THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Just watched the one on Milky Spore treatment for grubs. -Sold out on many sites.
I lost 3/4 acres of field because of those land shrimps-even the turkeys had enough half way through the season.
But it seems to have come back ok, the Timothy is 5ft, the Brome is 3ft, and the Alpha is 2.5 ft and blooming. Lots of native flowering plants in the mix as well. Alive with bees. dragonflies, butterflies.

Jim,

If you have enough diversity of both plants and insects nature has a way of balancing things out.

This guy has lots of interesting videos based on his experience.

Last edited:
Good afternoon guys.

Had a hard weekends work, and recouped the money I spent on the helmet already.

DSC_0211.jpgDSC_0212.jpg

All cleaned up! There is some war-time scratches and nicks to the paint, as you can see with the rust. Nothing I can do about that. There is also the remnants of the fake decal that I'll remove later, but other than that, I turned a $200 helmet into a $450-$500 helmet! I'll take better pics later.

I also videoed the whole thing carefully, so later this week I'll upload it.

All cleaned up! There is some war-time scratches and nicks to the paint, as you can see with the rust. Nothing I can do about that. There is also the remnants of the fake decal that I'll remove later, but other than that, I turned a $200 helmet into a $450-$500 helmet! I'll take better pics later.

I also videoed the whole thing carefully, so later this week I'll upload it.

Saw some restoration of old tin lanterns that were rusty. The process that was used was blackstrap molasses, amazing results.

Saw some restoration of old tin lanterns that were rusty. The process that was used was blackstrap molasses, amazing results.

The problem with stuff like this is, when it has paint, the paint is everything. It extremely important not to damage it in anyway. I'm not sure what molasses would do to it though...

Goodnight TNC (Treasure Net Crew)

Off to be a wizard.

Well I'm thoroughly beat, did 350' of fencing for the chicks today. They were happily entertained by trying to steal my buttons off my shirt, something about the cuff buttons they all had a go at it, a few repeat customers.
So one more 50' roll of wire, including a gate should do the trick, and they'll have their own forested green space to hang out safely during the day.

Rusty,

Good job on the cleanup job on the helmet. Maybe send an email to Tom with before and after pictures.

The problem with stuff like this is, when it has paint, the paint is everything. It extremely important not to damage it in anyway. I'm not sure what molasses would do to it though...
Good point, the lanterns could have had enamel paint on them.

Jim,

Don't know how many chicks you have but I've seen videos of people raising them using something called a chicken trailer.

It gives them a place to find shade underneath in the heat of the day also a place to hide from airborne predators such as hawks.

Well I'm thoroughly beat, did 350' of fencing for the chicks today. They were happily entertained by trying to steal my buttons off my shirt, something about the cuff buttons they all had a go at it, a few repeat customers.
So one more 50' roll of wire, including a gate should do the trick, and they'll have their own forested green space to hang out safely during the day.

20200615_180810.jpg
20200615_181034.jpg
Well it ain't much and ya can't even tell there was a natural sink hole there....we've piled so much dirt in it. Just getting going well see what happens in 3 weeks or so. Got onions pineapples and papayas so far....should have peppers and squash !!

:coffee2: Yes!
Morning world.

Jim,

Don't know how many chicks you have but I've seen videos of people raising them using something called a chicken trailer.

It gives them a place to find shade underneath in the heat of the day also a place to hide from airborne predators such as hawks.

When we bought there was everything in place for a couple of chickens-heck they even offered the chickens to us.
So the barn (I'll call it) has the chicken set up in one corner. That provides about 40sq ft. so it works for everything at the moment except the free range part.
Hawks are my least of the worries, with so many trees (basically a forest) there's no problem finding shade and shelter from the skies.
It's the ground predators that are of concern, the fox that seems to patrol the yard even. Then there's other animals that look at the chicks as a tasty treat.
I thought of a trailer, then there's the part of safety facing around that. For 6 chicks that are only 9 weeks old, I couldn't give them a trailer trash complex to start off life. :laughing7:
Then the "Bylaws" state any vehicle or trailer has to have a plate.
So I fenced in the area between the back lane and the street/road. Kind of like a triangle 150' sides, lots of trees of every size, lots of small seedling pines. The whole area has a dense coverage of maple leaves so they scratch to the hearts content looking for something to eat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back