the last few years even an hour or 2 before dark it creeps me out too

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
possums are great at ...TICK CONTROL....so they are good for something

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like opossums! Stopped traffic to let a big girl safety close the state highway once. She had a lot of babies on board.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
The opossum has been around for at least 70 million years and is one of Earth's oldest surviving mammals! The opossum is about the size of a large house cat. It has a triangular head and a long pointed nose. It has grayish fur everywhere but on its ears, feet and tail.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We have caught several possums in the last week or so in our live traps. I move them from our area to about 7 miles away to an area that I detect. Everything else that we catch is out as quickly as you can open the trap but not the possums. Occasionally we get one that will get out fairly quickly but not most. This morning, had a very large male in the trap. He hissed and showed me his teeth non stop and backed into the back corner. I used a bungee cord to keep the trap open and went to sit in the truck and wait because it was drizzling. He had a death grip on the wire cage with every toe and stayed sulled up. After thirty minutes, I got tired of waiting and tried everything to get him out but oh no. I was trying to find something to poke it with when I thought of my pin pointer. So I got the ole carrot and turned it on. He cowered but when the vibrating tip coming thru the cage touched him, he decided to bail out and was gone. Now I know a quick and easy way to get them out, who knew.

I knew they were good for something.:laughing7: Funny story dirtlooter.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought you arkies ate them

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possums eat more ticks than any other critter in the woods. so when I see one I do everything I can to leave them alone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread