like i said....many many years of detecting, and never owned a scoop....ive used them, and its just more sh!t for me to carry. i go light and mobile, i have no problem walking 2 miles to a spot if necessary.....i aint doin that with a scoop, detector, finds pouch, pinpointer, boots, headphones, etc.etc.etc. I might really detect from 5-5 on the treasure coast.....I was averaging 7 miles a day last trip. Plus I'll stop to eyeball the shell piles for ming, olive jar shards, emeralds, bezore stones, and jade etc.etc.etc. lots of times im gone so far down the beach before others have had a chance to....gear up...so to speak. Everyone develops there own style, and mine is scoop free !! Its a good feeling walking through the parking lot at turtle trail, and having 10 detectorists all looking at your coin.....you never seen a parking lot clear out so fast....everyone scrambling out onto the beach with new hopes !!