The Truth? About Oak Island

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I see that there is a lot of interest in Oak Island here.

I live about half an hour from Oak Island. I have grown up along the coast of Nova Scotia and know the geology and topography of the land well. I have taken the tour of Oak Island with Charles Barkhouse from the show guiding, it was interesting.

Before I start, I will be clear, I like the show and believe that something did happen on Oak Island.

Here is my take:

The Knights Templar have absolutely nothing to do with it. Never had, never did and never will. I just don’t buy it.

This coast is heavily glaciated, there is very little topsoil. It is not easy to dig a hole here; believe me I know. To dig a hole a hundred feet deep, without being seen, or without leaving any tailings behind, is virtually impossible. I have been to a number of very old mine sites in Nova Scotia. Check out Abandoned Mines Nova Scotia on YouTube, they have great videos exploring these.

The 90-foot stone is a fake. Really, who would leave a carved rock 90 feet underground saying, in code, that there is a treasure below. That stone was supposedly found in 1814 or thereabouts, but did not appear until the 1860’s when it was put on display by someone who was, wait for it…, looking for investors. This is not the first hoax from these parts. The famous Nova Scotia built ghost ship Mary Celeste was an insurance scam, look it up. If the stone was that important why would it be discarded later for working leather and then dumped in a basement?

There are no flood tunnels that go out into Smith’s Cove. I see absolutely no evidence of this. My wife’s family has a beautiful parcel of land, on high ground, 30 miles (as the crow flies) from the coast where I metal detect. It is a very old farm and on it there is a hole 30 feet deep. It is full of water. We call it a well. Generally, if you dig a hole deep enough it will fill with water, you just have to reach the table or open up a spring. Now, there is not much fresh water on many of the islands in Mahone Bay but if you dig a hole 90 feet deep a stone’s throw from the shore on an island in the ocean, I guarantee it will fill with seawater.

The money pit never went that deep. The descendants of the boys who first started digging clearly stated that they found the treasure at a much shallower depth and showed what was clearly a Spanish gold cross as proof. In those days if they had declared that they found treasure the Crown would have seized it, just as the government would do today. The best thing to do is keep quite and pretend to keep digging, and thus the story began. The name Money Pit, however, is fitting considering the resources that have been poured into it since. This was in the 1700’s, why go to the trouble of digging a hole that deep and complicated when a shallow hole in the ground on an uninhabited island will do?

The porcelain and other items recovered from ‘below searcher levels’ during the excavations in the money pit could very easily have come from higher depths. The hammer grab is significantly smaller in diameter than the casements. Small items could easily tumble to much lower depths before being recovered.

Nowlan’s Cross is wishful thinking. If you really want something bad enough you will see it. Give me a map of Oak Island and a sharpie. I will put a random dot on the map and if you go to that point you will see a large boulder within 100 feet.

So, what happened there? Here is my hypothesis:

In 1762 the British raided Havana. They seized the treasure and about 30 ships. In that treasury there were apparently 1.8 million Spanish 8 reale coins plus innumerable other treasures. The Crown claimed all of it even though it was the officers and the men who took all the risks and did all the heavy lifting. The Crown had no idea how much was there. Seven ships were loaded up with booty and made their way to Halifax before heading over to England.

I believe that some unscrupulous commanders decided to appropriate an additional ship which travelled with those 7, or a bit behind them, and then diverted to Oak Island where it was unloaded in Smith’s Cove which is on the far side of the island out of direct line of site from the newly settled town of Chester. Each man was given a portion, with more to the officers of course, and then told to head into the island and bury it in a location known only to themselves. They were further told not to come back for a number of years less they all be hanged. Some men did not live long enough to return.
This works with most of the points discussed on the show, the Spanish Cob in the swamp, the Spanish ships spike also found (I will take their word on it being Spanish), Samuel Ball suddenly becoming rich as he was clearing lands to make his fields and seeming to have a stash 8 reale coins, which were still commonly used at that time. Even the supposedly middle eastern bone fragment could have been from an unfortunate Spaniard of Moorish descent who was brought along for the ride. By the way, the brothers should thank their lucky stars that the bone did not turn out to be aboriginal, if it had, everything would have stopped.

From the show there was obviously a British encampment on the island in the 1760’s they found too many clustered items for there not to have been. The British kept very detailed records here at that time, that fact that this is not recorded is in itself very telling.

The lead cross could well be 14th century, it certainly has that look. A cross like that would be very special to Catholic Spaniards and would have been kept. Less so with Anglican British raiders. I suspect it was tossed by a man who was less than impressed with a lead cross as part of his booty.

There is no ship at the bottom of the swamp. It is simply too shallow even for a ship on its side. If a smaller insignificant Spanish ship did exist, it is somewhere out in Mahone Bay where it was quietly scuttled on a dark foggy evening after being stripped.

The only way treasure is going to be found on Oak Island is with a metal detector. If you notice, so far, that is the only way anything of interest has been found. I would go to every large boulder or significant landmark and work my way out from each of them (trees can be cut down and make for poor landmarks over time, huge boulders are unlikely to be moved). If and when treasure is found it will be one mans portion and not the mother lode.

If you want to learn about real Nova Scotia pirate treasure lookup Isle Haute in the Bay of Funday where Spanish and Portuguese silver and gold coins were discovered in the outstretched hand of a skeleton in 1952:

https://lifeasahuman.com/2014/arts-culture/history/the-mysterious-treasure-island-of-isle-haute/

https://books.google.ca/books?id=4F...=life magazine edward snow isle haute&f=false

You can also look up Halls Harbour in Nova Scotia where supposedly privateer booty from looted American ships is buried. There was a local in the 1800’s who for some reason suddenly became very wealthy, giving money to build a church.
History - Pirates, Pasha, and the Sea

Then, there is also the Black Hole Treasure as well, I am going to check this out someday, anybody want to go?

https://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/nova-scotia/black-hole-harbour-treasure/

One final funny story: I was travelling with work about 2 weeks ago and was in the neighbouring province where the corporate head offices of a large company involved with the show is located. I was having lunch alone in a restaurant and seated at a table next to me were 8 or 10 mining engineers that I suspect work for this same company. They were having fun and discussing the Oak Island show. They all seemed to know that drilling rig very well as well as the blond engineer who runs things. I heard her described as ‘very competent’ and who would in no way be ‘mystified’ as to how that rig could become ‘jammed’ at 90 feet or so. Apparently that rig can punch through 400 feet of granite with no problem, a concrete ‘vault’ would not stop it. I will not relate the rest of what I overheard though the gales of laughter less I get sued.

As I said at the start, I enjoy the show, or at least yelling at the TV while it is on. If they ever do manage to dig all the way down to the bottom of the money pit, I humbly suggest that the take that rather annoying narrator and put him at the bottom of it. “A rock! Underground! On Oak Island! Could it be a rock that the Knights Templar carried there on their heads?’ Yeesh.

I do hope they find something though…

Upvote 37

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
This is awesome, watched the show skeptically, it’s very nice to hear an inside opinion on this.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I do hope they find something though…

And naturally, it's never that dry holes and no treasure mean : "Nothing's there". Instead, the only thing that dry holes and no treasure means is: A little more to the right. A little more to the left. A little deeper.

I believe O.I. to be nothing more than telephone game camp-fire legend gone awry. You can walk a mile radius from your house or my house, and ... likewise .... come up with "mysterious things" that "could point to treasure". Yet mean absolutely nothing. Eg.: a depression in the ground. A gold link. Fibers. An uncanny sguiggle on a rock. A "little boy who saw a light", blah blah blah. And then dream up all sorts of rationales why someone could want to bury a treasure in your own yard. There's not a place in the USA that .... given enough imagination, that similar treasure stories couldn't be constructed.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug from NS....

IF one could nominate a post for a BANNER, I would nominate yours!

As you can see, common sense and logic do not prevail when it comes to OI...I actually have a hard time watching the show with the format, with the mind-numbing characters and their dialog. I am certain the drilling company has to bite just about everything when they have to stop the drill at certain points for the camera.

Of course, the people burying the "treasure" went to all that trouble, but left a winch over the opening, and rocks every so often stating treasure was below?!?!

Thanks for the post, and good luck detecting the Rock. There was quite a bit of activity around those parts...

Last edited:

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Last night I was telling a buddy something very similar as far as I think there was some sort of pirate'esque treasure and that the original people dug it up and just continued the rouse of digging and finding all those levels and stones with code, and such. And all these new 'curse' shows drive me batty as no one can tell you the origin of the curse. To Tom's point it's like the telephone game. People just build and build it up. Here in Virginia we have the crazy Beale Codes, which are about as bunk as bunk can be, but people still twist ciphers to make it what they want it to be. The one 'truly' deciphered code isnt even a clean one as some liberties were taken in the decoding. Long story short, I'd love for the Laginas to pull out some fanciful treasure, but I just don't think there is one left. I think a much more conservative treasure may have been found originally in the 1790s.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They found a treasure with all the viewers evrey week they make millions

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Wonder how an English Ships Captain got round the records kept by the ships bursar . As an Officer of the Crown he kept the records .Expenditure Ledgers , Inventory of Equipment and Cargo Port Calendar of State Papers. Good way to keep Captains honest. It was an act of treason to do otherwise . TP

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extremely interesting post, and I enjoyed reading it. It makes a lot of sense. I like Tommy's response also. They are still making millions just by having the viewership and the show on TV. Maybe next season I will have to find another show on Tuesday nights !

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got way too much time invested to quit watching it now, but with that being said, Doug's post is very sensible about the treasure. When I watched it Wednesday morning, I taped it, at the end of the show Marty said " do you think someone made a withdrawal at some point in time? " When I heard that I said to myself I figure the show will last one more year without them digging up the works of Shakespeare or some such. I've got too watch it but it's not near as important as it used to be...d2

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Marty said " do you think someone made a withdrawal at some point in time? " ....

Yup, there it is again: It's NEVER that a treasure simply isn't or wasn't ever there. It's either been removed in-the-past, or is a little deeper, or more to the left, etc...

Why ? Why is that ? Why can't it simply be (gasp) that there isn't and wasn't ever any treasure in this camp-fire ghost-story telephone game legend ?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Doug ! While it would be fascinating to witness a huge , really old treasure being dug up , at some point we really need to wake up and smell the coffee !

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“Tommy said all that needs to be said.” Why would they stop now?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear I’m not the only one that show drives crazy ..... there’s quite a few of those treasure hunt shows on tv rite now .... and they seem to all end the same way with no treasure , I think it’s very likely in most of these quests that the original person that buried the treasure just cane back and recovered it why wouldn’t they !

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic well thought out post...…….I agree with you that they should put the narrator in the hole but if they do may I suggest that they also put Gary Drayton and his "Bobby Dazzlers" in the hole with him?

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post! As I say to my kids and friends who watch this show...The show was filmed last year; if anything significantly huge was found by Marty and the crew; we would have already known about it. I do not think a big find would be kept a secret for very long. My opinion....

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
milking it for everything that they can and then, oh wait, they already have several other off shoots going even now. people are starving for something by their actions.....does this mean that what is on TV sucks? I dunno, if you are into infomercials over and over on every other channel, then life is good. LOL

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome post, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait! Does this mean they are not going to find the treasure?

I must admit i watched one episode. Not sure what season it was but i remember some guy getting sick from a tick bite.

Now, thats what i call entertainment!

OP
OP
D

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, any of these shows need to be watched skeptically, especially if they involve ancient aliens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread