To All Treasure Hunters - Our Legal Rights are at Risk! WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The word is getting out, I'm beginning to see our press release on treasure related sites now. This treasure site has set up a page with an email form message box which will attach the story article, send to anyone...you put in their email address and click send.
As in Google...
WWATS - World Wide Association of Treasure Seekers :: We Can And ...
Oct 15, 2008 ... This page will allow you to send article Mel Fisher Museum Responds To Florida State Rule 1A-31 to your friend. ...
www.wwats.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Recommend_Us&file=index&req=FriendSend&sid=1449 - 8 hours ago - Similar pages

Their home page...
http://www.wwats.org/index.php
Here is the form page...
http://www.wwats.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Recommend_Us&file=index&req=FriendSend&sid=1449

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
GREAT WORK EVERYONE!

WE ARE DOWN TO THE LAST 2 DAYS HERE, SO IF YOU HAVE NOT POSTED A COMMENT, PLEASE DO SO!

Thanks,

Robert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGecy said:
GREAT WORK EVERYONE!

WE ARE DOWN TO THE LAST 2 DAYS HERE, SO IF YOU HAVE NOT POSTED A COMMENT, PLEASE DO SO!

Thanks,

Robert

Speaking of the last 2 days. I mentioned emailing a press release in that I'd put together. It was a summing up of our comment from all the threads here, with a link to post a comment...like we have been doing.

Well by this time the editor had finished setting up my online newswire for uploading them myself. He put the second PR in there and said to finish editing it. I did...but after previewing it forgot to click the save press release link which submits the PR. So, did this tonight...hope all goes well now.

Emailed the editor again about the photos, wasn't sure if saving it uploaded the photos. It used to be that way. They added some new features after upgrading the site. Hope to get it out now in time.

Here it is, look it over and tell me what you think. Just is our outcry over these new rule changes. If you see something needs editing, let me know now. And hopefully nobody will mind them getting our views. Any objection? I can always edit the original after it goes out, but not other websites if they use the whole story.

Private Sector Salvors Opposed To Changes In Florida’s Rule 1A-31

"Florida's private sector salvors have done an excellent job of recovering and preserving our maritime heritage ... "

(EMAILWIRE.COM, October 17, 2008 ) Miami, FL - Florida’s submerged lands are owned by the state "for the use and enjoyment" of the public. They are now infringing on these rights. The state has neither the manpower or resources to properly care for them. We should be against any rules or regulations that would hinder Florida's responsible historical shipwreck salvors from their continued recovery of treasures and artifacts, such as the current proposed rules.

Florida's private sector salvors have done an excellent job of recovering and preserving our maritime heritage, to the direct benefit of the public and at little cost to the tax payers and should be allowed to continue with as little interference as possible. Rule 1A-31 does not do this.

Under the Revised and Published Rule 1A-31.0092 (3) c, d, e it declares that permit areas shall have a "Buffer Zone" of 500 yards width from: navigation channels, exempted areas as defined in this chapter and excluded areas as defined in this chapter. These areas are defined in 1A-31.0042 and 1A-31.0045. This means no one will get a permit within 500 yards of a public recreation area (i.e. public beach) which translates to about one fourth of a mile from any Florida shoreline. The entire coastline of Florida is off limits for 1500 feet.

This is not fair because history shows us that the majority of shipwrecks were blown toward or onto shore by hurricanes. The vast majority of shipwrecks on Florida's submerged lands are probably included within this area. It also means no one (without a grandfathered in Admiralty Claim) will get a permit within 500 yards of any inland waters, inlets, National Park systems, National Marine Sanctuaries such as the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary), State Parks, Local public recreation areas, resource conservation areas and resource management areas, areas conveyed to public or private entities, etc.

For more information visit:
https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/View_notice.asp?id=6172515

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
I re-sent my comments again today only this time I dated it and
time stamped it.

I hope that it will be counted on Oct 21 as I will be there for the meeting.

Dinkydick

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without shipwrecks there would be no Robinson Crusoe.The movie is on tv right now channel 2.

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Does anyone know if there is a link, and if so please post it, where we can read the comments that have been submitted by both sides and by who/from where?

They had it prior to their last meeting and was wondering if they still did, or if they got concerned over the outlash about all those "foreigner's" (read - Austrailians, UK archies, ect..) that posted and deleted it this time around.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff K said:

Yes, that is the 3rd PR...follow this thread.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,188156.0.html

Not only that...this is page 1 out of 3 pages of results in Yahoo search engine (title between quotes, search). Great, so let us be International news...I tried a couple links, had to use the cached page link. Most of these are meta-guide though, which seems to take in many countries including Australia.

Development Agencies: CHINA - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's CHINA Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0 is ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 - Emailwire. Mon, 20 Oct 08 00:02:20 -0700 ...
www.meta-guide.com/china/cse2.asp - 51k - Cached
UN Agencies: TOGO - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's TOGO Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0 is a ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 - Emailwire. Mon, 20 Oct 08 00:02:20 -0700 ...
www.meta-guide.com/togo/cse6.asp - 51k - Cached
The Earth Times Online Newspaper, Serving the Planet with Breaking News
Current and breaking news on the Earth Times ... Kabul - Taliban fighters killed a British female aid worker ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 ...
www.earthtimes.org/?GXHC_gx_session_id_=459b3e2f59c149dd& - 171k - Cached
PHILIPPINES - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's PHILIPPINES Destination Meta-Guide.com ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 - Emailwire. Mon, 20 Oct 08 00:02:20 -0700 ...
www.meta-guide.com/philippines - 74k - Cached
HAITI - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's HAITI Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0 is ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 - Emailwire. Mon, 20 Oct 08 00:02:20 -0700 ...
www.meta-guide.com/haiti - 70k - Cached
The Earth Times Online Newspaper, Serving the Planet with Breaking News
Current and breaking news on the Earth Times online newspaper. ... Aguirre in jeopardy if Liverpool ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 ...
www.earthtimes.org/?TB_iframe=true&height=475&width=750 - 170k - Cached
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0 is a powerful ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 ...
www.meta-guide.com/democratic_republic_of_congo - 65k - Cached
MICRONESIA - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's MICRONESIA Destination Meta-Guide.com ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 - Emailwire. Mon, 20 Oct 08 00:02:20 -0700 ...
www.meta-guide.com/micronesia - 64k - Cached
UGANDA - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's UGANDA Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0 is ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 - Emailwire. Mon, 20 Oct 08 00:02:20 -0700 ...
www.meta-guide.com/uganda - 80k - Cached
ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA - Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0
Marcus Endicott's ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA Destination Meta-Guide.com 2.0 is a powerful ... Archaeological Concerns Over Florida State Rule 1A-31 - Emailwire ...
www.meta-guide.com/antigua_and_barbuda - 68k - Cached

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Well guys, I heard we had a tremendous showing! Thanks to all who attended and spoke out for us all. I regret not being able to attend, I had a funeral to go to instead.

Its not over yet!

Robert

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All...

I just wrote a short commentary titled "Whatever Became of the Treasure Coast?!!" and it is going to be printed in the local Vero Beach newspaper... the Press Journal. It discusses a little bit about what gave this area the name "Treasure Coast" and basically is designed to heighten the publics awareness and interest in our historical shipwreck heritage. That's part one...

Part two (assuming they will let me do this three part piece I am planning) will take things a step further and discuss the private sector salvage business and how it affects the local economy and how folks can contact specific state reps to voice their opinions about the DHR's efforts to get rid of the treasure salvage business. I will write it so it will still fit into the theme of "Whatever Became of the Treasure Coast?!!" and mention what the impact may be on the revenue for this community if the private sector salvage is put to an end.

And part three will be about how the local community has changed into too much of a controlled environment as far as access to the public beaches are concerned. That's a topic that has been discussed here on the forum previously and seemed to draw a lot of comment. Why does this county see fit to barricade all the public beach accesses? The Parks Department don't even open the gates to allow access until well after daylight hours. Why can't the citizens go for a walk on the beaches during the early morning or evening hours? Why do we need cctv cameras pointed at the beach... I know that being in public, there are certain expectations and limitations when it comes to privacy, but this county is becoming like a concentration camp! The county has been blocking off all of our foot paths to the beach with "No Trespassing" signs/"No Parking" signs/pilings and wooden fences to block some access areas and "jeep" roads are all but non-existent now. And what's with the huge "NO" signs at the beach accesses... I think they have pretty much eliminated us from doing anything at the beach anymore!! I'd like to see a sign that tells me just what they think I should be allowed to do at the beach these days! Once again, the same theme of "Whatever Became of...."

I wrote these pieces to increase public awareness and hopefully they will provide some additional support to our efforts to stop the county and state from making rules as they see fit without giving the citizens a chance to have our input in the process... obviously this includes the unfair rule changes by the DHR. Hopefully it helps... Phips

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Sounds like a great series Phips. What a great way to educate the public on what they have, why they have it and what a small few want to do with it.

Please post links to the articles as they are run. I'm sure they will be great reads and very informative for all.

Great job :thumbsup:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Red Desert, what does this have to do with treasure? You need to post this on the Politics forum.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubasalvor said:
Red Desert, what does this have to do with treasure? You need to post this on the Politics forum.

Ok, it is removed...

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Has anyone seen any media coverage or news articles on the meeting?

If we are going to succeed we need to get the press more involved. Anyone got any connections?

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
We have officially filed our challenge to the rule and we are meeting with different state officials in order to further our cause. As those of you who were at the hearing observed, we have hired a very capable and knowledgeable lawyer to represent us. Mary worked for the government drafting rules that are reasonable and fair and we are very lucky to have found someone with so much knowledge of the administrative procedures that we are about to become involved in.
If you would like to help us with this, we could really use your financial assistance.

Send your checks to
Mary D. Hansen P.A.
4393 South Ridgewood Ave
Suite 1
Port Orange, Fl 32127
Email : [email protected]

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If any of you folks have any treasure hunting exposé articles that pertain to this subject, along with photo's would be nice, that you would like published on the web, please contact me.

This is another outlet for exposure concerning our legal rights to continue treasure hunting. There is no pay, for me or you, for the story. It is just a place for your story/article to be published.

The site is constantly crawled by Google and a host of other search engines, so your story will get out.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I was concerned about posting this piece here on the forum as I don't wish to have it critiqued by anyone, however a fellow th'er encouraged me to post it so here goes:

(Copy of my letter to Governer Charlie Crist - 11/02/08)

Good morning Governor Crist. I know that you are a very busy man with many important issues to oversee so I will try to maintain brevity in this letter. (Which I obviously failed to do!) :icon_study:

My name is.... blah, blah, blah and I currently reside in Vero Beach, Florida. I am 41 years of age and had worked in the fields of security & law enforcement in several states (including Florida) for almost 18 years. I have since changed career paths and am now working as a private sector historical shipwreck researcher, recovery diver, and artifact conservator.

I am writing to you to express some serious concerns that I (as well as many other citizens) have in reference to the State of Florida Division of Historical Resources (DHR) and their intentions to present a Rule Change to state legislators this month (November) which mandates the rules and regulations pertaining to the "private sector" research and recovery of historical shipwrecks in Florida's coastal waters. The rule I am referencing is 1A-31.

I, along with many other professional/amateur "treasure hunters" and concerned citizens, attended a state hearing at the Guana Tolomato Matanzas Auditorium in Ponte Vedra Beach on October 21st, 2008 in which both the State DHR and the people of the State of Florida were fairly represented. The hearing was set forth to discuss Rule 1A-31 and this was an opportunity for the public to present any comments or recommend changes to the proposed rules content. I will not take up valuable time to reiterate the entire content of the meeting and the details of the specific points that were addressed as it was well documented as a matter of public record and I am sure you have access to the transcripts from said meeting and can review them at your discretion and convenience.

My Father always taught me to stand up, speak strong and true, and when you can't affect change on your own, address the person(s) who can help your cause... hence my letter to you sir.

I just wanted to take a moment to request that you familiarize yourself with the State DHR's Rule 1A-31 and address the grievances that were presented at the meeting on October 21st as it will have a strong impact on this great state on many levels and has a direct correlation to revenues generated for this state through tourism, employment opportunities, and media/film/tv events.

The basics of the issue are as follows:

The State of Florida Division of Historical Resources and its respective representatives are employed by and have been entrusted by the people of this state to record and preserve our historical resources for our present and future generations. They have an obligation to educate the public about our cultural heritage through the responsible use of media, museums, and hands-on presentations. Furthermore, the State DHR has been entrusted to protect those historical resources from any harm including deterioration caused by the environment, pilfering, and irresponsible handling.

Currently, the State DHR does not have the funding nor the staffing necessary to fulfill these obligations and rare historical artifacts that have been remanded to their care are misplaced, mishandled, and sit decaying in boxes in warehouses, storage units, and probably even garages. Furthermore, as we "speak", the many historical shipwrecks which remain in the high energy environment of our coastal waters are being subjected to a constant state of ongoing deterioration. The state has not endeavored to save these sites and once again, does not have the funding or nor the staffing to do so.

AND YET... the State DHR demands through its own rule making process, the ability to control all of our historical resources and they have embarked on a campaign to make it impossible if not illegal for the private sector (the people of the state of Florida) to even search for its rightful historical heritage. I would like to know who gave these individuals the right and ability to make up laws without any public input or redress? These individuals work for the people of the State of Florida and their jobs are publicly funded. Why are they making rules to breakdown the very relationships that can strengthen efforts toward the common goal of preserving our historical resources?

Private sector shipwreck recovery has been the foundation for a good 90% of the projects that marine archaeologists and state agencies have had the opportunity to work on and most of what is in the "state's collection" and public museums were recovered by and contributed by "treasure hunters".

There should be a spirit of cooperation and every effort should be made to work hand in hand between the DHR/archaeologists and the public/treasure hunters. Private sector shipwreck salvage groups have always endeavored to follow the rules and regulations set forth by the state (and in some cases sustained great personal loss through those efforts).

I don't know if you are aware of the impact that the DHR's rule changes will have on Florida, but here's something to consider sir:

- Private sector shipwreck salvage groups (aka: treasure hunters) were responsible for making the majority of the historical shipwreck discoveries along our coastline to date and the revenue that these discoveries has generated has been immense! Tourists flock to the "Treasure Coast" to meet famous treasure hunters, see the museums that are filled with our contributions, and go to the beaches to "pursue their own dreams of finding some buried treasure". Outlawing metal detecting and regulating professional private sector treasure hunting intonon-existence would definately be detrimental to the state's tourism based economy. Not to mention the fact that many newspapers, news programs, documentaries, feature tv shows and motion pictures have been generated by our endeavors and brought revenue to Florida.

- Private sector shipwreck salvage groups are funded by contracts with private individuals and operate with little or no cost to the taxpayers unlike the State DHR which relies upon tax dollars and grants to operate. Clearly the public supports us in our endeavors as we can only continue to work through their personal financial support & faith in our efforts.

- Private sector salvage operations stimulate the economy and generate employment opportunities in this state by employing everyone from historians, researchers, marine archaeologists, artists, photographers, conservators, divers, crew and support staff, marine mechanics, marina personnel, computer technicians, and even electrical/mechanical engineers. We also generate income for numerous metal detector companies and survey companies. And our contributions to the state has ensured job opportunities for state positions like the DHR and state museum personnel. It amazes me that during a time of war, political uncertainty, and economic hardship, that the State DHR would see fit to put forward a rule that would cause many folks to lose their source of income!

And just a last note... the majority of the private sector shipwreck salvage groups operate in a professional and ethical manner and have a strong respect for the natural environment in which we work. We have also endeavored to meet professional standards in our application of marine archaeological techniques during the course of our operations and have contirbuted a great deal to the advancement of underwater technologies.

I ask you, what has the State DHR created, advanced, or done for the people of Florida?

They have denied exploration and salvage permits to the private sector for the last 15 years and hindered progress with regards to the recovery of our historical resources yet they have granted excavation permits to their friends in the universities within two weeks! Why is that?

They have endeavored to make both the amateur metal detecting citizen and the professional private sector treasure hunters out to be "grave robbers" and "shipwreck looters" despite the fact that they perform exactly the same activities using the same techniques as we do to recover historical artifacts. Why is that?

They have scheduled meetings and hearings pertaining to rulings affecting the salvage community in locations that were inappropriate for the majority of the salvage community to attend and during times that were inappropriate for most to attend. Get the picture?

I ask that the Rule Changes for 1A-31 not be passed into legislation without a more substantial evaluation by both the State of Florida and the people of the State of Florida to ensure that it does not contain wording that would make continued private sector historical shipwreck salvage impossible to continue.

I also ask that the State take a good hard look at the DHR's motivations behind the suggested rule changes and that their tactics for getting the rule change submitted with minimal public scrutiny be investigated.

Well, all that being said, it is my hope that my comments were clear and well stated and I hope that I will have the opportunity to thank you in person sometime in the near future for any efforts that you may extend on the behalf of the private sector shipwreck salvage community and the people of the State of Florida. I hope I never have to ask the question, "Whatever became of the Treasure Coast?"

If you have any questions about my comments or would like to reach me in person, you are welcome to contact me at...

Respectfully....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread