This is exactly why you should keep this hobby a secret

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this may be a bad title for the thread. I actually kind of believe that anyone who will spend time coin roll hunting will likely come across it in some way shape or form eventually. Those who aren't the personality type won't do it despite what you tell them you found.

What I mean to say is, etiquette is everything, and Moron's will ruin it for everyone, just like everything else. Went in to my best bank today, in terms of friendly tellers, silver flow and CWR coin abundance. I've found many good half scores but never a solid roll. In fact I've never gotten a solid roll of anything but wheats, anywhere in 3 years of doing this.

Teller said "you missed it! some guy came in here last week and dropped off 4 rolls of halves. I didn't even look at 'em. Another guy came in here the next day and asked for halves. I told him I have 4 rolls and don't know what's in there. he bought 'em and 30 of the 40 coins were all silver!!!"

I can deal with a guy beating me to a big score, I really could care less and may even be a bit happy for them. But what I can't tolerate is them telling the teller, even after she explicitly stated to him she didn't check the rolls, that it was a huge silver score. The teller knows what the price of silver is. think she won't be peeking at the next 4 rolls that come in??? yea right.

god I hate people in so many ways. I've spent years becoming friends with this bank and slowly getting good silver scores from it. for one jacka*$ to ruin it because he can't keep his mouth shut really bothers me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. I say I collect or fill books if they ask, I don't offer that info, and I always say it "wasn't as good as it used to be" if they ask how I am doing. I try to be way more nerdy and hobbyish and that stops a lot of questions.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 rolls of halves = 40 coins? Must be this new math :tongue3:

Dear lord I made the same mistake everyone does on here. sigh 9 years of school............

hahaha anyways that's right, so out of 80 30 were silver. 1.5 solid rolls. still not bad!!!

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on top of that $380 in hand wrapped dimes, each one containing several pennies :laughing7:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that is just messed up, that is a good way to ruin a relationship with a silver producing teller. but then again, the teller should have had time to search 4 rolls. Anyway, let's hope the dude who bought the rolls was making up a BS story :)

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, people love to tell CRHing stories. Dorks I work with tell me they got silver quarters and dimes in their change. I don't beleive em. People spin stories, and bullcrap come out.

Don't beleive what the folks say about huge scores. They could Just trying to aggravate you. Or truly not know what a silver coin. Is. Considering gold dollars get attention too.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some stupid dorks just need attention! They have nothing in their life worthy of talking about. It would kill this jackrabbit if he did not telling the teller about the silver coins.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like timzims advice from some thread long ago... has stuck with me for sure...

Treat the tellers like you grow mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them crap.

Sucks, but it might not make any difference, a bank I was ordering from at my start, had another CRHer who told them about the silver he was finding, but they still ordered for me as well... but im sure they went through CWR's...

HH

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey SFB, that does suck. Another one I hate is the guy behind you or next to you at the counter and decides to say really loud "HEY, YOU LOOKIN FOR SILVER IN THOSE COINS, I LOOK FOR SILVER TOO!" Idiot! HH, Maverick.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
What you should be asking yourself is why the teller gave out the rolls of halves to someone else, instead of saving them for you. You say this is your best bank in terms of friendly tellers, yet they don't save halves for you? I'd say you might need to step up your game a bit. What have you done for them lately? You've got to give them a reason to save stuff for you...

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you should be asking yourself is why the teller gave out the rolls of halves to someone else, instead of saving them for you. You say this is your best bank in terms of friendly tellers, yet they don't save halves for you? I'd say you might need to step up your game a bit. What have you done for them lately? You've got to give them a reason to save stuff for you...

I agree with Former Teller. I have a great relationship with tellers as well and when I share my finds with them they get so happy for me I would say they are almost "giddy". They do save coins that they think have potential for me and would not give them to someone else. Last week a teller told me she saved a roll of pennies for me she spotted when opening a box. It was a Loomis roll with an Indian head ender.

OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That may be true but I don't know what else to do. I bring them candies at christmas and have gotten them pizza before. Every 2 weeks I come in and buy all their CWRs of all denominations, and sometimes even buy all their gold dollars. They tell me they absolutely love it, they never have that much coin to count and pretty much never have to ship anything off to Dunbar. I think if I went any further I'd be a bit overbearing. I don't even do orders there anymore, and when I did order halves it was once every few months. I've never dumped coin there either, never

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some banks dont or wont allow saving for other customers while some do- its just part of the game- all you can do is ask if they would hold anything like that for yiy and call you- they might they might not- but id definitely ask-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
I kinda play it sideways- I'll tell them all about the error, proof and other rare finds- but never mention silver.
If they do, I'll say - If I hunted only silver for a hobby, just the Gas back and forth would brake me-- and as for an investment- I 'd do better off buying and selling watermelons and they don't weigh nearly as much...
PEACE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions