Too Many Individual Forums! Shrink The Website.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I am grateful for TreasureNet. But it has grown way beyond its usableness. An octopus can't help having 8 tentacles. But TreasureNet is not an octopus but has grown too many tentacles. I think it would be better to consolidate a lot of the individual forums. There should really be just forums such as: Show what you found today. What is it? General Forum (to discuss anything and everything, except religion). Limiting the forums to just those 3 or maybe a couple more would show participation in higher numbers instead one needing to select a forum which because of the forum's name might not attract a wider audience which a poster would prefer.

TreasureNet is too spread out.

Silver Fox

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
.............I too agree.

I use to look at lot's of forums here but now I only check out 3-4.
I don't have the time to see any others.
Hope I don't get banned for speaking up.
Thanks........see ya mark

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
So..............this forum has grown to a place where................if you love to medal detect, coin roll hunt, just collect coins, bottles, antiques, if you have a hobby, or a medical cure, or problem, if you need help, or have a question of any sort, take pictures, or have an idea that can be expanded upon, you can come here.

That's a problem? ???

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I have to disagree....Tnet has drawn a lot of members because of its diversity. We have it all here and I like being able to catagorize different items of interest. I love the Way Tnet is set up because it helps me find things faster and easier than searching through the same forum. Since I have been here,Tnet has grown tremendously and the forums catering to an array of indivual tastes has kept this forum at the top of the game.
I realize that for our new members things can seem a little confusing....but once you learn the set up it is fantastic. There are certain boards I seldom look at...but its there if I need it. People tend to gravitate toward the boards that they know most about, Shipwrecks, Native American Artifacts ,Civil War etc....and I think thats great because then we also learn who specializes in those fields and can call on them if we need help.
I have always thought of Tnet as a One Stop Shop....its here somewhere when we need it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well most folks veiw--todays finds and the whats it section then move on to whatever interest they specialize in (what they like best -- civil war , indain artifacts, spanish treasure / beach hunting) it allows for very focused in depth talk of a "special" type of items whatever they maybe and the style of hunting best suit to it . --go where you like / see what interest you --its a part of the beauty of T NET

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Well, so far, the consensus is that bigger or more is better. But how about a fictious situation such as this one: first, while GENERAL DISCUSSION draws a lot of attendees, this forum draws just a few. If the topic had been placed in GENERAL DISCUSSION everyone would then pipe in with their opinion. As it is, I don't think that many at GENERAL DISCUSSION will gravitate over here to see what's happening and offer their valuable opinions.

Say you have a question about an item, a method, whatever and you have to select the proper forum and you may not get that many replies or one that satisfies you. In the meantime, over at some better attended forums are detectorists that could answer your question but these detectorists don't bother checking all of the other forums to see where their knowledge could come in handy. Instead of individual forums such as relics, coins, beach, etc., all of these forums consolidated under GENERAL DISCUSSION would get you the largest amount of replies. And we're here to help each other out IF we knew what you needed help with.

Too many cooks spoil broth.

SF

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Yeah, but you can never have enough variety in the broth? :icon_sunny:

Why not post it in GENERAL DISSCUSION then? Post it where YOU think it belongs. if you are mistaken Jeff will move it. :)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We have some folks asking for more individual forums then others apparently would like less. I know this site can be very overwhelming for someone new that comes seeking help but I also see the organization makes it easier to pinpoint those that have the most expertise in each area. For instance anyone that has a whatsit finds out REAL fast that PBK is the person to beat as far as figuring something out for you fast. Also there are many helpful people here that are more than willing to lend their expertise in an area or point someone in the direction of the right person for the job so thankfully we can pm folks as well if we can't find the answer we are looking for. I hesitate to even mention how many times I have had to ask someone directions to the best source for what I am looking for. lol I have always gotten a quick answer though. yay team!! I am very glad I do not have to sift through 100's of posts in one forum in order to find the information I am looking for when I am trying to research something. And Praise God for being a charter member so I can use the search button even then! :hello2: Just my opinion of course and I do not mean at all to say I don't understand where you are coming from in some respects on yours. Happy Easter to ya!! :bunny:

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Silver Fox....I understand your point about an unanswered question being placed in better attended forum....but it really doesnt work that way....If a knowledgable Tnetter is going to offer their assistance on a subject they know about,they will seek out those boards .....or there are certain people who do know alot more than the average person, but they wont answer a question no matter where you place it.

There are some really smart people here who offer alot to the forum. You can always ask a moderator for help on who to ask also....I know I drove certain people (names not mentioned to protect the innocent) crazy when I first started here .... :-X
And you can always go into chat and ask who is in there who to turn to for answers.

Charter Membership also gives you the Search option....this is a valuable tool, because you can put in key words to see if maybe your question has been answered already in another post.

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
My opinion for what its worth its perfect, I click unread posts and it gives me all new posts in all forums except the ones Ive opted out.
If Ive missed a few days and its overwhelming I just go to the forums I want to read, mark all read and start all over.
gotta luv it

OP
OP
Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Yeah, but you can never have enough variety in the broth? :icon_sunny:

Why not post it in GENERAL DISSCUSION then? Post it where YOU think it belongs. if you are mistaken Jeff will move it. :)
Good suggestion and makes sense. Now, where is that GENERAL DISCUSSION forum, it's around here SOMEWHERE! :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to preferences :icon_scratch:
and scroll threw and ignore topics 8)
you go from 4-5 pages :stop: a day to 1 or 2 :thumbsup:
do you really want to read what everybody says about everything (I DON'T)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you imagine what general discussion would look like with over a hundred people
posting in it.
You post about indian artifacts & nobody comes online who knows the answer till
a few hours later. an hour later it's down
30 or so posts & Forgotten because not everyone will open it
to see what it was about. Where will it be by the afternoon ?
2 - 3 Pages Down ?

Would be like a Production line.
:D
Actually I'm probably wrong.
Most of our members would probably move to a more organized site.
with alot of choices.

The TrasureHunting hobby is too Wide spread in Possabilities
from Coinroll hunting to Shipwrecks.

And from those who only have intrest in one to those
who Like it all.

Thanks For your Thoughts Though :wink: :coffee2:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like it the way it is to. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread