This guy!! claiming its fake

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy!! claiming it's fake

I sold a sterling silver bread knife with a sterling silver handle. The guy emails me after the auction and says how do you know it's real? Well sir it is marked 925. I have acid tested it and I have had someone else look at it who knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. The guy pays for it and writes me back "I paid for it I don't believe that it is real you are representing it as it is real when I receive it I will show you why it's not real"

What the heck, why would something that has the name of Sheffield England 925 be fake!!!? So I called eBay. Asking what should I do with this poor soul who has no idea what he's doing. They said since he made the transaction already to go ahead and ship the item to him. It's on record that it's real so if he opens a claim it will be fine or he will have to send it back. Why can't I just cancel the order. Refund this guy is money. And block his butt? All I know is there goes my 100% feedback. Either way I almost guarantee it!

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you cancel the order, you are guaranteed a negative. If you ship it, you probably won't get a negative because he won't be able to prove it's not legit. I'd take video of myself packing and sealing the shipment, for whatever good that will do.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would email him back and say if you don't think it's real, lets not waste your time or mine and then offer to cancel the transaction. Let him decide to cancel or not.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry there are so many posts. I haven't had as many problems as I have had since after Christmas. I will refrain from posting unless it's important. I have never sold one before or somebody questioned it being real before it was received in the mail. I'm just wondering if any of you veterans of sales have had this experience before how you would handle it because I thought eBay's response was to be questioned.

I did mail the guy and I have not heard back. So I guess I will send it to him and see what happens. I mean who likes being out $50 when they can turn and ask somebody what they would do?

I will try to keep my postings down to a minimal.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep posting Beachkid! You are not alone with the returns lately! As I srated before, it's been a rough 3 weeks of returns! I was all set to kick January off with a ton of listings, but the increase in returns has hit my eBay rating and has PayPal questioning my sales integrity!
As far as this transaction, I think you will be safe having already contacted eBay and your email evidence if the guy tries to scam you.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nah keep posting beachkid. And I have been threatened before on video games. Something like "if these aren't close to how you described them you better bet you are paying me to return them back to you". Whatever. Block them for future sales and move on. eBay has us so worried about feedback and losing our discounts, it's pretty ridiculous.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
We support you so just keep posting. People are just afraid of being ripped off these days and they overreact. Just hang in there...

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a bracelet coming back. I am getting to the point where I am not going to offer free shipping. Tis the season for returning! What's up with it? I've seen an increase in returns. I had a bunch of people not pay. I had one International DOOFUS who can't figure out how to pay for very expensive earrings. We finally agreed to cancel the transaction.

Who pays shipping there? Does the buyer? I would ask him again before you mail it if you still want it. Does your auctions say you allow returns? Sorry you are having all these problems. Hopefully it will get better and people will get normal and nicer. <rotfl! like that is going to happen!>

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy the posts. I think I would have told him to click the cancel transaction but so I could refund him. Or just asked him to explain why it wasn't real so we could cancel the transaction.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep posting- I'd rather read about everything that could possibly go wrong and how it works out for future, hopefully unneeded, knowledge

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered doing something else for extra money ? No offense but nearly every day lately there is a thread from you complaining about Ebay

Know the difference between an ebay seller and a new puppy?? After a couple of weeks the puppy stops whining!!

By the way it does sound strange that a sterling item from England would not have the English assay and maker's marks on it.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know the difference between an ebay seller and a new puppy?? After a couple of weeks the puppy stops whining!!

By the way it does sound strange that a sterling item from England would not have the English assay and maker's marks on it.

I think its weirder that someone would purchase an item they believe to be fake just to "prove him wrong!"

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered doing something else for extra money ? No offense but nearly every day lately there is a thread from you complaining about Ebay

Given the hoops sellers have to jump through, I'm not surprised there are complaints about eBay in an eBay forum. I like to read these posts - if you can get past the complaining aspect you can learn how to handle difficult customer situations. They are few and far between, but they can have a big impact on your account. Beachkid blowing off a little steam here is fine with me - I know at my house I have no one around that would understand some of the issues that I have selling online. You go to any breakroom at any job, and even people that overall like there job will find something to ***** about. And it makes them feel better to talk about it. Then they go back to work.

No big deal.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kid, If this is Sheffield and also marked 925 only I might have doubts too. I thought all english silver was hallmarked.

go here: British Sterling - English Hallmarks, Irish Hallmarks & Scottish Hallmarks

If it is not hallmarked tell him you took it to an antique store and they had their doubts so it is no longer for sale.
apologise and send refund.

Teere was an American company with the same name, go here: Silverplate Marks S - Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks
bottom right photo.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange. It tests for Sterling. Can it be two different companies the handle made by one and blade made by another? It's a challah knife. I will add a picture when I get back.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2607438600.jpg

image-1249754553.jpg

image-3188474859.jpg