What's new

The Best Metal Detector for a 5 year old is????? Help!

relicminer

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2010
Messages
428
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a 5 year old little girl that loves to get out in the yard with me and metal detect ( I think it's the digging she likes). Who makes a kids metal detector that is actually worth spending money on. Now I'm not expecting her to find silver @ 6 inch's . Just want her to have fun and enjoy this wonderful hobby and maybe learn some stuff along the way!!
 
Tesoro Compadre $160.00 but dont be surprised if you end up using it.
 
thanks George! I'll take a look!
 
If you think they will be really into it, the Ace 250 isn't too bad. Even then you'd have a nice backup. Maybe a Bounty Hunter from Wal-Mart? I hear their version is basically just a Quick-Draw II model with a different name and cheaper.
 
3 things ...anything that beeps...anything thats cheap & anything that is adjustable so when he sprouts up he can still use!....Just my 2 cents!
 
The ACE 250 is a very heavy detector and not ideal for someone that young. The Bounty Hunter Quick Silver is quite light in weight. Also the Quick draw 2.
 
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. You can get them on ebay for about $110 delivered. My son had one for years and the stuff he found with it paid for it many times over.
 
I have the Ace 250 and the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV both are to big for her. Someone else posted about a New Bounty Hunter Pioneer for $20 bucks at wal-mart. Checked it out, its perfect, only not available yet... oh well we can wait...
 
Tesoro Silver Sabre.

Really light, and simple to use. You need that for her to keep interested.

Got one for $50 on Craigslist.
 
The best thing for a child of that age is a father who is willing to spend the time to go metal detecting with her. Sounds like she already has that. Keep it up! Monty
 
Monty said:
The best thing for a child of that age is a father who is willing to spend the time to go metal detecting with her. Sounds like she already has that. Keep it up! Monty
Monty is right. She is way to young to use a detector and a entry level would be way to heavy for her. Better to let her try yours once in awhile.

My nine year old grand daughter wanted to try metal detecting so I let her use my 1235 in the yard after I tossed out some coins on the surface. She found them all and handed me the detector saying, "I'm done with this." She then went in the house to watch cartoons. ::)
 
you could try a Bounty Hunter Jr. it's nothing special, but it does work down to about 4 inches and light enough a 5 year old can swing it. they're around 50 bucks, new
 
I got 6 grandkids that i bought each a ace 150 for christmas ages are from 6 to 15. The 6 yr old uses a weed eater sling that goes around the shoulder to help take some of the weight off. I stay right their with him and help him with the digging he finds more things than i do .
He got it down pat on how to use it.
The funny thing about it is that when we find anything it goes in his pocket :laughing7:
 
a five year old is still a little young to get into detecting. At 8 years old would be a better age to get them into the hobbie whites makes a coin master thats a turn on and go unit and they can also get a pee wee rod that is made for short children. this would be my first choice.
 
Some kids at 5 may not be too young, but their motor skills will probably be lacking when they start trying to dig. I tried with 2 of my grandkids when they were 5 and one. Although they were interested they just couldn't do it so they just watched grandpa and played with the pennies I dug up at a local park. Monty
 

Attachments

  • Springs Silver 024.webp
    Springs Silver 024.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 259
This little hillbilly girl can dig like a badger!! She loves the suprize of finding stuff... I found a Bounty Hunter Fun Finder at Wal-mart for $35... Comes with a treasure pouch and cheap plastic trowel.. At least now she can get out in the yard with me. I'll do some planting to keep her interest, maybe even tot lot wood chip hunting would interest her... Anyway thanks for everyones Ideas!!!!
 

Attachments

  • Bounty Hunter Fun Finder.webp
    Bounty Hunter Fun Finder.webp
    10 KB · Views: 868
I think the best tector for a five year old is a twenty dollar wonder. When he (sorry, she!) is ten, grab her an F75 or Etrac. When she is twelve, she will be some of the best.
 
relicminer said:
This little hillbilly girl can dig like a badger!! She loves the suprize of finding stuff... I found a Bounty Hunter Fun Finder at Wal-mart for $35... Comes with a treasure pouch and cheap plastic trowel.. At least now she can get out in the yard with me. I'll do some planting to keep her interest, maybe even tot lot wood chip hunting would interest her... Anyway thanks for everyones Ideas!!!!
Good choice. relicminer. It may only go a few inches deep, but if you can get in a wood chip tot lot and place some coins just under the chips, then let her go. I believe she would have a great time. Maybe even plant some cheap earrings/jewelry for her to find!
I cannot believe people recommended something that weighs 3 lbs+ and 2-2.5 times her height. That would be like a full grown man using a 10-12 foot metal detector that weighs 40+ lbs
My 10 and 9 year old use my coinmaster, but I also put on the shortest lower rod I have and shorten it up more by using the furthest up holes.
 
the one I originally purchased for my daughter is exactly like yours except is says Bounty Hunter Junior
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom