THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hundreds of knives?
We counted three hundred of Dad's in his estate. There were more but close enough.
He probably had a hundred plus more than I. I don't count them.
But I've been buying as they come (not just any blade) since the early seventies probably. Was glomming on to them before. There's a well worn and cracked plastic scale on one side carnival acquired knife from.....The sixties probably. But I had another knife!!!
More in earnest with old high carbon stuff starting in the eighties.
Good handles and rivets preferred on anything common. Getting picky I guess.
But real old stuff or hand forged gets considered too.

Got a couple boxes squirreled out of sight.
The last one I carried (on my butt pretty much) down to the basement needed two boxes probably.

A 3/4 ton Kershaw beater is riding under my wheelchair seat.
S.A.K. in my pocket.
Not many places more are not around.
A bakers dozen in a block a few feet away in the kitchen. Plus a drawer well stocked.
Other blocks in storage. They were getting dirty in the kitchen..

One Forschner knife in the kitchen I acquired when I was 13.
Had an Early Russel there too , but like most old ones I tend to hide them from abuse.

Hunting knives in rotation , or restored pocket knives are elsewhere.
An Uncle Henry folding Bowie was a restore a friend had in one of his quads trunks where it soaked and the sheath grew funky. Major funky.
Cleaned up great.
Great U.S. made steel.
New sheath.

Daughter was asking about "what knife" she could /should use a while back for a muti purpose area /projects/environ.
(She has knives. )

As if one knife can do it all when options exist. (She was leading me probably.)
I suggested two at least. And a tool for major hacking. (Not batoning.)
I'm thinking that Uncle Henry would do her good for middle of the road.
And I've enough kukris that she could nab a beater.
A small folder she can chose one of her own to use.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That benchmade tanto....
Hell yeh!!
Switchblades are legal here ...believe it or not
Switchblades are legal here too,many don,t know it but they are. i never understood the negative connotation about switchblades.I can get my folder out of my pocket and open just as fast as a switchblade.Any one who,s ever seen a Lady of the Pacific Islands whip out a butterfly knife won,t be wishing for a switchblde. Fast and lethal.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switchblades are legal here too,many don,t know it but they are. i never understood the negative connotation about switchblades.I can get my folder out of my pocket and open just as fast as a switchblade.Any one who,s ever seen a Lady of the Pacific Islands whip out a butterfly knife won,t be wishing for a switchblde. Fast and lethal.
Mine is legal here in California so I'd assume legal in most states

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We counted three hundred of Dad's in his estate. There were more but close enough.
He probably had a hundred plus more than I. I don't count them.
But I've been buying as they come (not just any blade) since the early seventies probably. Was glomming on to them before. There's a well worn and cracked plastic scale on one side carnival acquired knife from.....The sixties probably. But I had another knife!!!
More in earnest with old high carbon stuff starting in the eighties.
Good handles and rivets preferred on anything common. Getting picky I guess.
But real old stuff or hand forged gets considered too.

Got a couple boxes squirreled out of sight.
The last one I carried (on my butt pretty much) down to the basement needed two boxes probably.

A 3/4 ton Kershaw beater is riding under my wheelchair seat.
S.A.K. in my pocket.
Not many places more are not around.
A bakers dozen in a block a few feet away in the kitchen. Plus a drawer well stocked.
Other blocks in storage. They were getting dirty in the kitchen..

One Forschner knife in the kitchen I acquired when I was 13.
Had an Early Russel there too , but like most old ones I tend to hide them from abuse.

Hunting knives in rotation , or restored pocket knives are elsewhere.
An Uncle Henry folding Bowie was a restore a friend had in one of his quads trunks where it soaked and the sheath grew funky. Major funky.
Cleaned up great.
Great U.S. made steel.
New sheath.

Daughter was asking about "what knife" she could /should use a while back for a muti purpose area /projects/environ.
(She has knives. )

As if one knife can do it all when options exist. (She was leading me probably.)
I suggested two at least. And a tool for major hacking. (Not batoning.)
I'm thinking that Uncle Henry would do her good for middle of the road.
And I've enough kukris that she could nab a beater.
A small folder she can chose one of her own to use.
Truly a torrent of knives!:notworthy:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switchblades...and open carry legal in Oregon?
Luckily most in this conversation are Charter members so we can talk about this in the politics forum!
I'll start a knife's in liberal states thread there.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switchblades...and open carry legal in Oregon?
Luckily most in this conversation are Charter members so we can talk about this in the politics forum!
I'll start a knife's in liberal states thread there.
Apparently a lot of us are knife fans lol. I'm in California so I like to always have one on me best to not look like a victim here so you don't become one. It's getting so bad here.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried tree rats before but not my favorite......
Depends on what they,re eating and how you cook them,and how you handle them in the field too.If you get some that have been feeding on pecans,head shots with a 22, gut them and get them cooled down quick. Skin them,soak overnight in salt water in the fridge. Cut up,coat with seasoned flour. Put them in oil that,s just hot enough to sizzle a bit.Brown lightly on both sides. You need a pan that has a grid or rack that will hold the squirrels.Put about an inch of water in the pan,put the rack with the squirrel on top and wrap with foil.Put in the oven at around 350F for an hour and you got some fittin eatin.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what they,re eating and how you cook them,and how you handle them in the field too.If you get some that have been feeding on pecans,head shots with a 22, gut them and get them cooled down quick. Skin them,soak overnight in salt water in the fridge. Cut up,coat with seasoned flour. Put them in oil that,s just hot enough to sizzle a bit.Brown lightly on both sides. You need a pan that has a grid or rack that will hold the squirrels.Put about an inch of water in the pan,put the rack with the squirrel on top and wrap with foil.Put in the oven at around 350F for an hour and you got some fittin eatin.
No. Hell no!
Rib eye, pork shoulder. Sirloin and bacon.. ham sausage and next is chicken!!!!!!
Bison, deer and elk.. Yum!
Rat possum and squirrel? Com'n man!! those are pets not kibble!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread