What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning all.

After the bluebird babies left the nest, a Starling came and dismantled the nest, removing every piece of grass one at a time. Once he finished, a house sparrow started building a nest, but each time the sparrow would bring something, the starling would come take it. So I put a smaller opening on the front, and now the starling can't get in. The sparrow built the nest and is sitting on five eggs now.

IMG_2785.webp
 
Good morning all.

After the bluebird babies left the nest, a Starling came and dismantled the nest, removing every piece of grass one at a time. Once he finished, a house sparrow started building a nest, but each time the sparrow would bring something, the starling would come take it. So I put a smaller opening on the front, and now the starling can't get in. The sparrow built the nest and is sitting on five eggs now.

View attachment 2212033
Good morning!☕️ Robert you should get rid of the sparrow eggs. English sparrows are non native vermin! Sadly, it’s the most common bird in the US.
 
Good morning!☕️ Robert you should get rid of the sparrow eggs. English sparrows are non native vermin! Sadly, it’s the most common bird in the US.
What problems do they cause? We have non native parrots & parakeets here in Florida. They don't seem to be much of a problem. I enjoy watching them. Very noisy at times though.
 
I've been reading a book here at the beach titled:
The Ocean Almanac. It is an older but very interesting book written about all aspects of the sea. One thing I read was pretty bizarre.
In 1664, 1785, & 1860 respectively on December 5th a ship sank in the Menai Straight. Each time there was one survivor, a man. Each time the man's name was Hugh Williams. ????

You shouldn't read such things. (:o )

 
 
Mornin all.

Wren singing this morning seems to be drawing a line about fifty yards long by fifteen or less wide again..
Didn't see it's partner. Could be on a nest. They spent hours in about two feet of each yesterday just on guard with one in a house. I didn't acquire or place the house to know if it is decorative or functional when young birds want/are inspired to leave. But will note if an adult seems agitated around fledgling time.


Beautiful morning outside..
 
[R v Dudley and Stephens (1884) 14 QBD 273, DC is a leading English criminal case which established a precedent throughout the common law world that necessity is not a defence to a charge of murder. The case concerned survival cannibalism following a shipwreck, and its purported justification on the basis of a custom of the sea.<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Dudley_and_Stephens#cite_note-3"><span>[</span>3<span>]</span></a>

In 1884 the four-man crew of the wrecked yacht Mignonette were cast adrift in a small lifeboat without provisions. After nearly three weeks at sea, and with little hope of rescue, two of the crew, Tom Dudley and Edwin Stephens, decided that in order to save their own lives they would need to kill and eat the ship's 17-year-old cabin boy Richard Parker, who by that time had fallen seriously ill after drinking seawater. The defendants were found guilty and were sentenced to the statutory death penalty, though with a recommendation of mercy. They were released soon after the conviction.]

 
Good morning!☕️ Robert you should get rid of the sparrow eggs. English sparrows are non native vermin! Sadly, it’s the most common bird in the US.
I hardly see any around here -- plenty in town, but not out here in the woods. As for getting rid of them, I don't know about that. There are only two birds in the US that are legal to possess without a permit -- Starlings and House Sparrows. Both are considered invasive nuisances and "good for nothing". You can own or destroy them. But since accidentally adopting PeeWee, a Starling, there's no way I would hurt one. They are wonderful little things -- intelligent, inquisitive, and playful. Maybe sparrows are different, I don't know. But for now, at least, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

IMG_9993.webp
 
Good Morning all :coffee2: :hello:
UPDATE: Thanks to all the responses on my last 2 post (a while back) pertaining to "elderly care" and "disrespectful renters"
-As for the Elderly "father in law"... He peacefully passed away on Sunday, and in a much better place for him and the family. Rough couple of years here. Quicker is better I'll just say... It's also been a weight lifted off us as some of you understand.... not to sound selfish but now we can move on again with our lives 🙏

-AND FINALLY! We got them damn disgusting disrespectful renters out of the house...I won't gross you out with details. I'll start though with some of the blame on my parents for not doing inspections all this time of renting. (Be wise in doing so if you rent). While I once lived at this residence and before leaving, I did some remodeling to the not so old home for some slight upgrades. After my leaving the residence it was rented out. The tenant took immediate advantage of my aging father (owner), that soon knew how to swindle someone out of rent money. The rent was mostly paid over the years but "so said" repairs that needed to be done, would ask that it be done with deducted rent money.
Long story short, the house is badly in need of repairs, property overgrown and will need extensive cleanup and such. Now as being the new owner I have lot's of work ahead in order to resale.. Long story short.....
Hope you have a great summer, I'll be ordering the dumpster soon :laughing7:
 
Good Morning all :coffee2: :hello:
UPDATE: Thanks to all the responses on my last 2 post (a while back) pertaining to "elderly care" and "disrespectful renters"
-As for the Elderly "father in law"... He peacefully passed away on Sunday, and in a much better place for him and the family. Rough couple of years here. Quicker is better I'll just say... It's also been a weight lifted off us as some of you understand.... not to sound selfish but now we can move on again with our lives 🙏

-AND FINALLY! We got them damn disgusting disrespectful renters out of the house...I won't gross you out with details. I'll start though with some of the blame on my parents for not doing inspections all this time of renting. (Be wise in doing so if you rent). While I once lived at this residence and before leaving, I did some remodeling to the not so old home for some slight upgrades. After my leaving the residence it was rented out. The tenant took immediate advantage of my aging father (owner), that soon knew how to swindle someone out of rent money. The rent was mostly paid over the years but "so said" repairs that needed to be done, would ask that it be done with deducted rent money.
Long story short, the house is badly in need of repairs, property overgrown and will need extensive cleanup and such. Now as being the new owner I have lot's of work ahead in order to resale.. Long story short.....
Hope you have a great summer, I'll be ordering the dumpster soon :laughing7:
Sorry about your father-in-law. You are correct though, in cases like that passing is a mercy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom