Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Team Dan & Bill got out again over the weekend to make a return visit to our site that's recently produced a ton of buttons and other early artifacts. After dealing with some partially frozen ground for a couple hours we decided to check out the adjacent woods which quickly sloped down to a nice spring stream. We started noticing a lot of iron as soon as we entered the woods, but decided to head down and check out the stream first. It was at the bottom of a narrow gorge and was loaded with smooth river rocks as well as plenty of huge scallop and clam shells which had been eroding into the stream from the steep bank. We also noticed a lot of brick as well as some black glass. Soon we were getting some large, deep iron signals and began to quickly pull out some interesting items. I started out with a little mini colonial plantation hoe that had an offset collar which was rather unique. I quickly followed that with a huge early, rectangular hoe in nice shape. Both of these items were 18-24" down and it was tough digging through all the rocks and shells to recover them. All this time Dan was working on his own deep iron signal, and ended up digging the best find from the stream which he'll tell you about in his post. I also recovered a colonial flat iron minus the handle and a giant iron bell with an intact but heavily corroded clapper. I definitely have my work cut out for me in the electrolysis department. I also recovered some iron pot frags as well as a large piece to the base of a colonial brazier. The pic below shows what the original brazier would have looked like.

We decided to end our hunt here so we could move on to check out a new site we had just gotten permission for. We knew from our research that a well-know CW home used to exist on this site, and we believed it dated back to colonial times as evidenced by our land patent study. As soon as I walked out into the field near the iron patch my first target was a large, high tone signal that I was sure would be junk. But I was quite shocked when I unearthed a sword belt plate with a great green patina, although it had been damaged by the plow. Not sure of the exact age of this item, so if any of you CW experts can help with that it would be appreciated. We hunted the site for about 3 hours, and the overall quantity of finds was a little disappointing. Plus, we hadn't been able to recover anything purely colonial which was puzzling. That was until near the end of the hunt when I was again surprised when a heavily clipped spanish cob revealed itself in the mud soup. It's not in the best shape and the details are not sharp, but I'll take it. The pic below shows the sloppy mudhole I pulled the cob from. Shortly thereafter we called it quits for the day, and started looking forward to returning to both sites again soon. Had a blast as usual Dan!

** Sorry for the random order of the pics but the system jumbled them up during upload (which seems to be a common problem).

Attachments

• stream2.JPG
    stream2.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 021614b.JPG
    021614b.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 021614h.JPG
    021614h.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 182
  • brazier3.jpg
    brazier3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 021614k.JPG
    021614k.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 021614e.JPG
    021614e.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 021614d.JPG
    021614d.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 021614g.JPG
    021614g.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 021614f.JPG
    021614f.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 021614c.JPG
    021614c.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 021614i.JPG
    021614i.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 021614a.JPG
    021614a.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh you guys, you guys! I'm buried in snow and freezing cold temps. You lucky dogs are out digging holes in the dirt like crazy. Very nice stuff you've got there. Damn plow :-) always look forward to seeing what you fellas find. You never disappoint. Keep it up. Maybe in a few months I will have something to post

calmerthanu

Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon / minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like the 1851 style sword belt plate

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; Great finds there. I love digging the cobs. I can hardly wait to see more pcs. CONGRATS.
Now if only I could go digging.!! Blasted Winter. !!!
PEACE:RONB

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Bill. Really a shame that the plow and your sword belt plate had to meet like that :BangHead: She would have been a beauty with that patina! I tried naming my photos starting with the number of the order I wanted them to appear: 1xxxx, 2xxxx, etc. It actually worked the one time I tried that.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta like that, keepers and such a time range. You never know what to expect for a find, but a place like that you really never know what might turn up.

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done Bill & Dan!! I learn so much from you guys, thanks for sharing and continued success.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great day in the dirt "slop". Hard to imagine what Dan got if it beats a plate, AND a cob ???. I'll say I'd be pretty stoked to get those in one hunt.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cob and plate and other goodies, Bill! Still waiting for my first cob! The plate appears older than mine I found last year...not sure on exact age.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You fellas pull a museum out of the ground every time you go out. Great stuff. Congratulations!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to see such good finds damaged by the plow... what a nice green patina!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had fun as always Bill. The plate is a 1851 Sword Belt Plate - not to be confused with the Officer Sword Belt plate.

Congrats again!

Dan

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bill! Great finds!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that the cob and the belt plate are awesome and do stand out in this group, but I'm really starting to appreciate those old iron farm tools. I'd be thrilled to add some colonial hoes to my collection of finds. As for the damaged plate, have you considered having an expert restore it?

Last edited:

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome sword belt plate Bill! They are VERY hard to find. I think that is definitely worth getting repaired. Congratulations! Devonrex

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man you guys found allot of nice stuff.die hard diggers getting down with the mud and the slop.:boots:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that the cob and the belt plate are awesome and do stand out in this group, but I'm really starting to appreciate those old iron farm tools. I'd be thrilled to add some colonial hoes to my collection of finds. As for the damaged plate, have you considered having an expert restore it?

I've thought about it Steve, but it will probably cost more than I'm willing to spend. But a restoration would certainly improve the appearance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread