THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm making a 4.5hr drive to Ottawa this morning to pick up our daughter at university. Whenever I'm in Eastern Ontario, I always make it a point to stop at Grahames Bakery in Kemptville, ON. I just love their dinner rolls, bread and 'ox tongue' treats.

Grahames Bakery - Home of the heritage wood burning oven in Kemptville Ontario
Operating Since 1885

KEMPTVILLE -- When your 1885 commercial wood-fired oven goes on the fritz, who are you going to call?

The options are limited, but local baker Rick Grahame figured he knew the right guy for the job -- Carleton Place-area stonemason Joe Zuccarini, who trained at the hands of Italian masters. Zuccarini, a versatile craftsman who likes a good challenge, spends some of his time repairing heritage stone buildings. He had also constructed his own smaller-scale backyard wood oven, and a few years ago, he'd done a comparatively minor patch job on Grahame's mammoth oven, which retains some of its heat for up to four days after the fire has gone out.

The oven gained iconic status during the 1998 ice storm, when, with the power out for days, the oven was pressed into service to cook dozens of turkeys and other food for much of the community. Along with his sister Debbie, Grahame has been operating the bakery since 2005, when their father Ken -- a second-generation baker and legendary character who dished out diatribes along with the donuts -- passed away.

When Grahame noticed that part of the oven's arched brickwork had collapsed, he knew it was time for a major overhaul. With Zuccarini's input, the siblings considered their options: Closing down, changing over to a gas-fired oven or rebuilding the wood-fueled oven. "We decided to preserve the oven, not just for us but for everyone," Grahame said, adding that it's an important piece of Canadian history. It's also the bakery's trademark, giving bread, rolls and other baked goods a distinctive texture and taste.

Attachments

• Grahame's Bakery, Kemptville Traveller Reviews - Tripadvisor01.png
    Grahame's Bakery, Kemptville Traveller Reviews - Tripadvisor01.png
    411.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Grahame's Bakery, Kemptville Traveller Reviews - Tripadvisor.png
    Grahame's Bakery, Kemptville Traveller Reviews - Tripadvisor.png
    561.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Grahames Bakery.jpg
    Grahames Bakery.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A bit of a 'weather event' to deal with this weekend... sounds like another boost for Generac sales! :laughing7:

Attachments

• Temperatures set to soar, but with the risk of damaging winds for Ontario.jpeg.png
    Temperatures set to soar, but with the risk of damaging winds for Ontario.jpeg.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 23

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Started to look at shovel options-fell down a rabbit hole in reading about this unit.
Considering the exchange rate (not including what % for transfer through bank) taxes.
This thing would cost $46,100.82 (still no shovel included) :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think he took the wrong turn in the road.
Playing the "Who am I " game.
Maybe he watched Front Page Challenge :laughing7:
Front Page Challenge was a Canadian panel game about current events and history. Produced and aired by CBC Television, the series ran from 1957 to 1995.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim, I'd say I'm about 80% or so my ice cleat boots are coming in today so tomorrow back to my walking routine. I'll start off with a short outing to get back into the groove slowly. Thanks for asking.
That's good to hear Bill that you're on the mend.

I know from doing the flip-landing hard on the hip-it bruised the bone as I could feel it (reminder) for months.
I guess folks that have meat on the bones would be better off having a fall. :dontknow:
It just happens all too fast.
That skiff of snow on a frozen puddle-done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC