Those using a Tiger Shark

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I have heard the Tiger is good for small gold that other detectors may have trouble with in the water. I was curious what you are running your Tiger settings at and if you can maybe give some experience with the setting or settings, please.

I just bought one and am looking to hunt the fresh water with it. I have played with it as far as an air test, but that is all so far.

Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John the Tiger Shark is a great detector and it does find those thin gold chains too that everyone seems to think they want. But this is a two edged sword as it can also find bird shot. Most of the chains found are broken and have very little weight and the time spent scooping those tiny signals can be better spent sweeping for the big one. Most when they get the Tiger turn up the sens control inside the box and this is a grave mistake because now it is hard to get it reset to where it was at the factory. Mostly you have to turn it down if you use a larger coil like the Clean Sweep. But since they are hard wired now you don't have to do that

Settings are Fast recovery. Either Disc or All Metal. Ground Balance set of course for your area. Disc setting should be done with various targets laid out on clean ground for testing with your detector to see where they drop out and depending on how much scooping you want to do. Mostly I adjust mine to give a funny signal on bobby pins and I am all set. You can play with the Fast or Slow knob to see which you like.

When closing the box, try to close both clamps at once. VERY good battery life. :thumbsup:

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/tesoro-electronics-tiger-shark-metal-detector

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
OK. I appreciate your input Sandman. I think I have it set, now I've got to get out there and try it. Believe it or not, I was in line to purchase a new hard wired detector and was contacted by the dealer I was working with that he had a older unit that looks new that just came in. It was so pristine, he sent it back to Tesoro and not only was it perfect, but they re-issued the warranty card. So I have the older unit with the 8" and 10.5" coil! ;D I got lucky on this one!!!

Again, thank you

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tiger Shark loves the tiniest lead split shot sinkers...the ones that are basically impossible to keep in the scoop. It is very frustrating. Luckily, it also loves heavy silver chains and gold rings. Although I have never got a small gold chain, I have got very small stud earrings, tiny gold rings, and lots of silver. I just got the 10.5 coil this spring, so now the water just needs to warm up. Good luck with your new Tiger! Niffler

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Those using a Tiger Shark - Joining the club.

I am pretty much in the same boat with one of the older interchangeable coil units that looks like brand new. I remember reading a little bit about the Tiger Shark but I am anxious to get it and do some fresh water hunting this summer. Just now, starting to look like it will warm up enough this year to use it. Please share your experiences as you get out and hunt.

Thanks, Don

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro used to make a Clean Sweep Coil for the Tiger Shark but have discontinued it for only that model. You can still find them on flea bay sometimes. I was told that the CSC for the Vaquero, Tejon works with the Tiger if you use an adapter from Tesoro but it isn't water proof. Its a real sweeper for the beach in the dry sand and gets about 7" in depth.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Well I took the Tiger out today at a very small beach near by. 3 pennies, 1 dime, costume cross earing, 3 sinkers, 3 pulltabs, 2 bobby pins, 1 iron hook and a pile of foil.

I think that is pretty good considering the beach I was on. I could tell the bobby pins, but dug them anyway since this is a new detector for me to confirm. Foil and small sinkers do hit well, but so should gold when I hit it as well. The typical Tesoro sounds which I like and so far I am really pleased with this detector. Back to work throughout the weekend, so it will be a few days before I can get back out.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my tiger shark. Set the discrimination between 2 and 3 and you are good to go. The thing to learn with it is that it will pick up targets off the edge of the coil or targets deep down with a short signal that sounds like junk. Take a wider swing out or take a scoop of sand away and you may find a good target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread