Sweet little 18k band almost rolled up in the garbage.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was replacing carpet the other day at a house and while I was rolling up the old carpet I looked down and spied this beautiful little gold ring laying at my feet. This isn't the first time this has happened either.

100_2163.jpg

I could tell it was gold and I could see an inscription inside the band but I couldn't read it so I put it in my pocket and went about my business. When I got home later that day I put a loupe to it and could see it was marked 18k and had a date of 27/10/66 inside of it. I asked the man I was doing the job for if he knew anything about the previous occupants and he said that it was a foreclosure and he didn't know anything about the previous owner. I tried a property search but it was in the name of an LLC. Oh well, I guess it's mine now.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Save, I Have found jewellery that way before, The other good area to look is in kids toy boxes!!! Especially if you are trashing out houses or apartments. Don't forget to look under the bottom of the drawers especially in the kitchen an bathrooms!!!!! and furniture also

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back and It was Pull tab Heck!!!!! 5.5 lbs of sinkers biggest was 16 oz , then there were the 2 rotted knives nails, bottle caps etc etc etc no gold or silver but i still enjoy the Addiction Will be back at it tomorrow morning!! HH Chug

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've found all kinds of little things in old carpet (mostly earrings), but then i'm always looking too. Found a ring in a kitchen drawer once. I found 10 grand in $100 bills once under the carpet in a corner in some guys house once. When I gave it to him he said he'd forgot all about it being there. No reward but he did give us each a $100 tip for the install though, so that was cool. :thumbsup:

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hi, I found an 18k band once that looked exactly like the one you have except it was damaged. It had a Scandinavian hallmark on it so when I took it to the jewelry store, they tested it and it turned out to be a little over 21k. Beautiful ring :icon_thumright: Paul :coffee2:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've found all kinds of little things in old carpet (mostly earrings), but then i'm always looking too. Found a ring in a kitchen drawer once. I found 10 grand in $100 bills once under the carpet in a corner in some guys house once. When I gave it to him he said he'd forgot all about it being there. No reward but he did give us each a $100 tip for the install though, so that was cool. :thumbsup:

I find that very hard to believe, if someone stashes $10,000 under the carpet they would never forget that they hid it there if they were apparently still in a lucid state of mind!!!! ::) ::)

My thinking is that the money was put there by a previous owner that past away, or due to Alzheimer forgot the money was hidden, and the present owner just said that!

I guess he is still the rightful owner of the money since he is the present owner no matter who hid the money to began with, or would he be? :dontknow:

Skip

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU Seeker said:
diggummup said:

I find that very hard to believe, if someone stashes $10,000 under the carpet they would never forget that they hid it there if they were apparently still in a lucid state of mind!!!! ::) ::)

My thinking is that the money was put there by a previous owner that past away, or due to Alzheimer forgot the money was hidden, and the present owner just said that!

I guess he is still the rightful owner of the money since he is the present owner no matter who hid the money to began with, or would he be? :dontknow:

Skip
Who knows... :dontknow: but the home was worth a few million, so he had money and this is Miami in the late '80s were talking about.

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How does one "forget" about 10 grand? Lol

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you justify keeping a ring found in a house belonging to someone other than you?

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does one "forget" about 10 grand? Lol
Ask Tony Montana and his little friend, lol. Miami was the wild, wild west in the early 80's. Mad cocaine money everywhere. Race riots in Liberty City. Murdering/drug dealing cops. Bales of dope floating by/ washing up weekly. This is a true story, believe it or not.

How do you justify keeping a ring found in a house belonging to someone other than you?
Uh, if you'd learn how to read the post correctly you will see how I justify it. I'm not gonna spell it out for you. If you can't comprehend plain English then maybe you need to go back to school... kid.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked the man I was doing the job for if he knew anything about the previous occupants and he said that it was a foreclosure and he didn't know anything about the previous owner. I tried a property search but it was in the name of an LLC. Oh well, I guess it's mine now.

Foreclosure or not, the house was owned by someone other than you at the time you took the ring. You had no right to remove valuable items from it. My English comprehension is just fine, but you're ethics need some help.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring Dig's! You gotta know, Texas would NEVER understand S. Florida, unless lived here.
I remember the 80's and the riots down here, someone took a shot at me, on my bike one day. Heard the bullet whiz past my head,
bike went in to "ludicrous speed"! LOL!

Usually, one could find a whole house, out by the curb! LOL! And, if a box of detergent falls of a truck, PICK IT UP! LOL!
How much money was in that one, that was on the news yrs back? LOL! A few hundred thou! LOL!
Yep Miami, sure is a world unto itself.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go talk to a rock or a tree stump or something... kid.

Wow..that's being a bit rude. (sir...please note the "Universal Rule" found my signature line)

I read and comprehend very well, and yes, it is obvious you wish
to keep the ring. Still, a very simple search of the county tax records
(address is all you need) and you'll have the previous owners name. That
is also called "due diligence" when making an effort to find the rings owner.
Could be you still can't get in touch with them, but at least you'll know
you made the attempt.

I believe this is the link you'll need to make the search:

https://www.broward.county-taxes.com/public

They may have been poor and lost their home, but that ring could
mean the world to the former occupant...and "meaning the world" in
this case has -0- to do with money.

BTW, Legally, that is considered "real" property you were installing that carpet in,
and currently the bank owns the house right along with everything in it.
(There are several questions I could ask here, but you get the point, I believe.)

If you choose not to return it, that's your decision to make. Keep in mind that,
just because someone can get away with doing something inappropriate, it does
not make it right.

My
twocents-1.gif

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD, he did search property, to find it owned by an LLC. Could search sun-biz, but LLC probably disbanded and no forward address.
Bank property! LOL! That's rich! Many must not have ever tried to deal with these banks and their REO dept! LOL! What a joke!
It AIN"T small town America, down here! One could spend a lifetime looking for someone that gives a poot!

Dig's, I'm glad I never told anyone bout that beautiful fake diamond and silver ring I found in the Hallandale Beach parking lot. They'd probably wonder why I didn't stay there for a month or 2, waiting for the owner to show back up!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DD, he did search property, to find it owned by an LLC. Could search sun-biz, but LLC probably disbanded and no forward address.
Bank property! LOL! That's rich! Many must not have ever tried to deal with these banks and their REO dept! LOL! What a joke!
It AIN"T small town America, down here! One could spend a lifetime looking for someone that gives a poot!

Dig's, I'm glad I never told anyone bout that beautiful fake diamond and silver ring I found in the
Hallandale Beach parking lot. They'd probably wonder why I didn't stay there for a month or 2,
waiting for the owner to show back up!

Entirely different circumstances finding a ring in the common parking lot Pat.

Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes us all different. I don't
do "debate", so I'll allow my comments above to stand as-is.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow..that's being a bit rude. (sir...please note the "Universal Rule" found my signature line)

I read and comprehend very well, and yes, it is obvious you wish
to keep the ring. Still, a very simple search of the county tax records
(address is all you need) and you'll have the previous owners name. That
is also called "due diligence" when making an effort to find the rings owner.
Could be you still can't get in touch with them, but at least you'll know
you made the attempt.

I believe this is the link you'll need to make the search:

https://www.broward.county-taxes.com/public

They may have been poor and lost their home, but that ring could
mean the world to the former occupant...and "meaning the world" in
this case has -0- to do with money.

BTW, Legally, that is considered "real" property you were installing that carpet in,
and currently the bank owns the house right along with everything in it.
(There are several questions I could ask here, but you get the point, I believe.)

If you choose not to return it, that's your decision to make. Keep in mind that,
just because someone can get away with doing something inappropriate, it does
not make it right.

My
twocents-1.gif
To start with SIR, this thread is over three years old. IF you would have read it correctly you would have noticed that. So I wouldn't brag about reading and comprehending very well if I were you. There is nothing worse than a damn over righteous johnny do gooder jumping on someones bandwagon when they don't even know where the wagon is heading to.
FYI... I am well aware of how to search property tax records. I do it on a weekly basis. At he time... THE HOUSE WAS OWNED BY THE BANK BEFORE THAT AN LLC. This translates to... THE PREVIOUS OCCUPANTS WERE RENTERS, henceforth, there is/was no way to track them down. I am not going to give the ring back to the bank. The house was empty, save for some dirty old carpet with cheetos, crayons and yes, the ring in it. I did my "due diligence". So don't question my integrity because you don't know me, my circumstances, my beliefs or anything else about me. With that being said, if you did know me, you would have never posted what you did. That's all I have to say about that. In closing, I will be an "ass" whenever the situation is deemed appropriate in my eyes. This was one of those times. Have a nice day... sir.

Nice ring Dig's! You gotta know, Texas would NEVER understand S. Florida, unless lived here.
I remember the 80's and the riots down here, someone took a shot at me, on my bike one day. Heard the bullet whiz past my head,
bike went in to "ludicrous speed"! LOL!

Usually, one could find a whole house, out by the curb! LOL! And, if a box of detergent falls of a truck, PICK IT UP! LOL!
How much money was in that one, that was on the news yrs back? LOL! A few hundred thou! LOL!
Yep Miami, sure is a world unto itself.
Agreed! This place was crime central in the 80's. Cops couldn't handle the influx of Cubans and the drugs that came with them. Christ, they couldn't even handle their own police force. Most people don't understand why most of the Florida natives down here, packed up and headed for the hills years ago. In the past I have had concrete blocks smashed through my windshield, just driving down the street. I have been pulled over and questioned by police for being a "white boy in a black neighborhood," verbatim. I have been bombarded by street dealers trying to sell me dope just by driving down the wrong street. I was beat up side the head once because I rear ended someone by accident in the hood. A whole group of street urchins surrounded me while this was going on. Granted, my employment back then led me into these types of areas on a regular basis but sh!t happens nonetheless.
And yes, entire home contents would be set on the curb on a regular basis. My in-laws owned a sanitation company for 55 years on Miami Beach. My bro-in-law has found literally truckloads of valuables (including gold, diamonds and silver jewelry and coins) that he has rescued from the trash.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you'll re-read my comment you'll see that I was in no way rude or disrespectful
to you. No need to get your knickers in a wad over someone respectfully sharing
their opinion, and the diatribe above was certainly not warranted.

As said above, I don't do debate, so I wish you well and will avoid your threads
in the future.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD, Dig's is one of the good guys down here. If you did know him, I think you would agree, and I would NOT just say that about anyone.

Lawl! Dig's, I didn't even notice the date either! LOL!
Yeah, don't dare take a wrong turn off 31st, Sistrunk, 5th&5th..... few other places. Man, I remember stopping at stop signs, to be mobbed by 20 dealers, all sticking stuff in the windows, and trying to pull anything that looked like money OUT!
I've had Bro's tell me, "little girl, you need to get out of this neighborhood and fast"! I have even had some HELP me and show me how to get out of bad neighborhoods, in the past. I do believe "someone" is watching over me, or somehow, I've been greatly blessed, even down here, in all this........... Nope Toto, it ain't Kansas! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread