What's new

The start of something good....

Huskerhunter

Full Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
113
Reaction score
468
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I found these over the weekend in my field. The scraper has a cresent shape that has been worked into it. Don't know for what purpose, but it's the only one I have like it. The point is neat too, I just wish it would have been finished. Either way, it's still pretty cool.
 
Upvote 0
ForumRunner_20131202_100929.webp



ForumRunner_20131202_100942.webp



ForumRunner_20131202_100953.webp



ForumRunner_20131202_101003.webp
 
The "scraper" looks like a small spoke shave.. the "point" looks like a small knife.. Nice finds
 
I have one made out of Jasper very close to the same type of tool. Its the only one I have ever found also. N GA
 

Attachments

  • 100_2339.webp
    100_2339.webp
    124.9 KB · Views: 120
The "scraper" looks like a small spoke shave.. the "point" looks like a small knife.. Nice finds


i kinda agree on the spoke shave idea but another image of the other side would be helpful
a few things resembling graver spurs in that area one thing for sure it has a nicely flaked scraper edge
i also say you have a nice little knife blade rather than an unfinished point

if i was you i would go back to that field and spend some more time....................then show us what you come up with
the two types of lithics (light and dark) would be good to focus on as material used for tool making in that area

larson1951
 
The "point" is worked only on the top 3rd and is identical to the black bird point in the pics. It also has percussion flakes where the ears were going to be. I could be wrong, but it looks like none of the blades i have found here. I will post more pics of it when i get home.These are all from the field in front of my house. Here are the different things I have found over the last year and a half. In S.W. Iowa.


ForumRunner_20131203_070048.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070107.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070139.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070204.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070225.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070402.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070427.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070450.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070515.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_070601.webp





ForumRunner_20131203_065810.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_065751.webp


There are a couple more that I will get pics of later. I have found flakes of all different types of lithic from banded obsidian to jasper. But most common is Nehawka chert and Burlington chert.
 
#8 looks different but I like it.
 
The "point" is worked only on the top 3rd and is identical to the black bird point in the pics. It also has percussion flakes where the ears were going to be. I could be wrong, but it looks like none of the blades i have found here. I will post more pics of it when i get home.These are all from the field in front of my house. Here are the different things I have found over the last year and a half. In S.W. Iowa.


View attachment 908397



View attachment 908398



View attachment 908399



View attachment 908400



View attachment 908401



View attachment 908402



View attachment 908403



View attachment 908404



View attachment 908405



View attachment 908406





View attachment 908396



View attachment 908395


There are a couple more that I will get pics of later. I have found flakes of all different types of lithic from banded obsidian to jasper. But most common is Nehawka chert and Burlington chert.

Whoop, whoop theres one of mine!
 
The small birdie in the last pic is a parkercrazy99 find. First one for either of us this year.
 
Here is the back of the spokeshave.


ForumRunner_20131203_155149.webp

Here is some better pics of the "point".



ForumRunner_20131203_155257.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155321.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155338.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155358.webp

And here is some other things I have found in my field.



ForumRunner_20131203_155501.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155520.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155538.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155600.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155616.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155632.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155649.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155709.webp



ForumRunner_20131203_155729.webp
 
You got some really nice finds there, but I like the abrader that you found. :icon_thumleft:



ForumRunner_20131203_070601.webp
 
Husker, that is one KILLER scraper. I would consider it a "microlithic multitool"!
 
5th one down looks like a gun flint. Do you have a close up picture?

Thanks.
Ah nevermind. I just figured out you could open and zoom in on the pict's and it's not a gun flint. I just wasted two posts...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom