Suprise cache of cash

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During my work as a finance officer, one of my officers in my department came across a pretty big cache of coins in a deceased estate that our office was managing

We initially found 2 bank bags full of pennies in the house, and then weeks later when a old rusted out car was moved from its resting spot in a open field we found approx 15bags and 20 ice-cream tins packed full of coin: penny's, half penny's, schilling’s, florin’s, Holey Dollar, Dump, Sixpence’s etc

Why this gentlemen had this money hidden no one knew, there was rumours he did a bank robbery, but why would anyone want to steal coin instead of paper? I suggested that paper burns and coin doesn't ;) maybe he intended to hide the money until no one remembered.. and if so this is where things didn't work out for him.
Most of the coin now wouldn't be worth much at all, I assume the whole collection is now going to be sold at auction and due to the sheer size of the coins that are in the collection it might go un-noticed and bought by a lucky punter who might find some rare coins.

Anyhow thought I'll let you all know that there are many caches out there still to be found that no one has documented about and they can be found by sheer luck.

Take it easy & happy hunting,
Tom.

PS: Looking at values of some of the rare coins today IF this collection has rare Australian coins that collectors are after, it could fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars.

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Fascinating. I would never had guessed that a rusted out car would be a hiding place for that size a cache. I wonder how many times I have overlooked the obvious.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
You're absolutely right there, Tommi. There are still undocumented caches out there that can be found by sheer luck (plus a good metal detector). And thanks for the tip about the rusted out car. I know of two rusted out cars in two different wooded areas where caches have been found. It was thought that they were used as markers. Now I have to go back to those places and poke around the cars. Could be a cache or two buried right next to the cars. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pleasure :)

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Tommi,
I was just wondering if you, or anyone else, has ever hunted this property with a detector? Shoot, I would probably be willing to make a trip around the globe to hunt this one!
xXx

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My wife's uncle still keeps his cash - literally all of it - in the trunk of an old rusted car in his backyard. Doesn't trust banks at all. He keeps a continual count of it, too. He almost disowned his son when he found out that his son took a few dollars out without asking. Found out by recounting it. Weird, huh? You think of the old misers as living years ago, but they are still here today. Tow truck, anyone?

Best to you,
Darren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread