THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WIF,
Good morning!

To the best of my knowledge yes minerilization affects the depth we can reach detecting, higher mineralization in the soil most probably reduces depth because the machine has to punch through that to pick up the targets.

As a compromise go all metal but cherry pick and dig only targets above a certain number on your machine. This accomplishes 2 things because remember notching out certain numbers can cause the machine to nul out other targets when next to iron or whatever you have notched out. Also discrimination puts a drag on the machine and reduces total depth achievable.

Hope this is of some help. I'll see if I can find a video for you that deals with the issue to give you another perspective.
Thanks Bill. I've probably seen most of the vids. More the merrier though.

One showed me an aspect I hadn't considered before. Take a small nail and turn the iron discrimination just to where it eliminates that nail. Then, bury a coin under the nail. When its detected it will sound off because the combination of the nail AND the coin together will give something slightly above the rejected nail. Nail by itself, eliminated, nail over coin? Slightly higher number returned. Sort of seeing "thru" the iron nail. And.....it works!

Still, my initial question was more about finding out what is "normal". I think that at 92, my ground is pretty difficult to detect. Just wondering what others were finding as their "normal" range.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bill. I've probably seen most of the vids. More the merrier though.

One showed me an aspect I hadn't considered before. Take a small nail and turn the iron discrimination just to where it eliminates that nail. Then, bury a coin under the nail. When its detected it will sound off because the combination of the nail AND the coin together will give something slightly above the rejected nail. Nail by itself, eliminated, nail over coin? Slightly higher number returned. Sort of seeing "thru" the iron nail. And.....it works!

Still, my initial question was more about finding out what is "normal". I think that at 92, my ground is pretty difficult to detect. Just wondering what others were finding as their "normal" range.
My detector is automatically ground balance. Problem solved. L.o.l..

Mineralized clay is a riot. And patches can exist many places. Though that means traveling a bit from my sandy areas nearer home.
Iron saturation is about the biggest variance I realize. Could be more at play.

Flooded/high water table poorly drained spring soil in high iron content has been the most interesting condition.
A cent rings up in the silver range. (!)

Old detectors we set them to have a bit of static.
If I were trying to manually ground balance I'd be tempted to lean towards a similar state.
Or as B.B.H. puts it:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is this really what it pays-or a pipe dream?

How much money do you make per 1000 views on YouTube?

The actual rates an advertiser pays varies, usually between $0.10 to $0.30 per view, but averages out at $0.18 per view. On average, a YouTube channel can receive $18 per 1,000 ad views, which equates to $3 - $5 per 1000 video views.
Hickok45 makes around 800 grand a year with his channel.
Sailing Doodles a little more than that.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Mineralized clay is a riot. And patches can exist many places. Though that means traveling a bit from my sandy areas nearer home.

Flooded/high water table poorly drained spring soil in high iron content has been the most interesting condition.

If I were trying to manually ground balance I'd be tempted to lean towards a similar state.
Or as B.B.H. puts it:
I’ve NEVER trusted auto ground balance. I’ve got one machine that will do it but I’m purdy sure you’ll find deeper targets with manual GB.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Or as B.B.H. puts it:
RC,

I'm the same as you my machines auto ground balance.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I went out and did exactly what that guy did in the video: zero, sensitivity all the way up, ground balanced. I found the same bs! Nails, big iron junk, burned up iron. Horse hockey!

I did find this, though.

52F69BA5-F74E-4BBE-B9C7-88857AF48DF4.jpeg

That’s a new thing for me.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We'll we're still on leftover patrol. So tonights menu is going to be open faced hot turkey sandwiches with gravy and peas. I'll be whipping up a carrot and celery root(celeriac) coleslaw to have on the side.

Tomorrow with the balance of our ham well be making ham tetrazinni it has a bechamel type sauce so that should give us a couple of meals each.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I went out and did exactly what that guy did in the video: zero, sensitivity all the way up, ground balanced. I found the same bs! Nails, big iron junk, burned up iron. Horse hockey!

I did find this, though.

View attachment 1999320

That’s a new thing for me.
WD, Is that a clay marble or a musketball can't tell with the dirt on it.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one I did find helpful when I found it. Thanks!
W.I.F,,
Here's a link about high mineralization that might be useful.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've enjoyed a few of Hickok 45's vids. Or rather a dozen or so.

(My Ace 350 has no manual ground balance.)
Some of the First Texas (Fisher products) don’t either. My hunting bud for years machine didn’t have it. He’s found a lot of stuff.
Yep Hickok’s got over a million subscribers plus he and his son ( camera man) have a couple other channels. “ That ain’t workin, that’s tha way ya do it”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread