THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As locals we stay in the house and off the water....its total madness and looks like a pirate festival on the lake !!:laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well on top of lobster madness.....there has been an absolute tsunami of cocaine, and Marijuana washing in. The helicopters from mosquito control, and the border patrol are buzzing all over the place. Throw in a coast guard chopper and its like a war zone. Every pirate in the keys is out on the water trying to find a million dollars worth of cocaine right now !! 4th fly over in the last 10 minutes !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We rented a home on AMI and the owner was a licensed lobster trapper. Rock lobster? Where he'd take one claw and throw them back.
He did off shore fishing as well and took out the crew/cast of theat reality show about fishing in Alaska, Deadliest Catch.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger....it is the most confusing and fluid set of regulations for any animal in the sea....rules change every year and each county has different rules. The mini season takes place before the regular season starts on August 6th. It gives people a chance to get some lobsters before the licensed trappers drop all there traps in. Guesstimates of 2 million lobsters being caught in 2 days are pretty close !! 3 inch minimum head length to keep one....it can not have eggs no matter how big !!

Its confusing for a reason.....More $$$s in fines collected :(

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats wierd is i hear no boat traffic.....that means with great weather and all hotels at max capacity, that everyone is already out there. Boats will begin there trip in from an early morning hunt about now. So in the beginning of this madness, it was easy to go in with your legal limit and drop it off at the dock and go back out for another limit....this way if im stopped at sea I never have over the limit of lobsters on the boat when stopped. This is cheating and your only allowed a daily limit. Thats why the road blocks are the norm now....if your towing a boat out of the keys you will be stopped and checked.....if there is only 2 of you and you have 120 lobsters your going to jail. You should have up to and not above 24 lobsters. So what that means is if you live here you can cheat...if you choose....but if your trailering a boat out of here you can't cheat. I hookah dove lobsters for along time....I don't care to catch them unless I'm paid to take people to do it. I'm looking for coins and treasure !!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the pirate days (and before) lobsters were used as fertilizer :BangHead:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna be a good 2 day season.....when I've been out in the water the lobsters have been thick....its a good year, there everywhere !!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well on top of lobster madness.....there has been an absolute tsunami of cocaine, and Marijuana washing in. The helicopters from mosquito control, and the border patrol are buzzing all over the place. Throw in a coast guard chopper and its like a war zone. Every pirate in the keys is out on the water trying to find a million dollars worth of cocaine right now !! 4th fly over in the last 10 minutes !!

That sounds crazy.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference between Maine lobster and spiny lobster is like the difference between eating lamb and eating mutton. Why anyone would risk jail for a lobster with tough and chewy flesh like a conch escapes me.

Around here it is mostly too hot for me. Highs in the upper 80s. But early this morning I caught a 22" walleye and about a 36" northern pike. I let the northern go. I hope it survives the release, that 80* air practically cooks them to death. They spend most of the summer 30' down where it is much cooler and with more oxygen.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Orange gold duckshot...orange gold !! I don't understand it either !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20210728-094836_Instagram.jpg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart. Great information on the lobster regulations and Well Said.
we used to set blue claw crab traps but the water purity now is not as good..
I can only imagine how cool it is to hunt for lobsters

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all.

I shouldn't laugh at Bart dodging Pirate traffic.... :laughing7:

Danged quiet here in the woods. A rooster down the road hollered earlier is about it.
Tinnitus in the quiet makes it sound like cicadas and crickets have a band warming up though. (It's more amusing in winter when there's no insects about.)

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roger,

Another lobster story....traditionally people in Newfoundland ate cod as their fish of choice. During the dirty 30's since everyone was scrambling to make a buck they'd eat lobster and sell the cod fish because it commanded a premium at the time.

They were so ashamed of eating the lobster they'd quietly bury the shell in the back yard so the neighbours wouldn't find out. How times have changed....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Back in the pirate days (and before) lobsters were used as fertilizer :BangHead:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had to watch it one... more... time :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions