THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was all over it....got plenty of hurricane lines out of storage to tie up the yachts. I have felt like this storm is coming to keylargo since I first laid eyes on it. I have 177 feet of boats to deal with.....do I move them now....if so witch direction ? Which state should I go too, and how much time do I have to get my own house, family, and wood shop secured. Does my family stay or go, and which direction do they go if they leave. Then there is the pets also. My own boats and vehicles have to be secured, and what if it misses you and goes where you have sent the family 👪. So much to think about and prioritize for. Do I start now....or do I wait and see for another day? Here we go !! A 15 foot storm surge puts me under water at my 13 foot level, and I live on a mountain here. 13 feet is the highest point in the keys....or darn close. I have to start prepping now....or I won't have enough time to finish everything, whether it makes it here or not !! I have at least 10 million dollars in my customers yachts to handle in the next couple days.....we call it the hurricane 🌀 dance 💃

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good time to go metal detecting on the East coats right now... but no way can take that trip with all i gotta do...

IF... it does head our way i will be bugging out to that coast... and yes... detectors are going with :)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was all over it....got plenty of hurricane lines out of storage to tie up the yachts. I have felt like this storm is coming to keylargo since I first laid eyes on it. I have 177 feet of boats to deal with.....do I move them now....if so witch direction ? Which state should I go too, and how much time do I have to get my own house, family, and wood shop secured. Does my family stay or go, and which direction do they go if they leave. Then there is the pets also. My own boats and vehicles have to be secured, and what if it misses you and goes where you have sent the family 👪. So much to think about and prioritize for. Do I start now....or do I wait and see for another day? Here we go !! A 15 foot storm surge puts me under water at my 13 foot level, and I live on a mountain here. 13 feet is the highest point in the keys....or darn close. I have to start prepping now....or I won't have enough time to finish everything, whether it makes it here or not !! I have at least 10 million dollars in my customers yachts to handle in the next couple days.....we call it the hurricane 🌀 dance 💃
SEE pep...... he and I are dealing with same issues of decisions....

One bad decision and it could cost ya.... so its a very stressful situation.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats country walk....my father survived Andrew right there !! He and my sister and friends all crammed under an interior stairway....that stairway was the only thing left of our second home....my father thought it would be safer in the home we rented out on the mainland. We lost that house !! And almost lost our primary house in the keys. Then I lost my kitchen in irma !! I've been through so many storms i can't remember all there names....David, George, Katrina, willma, irma, Andrew, Rita, Etc. Etc. Etc.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact... Bart..... IF you bug out..... Try Vero.... We shall detect ..... and drink :)

:P
Well... we can at least detect. heh

The East Coast is getting a nice moving of sand right now... and by next week all the sand should be shifted...

Last storm i detected there... an old couple got a gold... 80k one.... right behind Disney Resort.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was talking with my shop partner, and he said he really thought he would die in irma....we were pretty new friends, and a family that was evacuating told us both to stay at his home...which my partners father had built !! We rode out irma, and it was a hell of a ride !! I remember watching the entire second floor patio beat itself right off the house. It flew away and things got quiet after that. We pried ourselves out of that house into complete destruction.....we have been best friends since Sept. 10th-11th 2017. What a slug fest of a storm.....life changing !!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IF you have grown up here like Bart and I have... you know.

And you know well what COULD happen.... and this will scare the shit outta ya.
Nope you can have it all and some.
I'll deal with the winter storms, the cold, the occasional rain bomb.
Pretty secure here, tucked in behind the rock topography of the Canadian shield.

In the early 80's I did a downgraded storm-went to the hurricane party.
Woke up to the loud banging on the door.
Rum filled head-I opened my eyes, water was running down the inner cinder block walls.
The Samsonite suitcase was floating around the room.
WTF!
Opened the curtains the dam Atlantic is in the swimming pool.
Most of the room privacy dividers ripped to shreds.
Answered the door and it was "Get out now"
Palm tree missed the trunk of the Thunderbird by a couple of feet.
I had no problem setting the cruise control for the safer lands further away.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
$$$$ Umm hmm.
Cause boats are cheap , and for cheap hobbies ; ehh Mr. W.D.?
Besides , he's probably still holding your last tourney winnings check!
:blackbeard:
Oh no! I spent that on tires for my car.
1663841158881.gif

Then scuba gear
1663841236608.gif
I had to use the card. (Oh no! Not the card!).
1663841576029.gif

He’s just harassing me anyway. But, I think it’s like anything else, money pit. The guys did get together one night and make us a bunch of weights. One guy makes lures on the side and mr WD used to make his own sinkers. So, the guy bought the mold and he and the Mr had lead for pouring. So the 3 of them had a guy night, taking care of their girls. We received our nicknames that night, Scuba scoobies #1, 2, & 3.
On an interesting note: in the lead stash that the Mr had from 30-40 years ago was scuba weights. Two 5# and one 10#. He used the 10# for our weights. The 5# ones I am going to try and sell. Lead weights are going for $5.30 a pound so I can get something for them.

Attachments

• 1663841197586.gif
    1663841197586.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was talking with my shop partner, and he said he really thought he would die in irma....we were pretty new friends, and a family that was evacuating told us both to stay at his home...which my partners father had built !! We rode out irma, and it was a hell of a ride !! I remember watching the entire second floor patio beat itself right off the house. It flew away and things got quite after that. We pried ourselves out of that house into complete destruction.....we have been best friends since Sept. 10th-11th 2017. What a slug fest of a storm.....life changing !!
Morning Bart
Hope you get some things figured out in the prepping of what might come.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh no! I spent that on tires for my car.
View attachment 2047595
Then scuba gear View attachment 2047597 I had to use the card. (Oh no! Not the card!). View attachment 2047598

He’s just harassing me anyway. But, I think it’s like anything else, money pit. The guys did get together one night and make us a bunch of weights. One guy makes lures on the side and mr WD used to make his own sinkers. So, the guy bought the mold and he and the Mr had lead for pouring. So the 3 of them had a guy night, taking care of their girls. We received our nicknames that night, Scuba scoobies #1, 2, & 3.
On an interesting note: in the lead stash that the Mr had from 30-40 years ago was scuba weights. Two 5# and one 10#. He used the 10# for our weights. The 5# ones I am going to try and sell. Lead weights are going for $5.30 a pound so I can get something for them.
Morning WD
Look for an old sailboat-I here the keels can be lead filled-then there's the cement ones too.
Just go old school and tie a couple of these around the waist.
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 6.20.12 AM.png

See now I hear the grumblings is pure loving, making weights for the gals-that's special right there me's think.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well went back to the 40acre property that I knew had a barn and house on it about 100 years ago. Normally ignore about 30 acres of it but decided heck I'll get some excerise and check the rest out. Found about 70 pound of damned scrap iron I had to lug around and got rained on but I'm stubborn. Went for a long time till I was hurting too much to want to keep going. Alas my efforts as always where in vain just a few odds and ends. The value looking things looks pretty old, I think the shield looking thing in an old motorcycle gas cap, the weird rounded thing is part of a farm thing saw on just posted that wasn't broken off, don't know what the others are.
That looks like my finds, if I was to go detecting and it was a good hunt. It's good to get out, though. That's the main thing.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The new you:

Scrappy Doo Beach Towel by Brian Swanke | Fine Art America
It seems that it is what it is a fight to get it done.
Maybe just too much scrapping in the head and in life
But we'z done it the hard way-still once it's in the blood it really never goes too far.
Rather fight it out than kneel/lie down to many things in the life.
Maybe when me'z gets older I'll mellow out.

F18EE491-3BE8-44DD-9B45-E45AD82F150C_1_105_c.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC