What's new

Todays finds were alright

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some scrapers ,flake knives , broke blade , small ax, awesome side scraper
 

Attachments

  • image-2724708254.webp
    image-2724708254.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2259135436.webp
    image-2259135436.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2794358705.webp
    image-2794358705.webp
    73.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2311104424.webp
    image-2311104424.webp
    51 KB · Views: 105
  • image-588346327.webp
    image-588346327.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1359602818.webp
    image-1359602818.webp
    46 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3043553850.webp
    image-3043553850.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2100181456.webp
    image-2100181456.webp
    57.2 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
2 reasons, 1 to change the color and the other to make them stronger. You did help dont ever be concerned about that. I always like learning.

Nope.
rock.. the color made no difference whatsoever.. these people were surviving rock.. pretty was not on the top of the list.
It removed moisture from the material making the material knap far better by allowing a percussion shock wave to travel through the flint without being spread through water molecules.
It just knapped better.
 
I know for a fact it is Dover material but that piece with the iron like stain it is heavier compared to regular Dover flint of same size now my question is does heat treatment make the material denser ???? And thanks for your replies Tn
 
Takes the glass like effect out of the rock and makes it like butter to knapp. It changes the atoms around. Dover I do not think was heat treated. I could be wrong as I do not knapp. I would have to think heating might make it lighter though..???
 
I agree on Dover not being heat treated but I have found some crude or broke large tools which looks like it had been hot ... You know it turn pinkish like firecracked rocks or is it not the same ... Sorry for all the questions
 
I think there was just alot of iron in the ground water where that particular section of flint formed.
 
I agree on Dover not being heat treated but I have found some crude or broke large tools which looks like it had been hot ... You know it turn pinkish like firecracked rocks or is it not the same ... Sorry for all the questions

You have to remember there has always been forest fires. Could of happened after they were made and already in the dirt.
 
Good point rock thanks boss
 
Got cold here yesterday, burrrrrrr. I didnt turn on the heat last night and it was 52 in the house when I woke up.
 
Its in the fifties here.
 
26 yesterday morning
 

Attachments

  • image-2276650466.webp
    image-2276650466.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 75
Some rock needs heat, some rock knaps good raw and some rock knaps better after being soaked in water. Just depends on the rock. Because I am still a so so flint knapper I like to heat treat most of my rock because it makes it easier for me to knap. Others like the challenge of knapping raw rock. Heat will change the color in some rock. A good example of that is when I cooked up Flint Ridge material.

Most still refer to rock as flint but I don't think there is much true flint in America. Most are cherts , jaspers and other named rock types. Kind of like calling a small point a bird point.
 
Last edited:
I did not say there is no "flint" left in America. I wrote there is not much "true" flint in America and your article proves my point if you would read it.
 
The article actually explains unless you're using a word that came from England to describe high quality chert there was never any.. its just a word that came from England.
Its like the difference between "Pop" and "soda"
No need to get testy.. maybe you should read it again.
 
Last edited:
Not what I say, its what was written and you requested me and everyone else on here to read. Your the one that mis-quoted me, "No flint left in America, that's a good one". But them you are "Gator Boy"
 
Interesting how we all have opinions that maybe a little different from someone else's haha . Even our opinions in many cases are based off of an experts opinions . That's my opinion ;) ...
 
Sorry painterx but my former profession made me a little technical sometimes. I guess sometimes is just "ain't" worth bringing up!!!
 
It's totally ok friend haha .. Me my dad cousins brothers hang out for happy hour in the garage in evening time swapping opinions we call it open forum it gets heated at times but that Is the joy of it . Hell that's why we do it
 
Question. Were only certain materials heat treated and/or was this a method that appeared at a certain time in history? Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of tools were not heat treated, right?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom