What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning everyone. Chore day. So much to do, so little daylight...
 
Um... Pepper use to own a scrap yard. :)
I know. But even at that, it was hard to imagine where several tons of fluorescent light ballasts would come from. I mean, we're talking thousand and thousands of those things. But I guess revamping city office buildings would do it.
 
I know. But even at that, it was hard to imagine where several tons of fluorescent light ballasts would come from. I mean, we're talking thousand and thousands of those things. But I guess revamping city office buildings would do it.
The went to the electronic ballast. 15 tons didn't even fill a 20 yrd bin. 20x8x4ft.
I recycled probably 10,000 traffic lights as the city went to LED.
 
I recycled probably 10,000 traffic lights as the city went to LED.
That's a lotta lights. Good that they recycled them. I wonder how many years it took for the savings in power and maintenance to cover that upgrade?
 
That's a lotta lights. Good that they recycled them. I wonder how many years it took for the savings in power and maintenance to cover that upgrade?
They'd do a certain amount every yr as it was a big savings just in the changing of light bulbs in the signals. I think an old one weighed around 42 pounds if I recall.
Had to crush them in the baler, just that they didn't go up in the man caves.
 
Not muin the new ballast, just be aware tge older ones had PCB in them. Sorry I can't give you a letter code for bad ones as I forget.
This might help.

Key Methods for Identification
Manufacturing Date:
Ballasts manufactured before July 1, 1979, are considered to contain PCBs.
"No-PCB" Label:
A ballast that is not labeled "No-PCB" or "Non-PCB" should be assumed to contain PCBs.
Manufacturer Code:
For some manufacturers, specific letters or number combinations within their date or catalogue codes indicate the presence of PCBs.
Manufacturer-Specific Clues
Aerovox:
A code where the fifth digit is "F" (for "Fluorescent") indicates PCBs.
General Electric (GE):
A final letter of "N" or "A" indicates PCBs. If the code ends in "T", it may contain PCBs.
Thanks Pepperj. Good info I didn’t know and don’t want to poison myself 👍
 
Copper theft is big here and costing building sites from homes to big builds millions collectively. You guys have that problem too?
Yes the new six street bridge in LA doesn't have lights now because they stole the copper wires. They call it urban mining. Lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom