What's new

Todays finds were alright

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some scrapers ,flake knives , broke blade , small ax, awesome side scraper
 

Attachments

  • image-2724708254.webp
    image-2724708254.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2259135436.webp
    image-2259135436.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2794358705.webp
    image-2794358705.webp
    73.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2311104424.webp
    image-2311104424.webp
    51 KB · Views: 105
  • image-588346327.webp
    image-588346327.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1359602818.webp
    image-1359602818.webp
    46 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3043553850.webp
    image-3043553850.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2100181456.webp
    image-2100181456.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Here is another pic of the broke biface
 

Attachments

  • image-4175111681.webp
    image-4175111681.webp
    40 KB · Views: 94
Painter those are some good finds:thumbsup:Dude you have more worked stone in your area than anyone.
 
Thanks guys I'm in what I would call the perfect storm the springs , flint , and abundant food sources . I live just minutes away from one of Americas largest indian flint mines that was used for thousands of years . You give a few hundred indians a few thousand years they are gonna pound out a lot of nice rocks ;) I'm truly blessed to have the opportunities I do for givin my busy life as a dad if I didn't live here I would never have time to hunt
 
Nice finds!
I could get alot of work done with that scraper.
I totally belive that the outside section with cortex on one side was chosen and purposely left on those as grip when your hands are full of blood and fat.
 
Last edited:
And I believe your right that's some good old thinking haha that thing is very heavy your material ID would help me if you can tell by photos ?
 
From the description you gave above it sounds like the origin of the material is no mystery.
If your referring to the fact that scraper looks more orange than the rest..that's probably just from iron content in that particular piece.
It could probably be considered Jasper technically.
 
You do know Im sure the "broken biface" was made that way dont you? I have one like it and Ill show ya. Its a whole tool maybe a scraper maybe a chopper. You had a great day!
 

Attachments

  • 100_4418.webp
    100_4418.webp
    138.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_4419.webp
    100_4419.webp
    150.8 KB · Views: 99
That's a nice piece you got and thanks rock . This one was the other biface I was talking about I should of typed it different haha how old is your piece?
 

Attachments

  • image-2302626532.webp
    image-2302626532.webp
    51 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2994738797.webp
    image-2994738797.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 100
Thanks gator I have other pieces made of that heavy material just wasn't able to get info . Your always helpful BOSS
 
Im not sure on the age of mine. Its hard to say, guess is archaic
 
It's a good looking artifact
 
Yeah something about the black artifacts I really like. I like them all but the deep colored black ones are my favorites.
 
rock........I'm not saying what either of those are..but if you study a bit about how material was heat treated... specifically how it was prepared for that process you'll find that thinned blanks and performs were treated so the heat could make it through the piece.
They were often buried with hot coals then another fire burned on top to reduce oxygen and sudden spikes in temperature...it's also dangerous when they pop.
Despite this...MANY still broke.
The fact that several of these are found that look the same is just the nature of the process and doesn't make it a complete tool.
 
Last edited:
Might consider dover also. It's usually a brownish color.
Dover Flint Quarries | Entries | Tennessee Encyclopedia

Nice looking worked pieces Painter. I have found when you are near a good source they will work just about every rock in the area to some extent. Almost as if they were testing it all. Great to see the big reduction flakes and looks like you are near a good source.
 
You dont have to fire the black flint to work it. Thats why the Indians in this area liked the black flint so much. You can take a cobble rite out of the creek and make a tool if it is solid with no fractures.
 
You dont have to fire the black flint to work it. Thats why the Indians in this area liked the black flint so much. You can take a cobble rite out of the creek and make a tool if it is solid with no fractures.

You don't have to fire treat any good flint.
They did rock.
Just trying to help.
Do you know why flint was heat treated rock?
 
You don't have to fire treat any good flint.
They did rock.
Just trying to help.
Do you know why flint was heat treated rock?
2 reasons, 1 to change the color and the other to make them stronger. You did help dont ever be concerned about that. I always like learning.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom