Morning Sheperdess
Interesting subject that you brought up: "Friend".
Oh you hit a subject that I hold close to the chest the loosely used word. The word "acquaintance" is much more fitting for most if not all true knowing of two people.
It always rubbed a sore spot it seemed when somebody I never met would say "Oh how are you doing my friend?" "Or were all friends here" "Give me a better price my friend"
Oh sometimes it would just come boiling up inside and the thought of: "You know Jack Schitt about me & I about you" But here this person is saying friend.
I was told early on in life that really a person goes through life meeting many folks and many will be different degrees of acquaintances-but if you can truly count more true friends than the fingers on one hand-you're truly are fortunate/blessed/wealthy.......(put what word in that is most fitting)
When one really thinks of what the word means truly, and apply it to the relationships that we have throughout life-superficial at best many are.
Here is a Google explanation:
A true friend is someone you can rely on regardless of the circumstances. While they may give you the advice you don't want to hear from time-to-time, a true friend will never lead you purposely down the wrong road. They tell you as it is while presenting the truth to make it easy for you to receive.