Good morning everyone, woke up to a cool -3⁰c
Hopefully you lot can warm up with some of that murky water called coffee.
Not sure if I'll get anything detecting done tonight in this cold as I'm running out of space to detect. No news on my permissions request yet.
Do have a thought, do advert boards work?
I'm thinking of registering with the NCMD and printing some mini leaflets with my details and a link to a website I'm working on (utility nothing fancy) where I can share details with the landlords of places I have permission for as well as publicly show off my collection so that people get interested in the possibilities.
Has anyone tried to get permissions this way? I've not had any luck running into the local farmers to ask permission directly and also kinda too shy for it.
Over thinking everything. Phone calls even are a hard convincing yes. A leaflet (advert boards)
Junk mail box.
This what has worked for me.
Direct face to face with the landowner.
Have a bit of knowledge regarding the property.
Know a little about farming/weather/yields.
Don't need to know alot, just an ice breaker.
USE A REFERENCE
Here is the specific info that you need.
Introduce yourself and say where you live.
(That helps establish that you are a local)
Ask if they own X fields.
They'll answer, and ask why.
Tell them the truth, that you metal detect to relax from the daily grind.
"I have permissions of X & X to metal detect PRE-POST of crops.
They might ask what you're looking for.
Be forward, buttons, horse tack, old lost widgets, and if lucky the occasional coin.
Make sure you include that everything dug is removed from the field.
All holes are filled and tamped in again
The biggest thing is trust, not to be damaging property, nor causing any stress for the land owner.
Then if there's no answer-just say.
"Do you think I could give it a go, to detect out there in the fields?
That is and will be then the owner to decide.
I have a 95+% average on getting a yes.
Many times the farmers will say.
"Well if it was OK with X then it's OK with me.
They might ask that check in, personally or by text. Pre going on the property.
They might ask to see the finds. (Rarely)
I've probably given up just about as much land permissions as I have currently and that sits at 10,000 acres of go anytime I please.
It's so relaxing to detect, walk past a fence line and carry on, crossing over to another and another.
When there's 3 or 4 different permissions side by side, the day isn't long enough.
Cards are good only for them to have your contact information.
I'm sure I left out lots of little details on this, as each one I tweak a tad.
Oh ya stroke the ego a tad.
Compliments on the beautiful operation, that always goes a long ways.