THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning WD and Jim. :wave:
Blasted Barnacles! I missed ye agin! G'morn and G'day, Antiquarian.

See the source image

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm making a 4.5hr drive to Ottawa this morning to pick up our daughter at university. Whenever I'm in Eastern Ontario, I always make it a point to stop at Grahames Bakery in Kemptville, ON. I just love their dinner rolls, bread and 'ox tongue' treats.

Grahames Bakery - Home of the heritage wood burning oven in Kemptville Ontario
Operating Since 1885

KEMPTVILLE -- When your 1885 commercial wood-fired oven goes on the fritz, who are you going to call?

The options are limited, but local baker Rick Grahame figured he knew the right guy for the job -- Carleton Place-area stonemason Joe Zuccarini, who trained at the hands of Italian masters. Zuccarini, a versatile craftsman who likes a good challenge, spends some of his time repairing heritage stone buildings. He had also constructed his own smaller-scale backyard wood oven, and a few years ago, he'd done a comparatively minor patch job on Grahame's mammoth oven, which retains some of its heat for up to four days after the fire has gone out.

The oven gained iconic status during the 1998 ice storm, when, with the power out for days, the oven was pressed into service to cook dozens of turkeys and other food for much of the community. Along with his sister Debbie, Grahame has been operating the bakery since 2005, when their father Ken -- a second-generation baker and legendary character who dished out diatribes along with the donuts -- passed away.

When Grahame noticed that part of the oven's arched brickwork had collapsed, he knew it was time for a major overhaul. With Zuccarini's input, the siblings considered their options: Closing down, changing over to a gas-fired oven or rebuilding the wood-fueled oven. "We decided to preserve the oven, not just for us but for everyone," Grahame said, adding that it's an important piece of Canadian history. It's also the bakery's trademark, giving bread, rolls and other baked goods a distinctive texture and taste.
Oh that is so cool that they saved it!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We are supposed to get tornadoes! Yippy skippy!
Yep
We’re in a bad tornado zone tonight also.
Expected 2 or 3 rated storm. 5 is the highest. A 5 hit Smithville Ms in about 2017 leveling the small town. About 12 miles north of me. Unlocked the shelter the AM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread