THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning pepper and bill

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning folks....thank you ARC...always trying to improve my underwater techniques. Plenty room for improvement !! If you drag on the seafloor clouds of silt kick up, and visibility is affected.

Bart... it was perfect skim...

So low that the sea bugs had to duck. :)

And perfect speed.

Only thing i would say is... try doing a wider zig zig... farther left and right if comfortable.

Cover more area is always the key be it underwater or land.

So... think of a windshield wiper... swing making more of a large slow "swath" pattern.

One too far outta freq... is all it takes to miss.... keep this in your mind as you make the larger slow swaths.

The larger the swatch moving forward... the larger the probability that that coil edge will send you left or right onto a target that with a smaller swatch would miss.

:)

Best of luck... and i am serious when i say i have seen lots of people swing the coil incorrectly... too high off bed... too small swaths..

diminishing the chances of a hit.

Larger the area covered as you go the better... but none the less... you were fine with your technique... and if no larger swath is comfortable or achievable... you are still perfectly using an underwater detector IMO.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I can now say with 100% confidence that minelabs equinox series of detectors is not waterproof as advertised. After owning 5 different machines, and having all of them fail within 1 year, I can now safely assume that they have falsely advertised them as waterproof to 10 feet !! The first one failed at the 8 foot mark....all the rest failed at 5 feet or less !! What a crock of sh.t in there advertised features !! They should be sued in a class action law suit !! All I wanted was for these machines to hold up in half there rated depth !! Every single one has failed me in this regard. They must cost a fraction of what they charge...they send out replacement head units like there paper plates. What a scam !! Time to send 2 back again !! This one got me 30 + rings before it crashed !! So it is paid in full !!

Im so sick of dealing with minelabs customer service !! I've been in touch with them more than some of my own family !! It can be quick and painless or the biggest hassle ever....never know what your gonna get in the way of customer service with minelab !! In the meantime I'll miss the end of summer season dealing with this bull..it !! Im also sick of people on this site defending them over this....90% haven't got there's wet but say I'm wrong for pointing this out....im the villan because I expect them to live up to what they advertise ??

I DONT WANT AN ONGOING RELATIONSHIP WITH MINELABS CUSTOMER SERVICE !!

I just want to go hunt with a machine that works as advertised.....I would not have bought it if I knew it would not function as advertised !!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to go hunt with a machine that works as advertised.....

Well i just watched you using what is IMO... "industry standard"... "commercial grade"... TOOL.

There is a BIG difference between a "tool"... and a "toy".

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You obviously noticed immediately when you first picked up and used the 8x the lack of knobs... the lack of all the so called "bells and whistles"...

There is a reason for that.

It is SOLELY designed... TO FIND.

No bull... no crapola adjusting... go over metal... and beep.

It takes a lot of effort to dive and search... and IMO this is a "no bull" SERIOUS craft... which coincides with SERIOUS no bull tools.

The only detector other than the pulse i personally would recomend that has "more features"... adjusting capabilities... ESPECIALLY when in water... is the x2

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True ARC.....but I love the nox....so light weight, and it can perform great. The problem stems from minelab claiming water "PROOF", and not saying it water "RESISTANT ". Water resistant means that its really not waterproof. They should have stuck to the industry standards for waterproof....33 foot...one atmosphere. All watches and cameras use this standard and it should be applied to all products that claim a waterproof rating !! They are so far off the mark its embarrassing me now !! Its a great machine thats built like a toy !! Ill send it off with the other one....ill also b.tch this time and point out to them that I'm on to this crap....I want more back than just a replacement head unit now....what can they do to make it up to me? I've tested there stuff and been faithful to there products....my posts here on treasurenet have definitely helped them get a few sales....at least a few !! I've put up with all the bull, so what are they going to do for me above and beyond there normal obligations.....I AM THE FAITHFUL CUSTOMER!! I have spent thousands and thousands on there products.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well....I can now say with 100% confidence that minelabs equinox series of detectors is not waterproof as advertised. After owning 5 different machines, and having all of them fail within 1 year, I can now safely assume that they have falsely advertised them as waterproof to 10 feet !! The first one failed at the 8 foot mark....all the rest failed at 5 feet or less !! What a crock of sh.t in there advertised features !! They should be sued in a class action law suit !! All I wanted was for these machines to hold up in half there rated depth !! Every single one has failed me in this regard. They must cost a fraction of what they charge...they send out replacement head units like there paper plates. What a scam !! Time to send 2 back again !! This one got me 30 + rings before it crashed !! So it is paid in full !!

Im so sick of dealing with minelabs customer service !! I've been in touch with them more than some of my own family !! It can be quick and painless or the biggest hassle ever....never know what your gonna get in the way of customer service with minelab !! In the meantime I'll miss the end of summer season dealing with this bull..it !! Im also sick of people on this site defending them over this....90% haven't got there's wet but say I'm wrong for pointing this out....im the villan because I expect them to live up to what they advertise ??

I just want to go hunt with a machine that works as advertised.....I would not have bought it if I knew it would not function as advertised !!

:occasion14: HEAR-HEAR
Really who wants a relationship with a company repair centre/customer service department.

Been there-done that-cost me $100s-and ended up a POS that sits in the corner that I have $3K+ invested in.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya well....you know better than that....if they give me permission to post the pics of me digging a 18th century anchor i sure will...most of the finds are kept secret for the time being !! I've never seen a coin pulled yet....but there have been some incredible finds...especially this year !! Hopefully one day I can share more !! We dig a ton of trash...and I've done my fair share of clean up in the name of treasure hunting !!

I was just pulling your leg BB. I liked the video.

Amazing how much junk you find on the bottom of the ocean.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Disappointing for sure.
And while you don't like it , (nor do I ) , if you like the Minelab's ability in functions , you might need to mod them as far as waterproofing.

Sometimes knowing an items weaknesses is part of tailoring it. Knowing what's not suitable before modding. We been there on other goods.
I agree if advertised as waterproof to ten feet they should be.
A niche market is being missed to not be waterproof deeper. Let alone where it stands now. That niche adds up , in exchange for simply (well not that simply) making a unit water tight under greater pressure. Would the cost to the manufacturer make it impractical? Then mod fewer. But the basic unit already exists. Vs. starting over in tooling.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all.

Raining here. Opened the umbrella I keep outside on the wheelchair ramp , ever mindful of spiders.
A treefrog dropped out!
Not sure which of us was more startled.

Rehab appointment today.
New prosthetic socket and I have not been getting along.
But , away we'll go regardless.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all.

Raining here. Opened the umbrella I keep outside on the wheelchair ramp , ever mindful of spiders.
A treefrog dropped out!
Not sure which of us was more startled.

Rehab appointment today.
New prosthetic socket and I have not been getting along.
But , away we'll go regardless.

Well, dang! I have been meaning to ask and was hoping you were making progress. I hope rehab goes well today.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Ouch, yuk, poor you!
You might have a tolerance to the pain juice they use.
It will freeze everything except your tooth nerve.
Been there done that at the dentist years ago.
"OK, I gave you 9 regular, 5 of the high grade, I'll book a spot at the hospital "
The back of my head was frozen, but the tooth was alive with the sound of my whining.

Thanks for the sympathy, Pepper. I have never been a good dental patient. I took so many Ibuprofens yesterday. And slept. Woke up just in time to make the boss spaghetti. Mouth is still sore today. But on the bright side, all my other aches and pains aren't so bad. :laughing9:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the sympathy, Pepper. I have never been a good dental patient. I took so many Ibuprofens yesterday. And slept. Woke up just in time to make the boss spaghetti. Mouth is still sore today. But on the bright side, all my other aches and pains aren't so bad. :laughing9:
From having all the ivories either knocked, kicked or pulled I know a tad bit on the discomfort.
Just rinse properly after eating as you don't want a dry socket.
They hurt worse than the pull.
(Itty-bitty tiny piece of food gets in the socket, then it kind of heals over.
No a nice outcome.......
I wish sometimes I had Max's ivory white, strong, and a don't mess with me smile.:laughing7:
20190125_130530.jpg

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to punish me for the dentist did abuse me terribly already.

Excuses, excuses....

Pirates don need no stinkin teef!

Thats why we carry a boucan!

Boucaneers! :drunken_smilie:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, dang! I have been meaning to ask and was hoping you were making progress. I hope rehab goes well today.

With your hope combined , it did!
Might have been demanded a sobriety test wobbling around on the street had I tried it in the city , but mobility is there.

Teased the interns that wanted to tag along by my stating that for ten bucks a piece , no problem. (Even if they hadn't been cuties , they're always welcomed. How else are they going to gain experience?).

Did laps around the "track" for a bit over two minutes.
Stairs.
Ramp.
Sitting.

A start.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had our first outing to our stamp club in 15 months....sign in, masks, etc.....still nice to see our fellow members after all this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread