The Outdoors Channel Pulls Production out of CO due to proposed gun laws

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted first to thank Michael Blane for standing up for what is right, and secondly for taking the necessary steps to help spread the word in his industry and helping to open the eyes of others who would have driven the economy of Colorado’s outdoors revenue base up.

I personally believe we should Boycott all Hunting Trips to Colorado until these laws are repealed and these bums are thrown out of the state.

our attorneys referred to them as “flypaper laws”
Unfortunately as it was with the ESOS, there are those who are hurt in such actions who have no fault in the system except maybe not doing enough to be sure their state went down this dark and dirty road they are on now.

We will be watching this situation very closely ! And reporting back with any more news, but I am asking you to spread the word, forward this post to everyone you know, and post it in every outdoors forum you can think of, please think twice of booking trips, not just hunting, but any trips to Colorado in the future.

I would in fact encourage all of your to contact Mr. King and let him know how much money he would have gotten from trips you would have planned to Colorado in the future… His information is:

STEVE KING
State Senator – District 7
Office Location: 200 East Colfax
Denver, CO 80203
Capitol Phone: 303-866-3077
E-Mail: [email protected]

Thanks again Mr. Bane… The Entire letter he sent to Mr. King is posted below !

If we don’t make this stand and do it NOW, we will never have the chance to get these rights back… EVER !

Please do your part now, and let everyone know… Email this, post it, forward and share this to everyone you can !!!

Dear Senator King;

I met you yesterday after the so called “public hearings” on the antigun bills; as I mentioned, I am an Executive Producer for OUTDOOR CHANNEL. I currently have four series in production, included GUN STORIES, the top show on OC, with several additional series in development. My series focus on guns, hunting, shooting and the outdoors.

This morning I met with my three Producers, and we made the decision that if these antigun bills become law, we will be moving all of our production OUT of Colorado.

We have already cancelled a scheduled filming session for late this month. Obviously, part of this is due to our own commitment to the right to keep and bear arms, but it also reflects 3 lawyers’ opinions that these laws are so poorly drafted and so designed to trap otherwise legal citizens into a crime (one of our attorneys referred to them as “flypaper laws”) that it is simply too dangerous for us to film here.

I can give you chapter and verse on the legal implications if you need, but suffice to say that the first legal opinion was so scary we went out and got two others. Al three attorneys agreed.

We are relatively small potatoes in television, but our relocation of production will cost Colorado a little less than a million dollars in 2013.

Secondly, we have proudly promoted Colorado in our productions (and have been moving more and more production into the state); now we will do exactly the opposite.

What does this mean for Colorado? The community of television producers is a small one. Last week I had lunch witha major network producer who was looking to locate his new reality series in Colorado. That producer is also a shooter, and the new reality series will now be based out of Phoenix. That lunch cost Colorado over a million in economic impact.

Thirdly, according to numbers I received from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (for whom I used to work) yesterday, hunting had an almost $800,000,000 impact on Colorado in 2012, driving as many as 8330 jobs. Next month I will be in Texas meeting with most of the top outdoor/hunting producers, and the Number One agenda item will be Colorado. Already, hunting organizations and statewide hunting clubs around the country are pulling out of Colorado, and we expect this trend to accelerate rapidly.

The message we will take to our viewers and listeners is that these proposed laws are so dangerous to hunters and any other person, be she a fisherman or a skier who brings a handgun into the state for self-defense, that we cannot recommend hunting, fishing or visiting Colorado.

We reach millions of people, and, quite frankly, we have a credibility that Colorado government officials can no longer match. Colorado Division of Wildlife is already running ads trying to bring more out of state hunters to Colorado… in light of the flood of negative publicity about these proposed laws, I can assure you those ads will fail.

We estimate that as many as one quarter to one third of out of state hunters will desert Colorado in the next 18-24 months, which will quite frankly be a disaster for the hunting industry in Colorado and have a devastating effect on our western and northern communities (certainly like Grand Junction).

This is not a “boycott” in the traditional sense of a centralized, organized operation; rather, it is more of a grassroots decision on where shooters, hunters and other sportsmen are willing to spend their money. Look at the collapse of the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in February. That venerable multimillion dollar trade show chose to ban modern sporting rifles and standard capacity magazines, and with three weeks it collapsed as all vendors and sponsors pulled out.

Colorado is going to pay a huge price for laws that will do nothing.

Thank you, sir, for your support.

Best.

Michael Bane

OUTDOOR CHANNEL

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great move but, looking at how the politicians are wanting to control guns so badly, The Outdoor Channel will have to eventually leave the country if they want to stand their ground.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need more people and busness's to stand up for our rights as The OC did. Bravo, and you have gained my admiration and continued support.:hello2:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Dear Mr Bane (or Blane..not sure which)
Thanks for your letter detailing your removal from our state. Unlike yourself, my luncheon partners have names and Mr Spielberg has informed me that his next movie will be set entirely in Colorado. The production has a pre-shoot budget of $640 million, a large slice of which will enter our economy.
The loss of income from your program is a huge loss to be sure, but we'll survive.

Cya
Steve King.

Not rocket science to make crap up is it? Still, i see your point - when desperate try "Blackmail". :thumbsup:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why dont we have a thumbs down button

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Mr Bane (or Blane..not sure which)
Thanks for your letter detailing your removal from our state. Unlike yourself, my luncheon partners have names and Mr Spielberg has informed me that his next movie will be set entirely in Colorado. The production has a pre-shoot budget of $640 million, a large slice of which will enter our economy.
The loss of income from your program is a huge loss to be sure, but we'll survive.

Cya
Steve King.

Not rocket science to make crap up is it? Still, i see your point - when desperate try "Blackmail". :thumbsup:

A show dedicated to hunting, fishing and outdoor life making a statement against attacks on our right to keep and bear arms......

Why don't you prove it is not true.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
XLTer

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Dano , your contradiction does'nt hold water this time . The beginning part of that post was from a good friend of mine . He just so happens to own 2 forums , ATVing and an Outdoor forum . I'm personally one of the moderators on one of those forums . ( I purposely did NOT include those LINKS out of respect for T-Net ) That gentleman and another good friend of ours were the 2 interviewed on National Radio for starting the Boycott of the Eastern Sportsmans Outdoor Show . The Outdoor Channel personally asked my friend to help Boycott CO. as they did the ESOS . Would you like some toe JAM to go with that foot your eating ?:tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
@Dustytrails - Because we prefer people to stand up and post their thoughts and opinions like real men (and women), not hide behind a "thumbs down" button.

@TH - Where did i say "it's not true"? (see below for help)

@XLTer - All i had a go at was the fact the guys "lunch date" has no name (as per usual in these kind of posts) and that $2 million lost (including loss from said dinner date guy) may not be such great grounds for blackmail as you might think!
Why would i be eating my foot? :dontknow:

OP
OP
XLTer

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano ( QUOTE )
Not rocket science to make crap up is it?

Dano ? Dano ?........ :dontknow:......No ? Apology accepted then .

Last edited:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
As explained in the post above - the making crap up part is concerned with the unnamed dinner guest, so often quoted in many other posts, such as "my NSA informant told me that the real truth is...." "My reliable source told me....." etc etc.

If no specific names are mentioned then it's leaving itself open to counter speculation.

Apology?...lol, umm...no!

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As explained in the post above - the making crap up part is concerned with the unnamed dinner guest, so often quoted in many other posts, such as "my NSA informant told me that the real truth is...." "My reliable source told me....." etc etc.

If no specific names are mentioned then it's leaving itself open to counter speculation.

Apology?...lol, umm...no!

People are so used to reading infowar type crap they actually don't know what real factual reporting looks or sounds like anymore.

OP
OP
XLTer

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely refuse to put a close friends name on the internet to prove anything . That's not what true friends do . But , I can stere you in the right derection for your own research of the facts . I personally will not use Facebook , so I can't help you there . But , the Boycott on the ESOS was started there . Just look at who started it and who assisted . Now , look at ALL of the vendors that pulled out of the ESOS . I assume ( since I don't do Facebook ) you will be able to connect the dots as to who spoke with whom personally ?

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's any persons and businesses full right to spend their money or do biz where ever they want. It wasn't too long ago when everyone was boycotting Arizona?? for their immigration laws if I remember correctly. This is America and all means if "protest" such ad this is completely legal. Personally I think individuals should always be aware of where their $$$s are going when they spend. This is all part of the great American process.

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Arizona might have been boycotted by someone, but it didn't change anything down in my part of Az. It was same old down here in Yuma.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Arizona might have been boycotted by someone, but it didn't change anything down in my part of Az. It was same old down here in Yuma.

Boycott Arizona, heck I was applauding them for the stand they took in upholding our immigration laws........

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It was Arizona wasn't it - for your immigration law?? I remember thinking at least you guys had the guys to pass something given the Feds are too scared to.

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was Arizona wasn't it - for your immigration law?? I remember thinking at least you guys had the guys to pass something given the Feds are too scared to.

Yeah it was us. All the illegals and illegal support groups were up in arms because people we're going to be questioned about their immigration status during traffic stops with police (among other things). That made Az racist and had to start boycotting because some groups saw the state funded freebie door getting closed. In my mind if you're not doing anything illegal, you don't need to fear police. But being this is America you can be totally illegal and complain about it and get your way...

Last edited:

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah it was us. All the illegals and illegal support groups were up in arms because people we're going to be questioned about their immigration status during traffic stops with police (among other things). That made Az racist and had to start boycotting because some groups saw the state funded freebie door getting closed.

That's it - your right. How dare you guys enforce laws that our fed gov doesnt feel the need to enforce. I don't think that boycott ever got much traction.

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No it really didn't. Like I said I saw no affect and alot of America was behind the immigration stand the state took.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread