aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P7300030.JPG

P1020288.JPG

Some guys have asked me to send them up-close pictures of individual coins from my silver coin "cache" river finds from these past two years. So here is a Youtube link to a video showing the front and back of all 201 silver coins I have found there so far. I do have even better pictures if anyone would like to see a bigger shot of an individual coin.

Now, I know it's not really a "cache" or "hoard" as it was not squirreled away, but "cache" sounds better than someones "droppings". :laughing7:

The video is long and boring if you are not into just looking at coins, so clicker beware. I hope you enjoy.

Upvote 16

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the vid. The condition of the coins is incredible. They had to have been lost not long after minting. I'm still green with envy from watching the original video!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait...are you the guy with the AT Pro? ...I saw a vid and an adv in my latest treasure magazine. I have been so curious: if this is not from a spread out cache...then what? It seems the vid I watched looked like a fairly small river...Ferry crossing? What do you think the story is...I have been intrigued about this for the longest time :thumbsup:
View attachment 722306

View attachment 722307

Some guys have asked me to send them up-close pictures of individual coins from my silver coin "cache" river finds from these past two years. So here is a Youtube link to a video showing the front and back of all 201 silver coins I have found there so far. I do have even better pictures if anyone would like to see a bigger shot of an individual coin.

Now, I know it's not really a "cache" or "hoard" as it was not squirreled away, but "cache" sounds better than someones "droppings". :laughing7:

The video is long and boring if you are not into just looking at coins, so clicker beware. I hope you enjoy.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chigger,

I'm sure you get asked this all the time...so sorry in advance...But what camera do you use?..I watched a lot of your videos and that camera is awesome...
Thanks in advance....keep postin those vids man.

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a problem. I get asked the same questions many, many times in a row on my Youtube channel. Nearly identical questions, lined up in a row like little ducks.

I have shot all of my videos with Olympus Stylus Tough cameras. There have been several as I find a lot of them in the rivers and always upgrade to the newest model I find. That being said, I did just buy the newest one, an Olympus TG-1. I REALLY like it and it is superior to any other I have used by far.

And Sov... as far as the coins... "I found them at a river crossing. I figure someone on horseback or a wagon got swept over when the river was running high. They probably died or had to move on before the river went back down." That's my cut and paste answer. Not a problem to answer it again, but I sure am glad I figured out how to cut and paste that. :laughing7:

Ask away if you have any other questions...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That answer makes the most sense. Yes, this was a huge amount of money back in the 1830s, but someone moving westward would have probably sold most everything they had so they could start a new life in the wild rugged lands opening up.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the patience...I know it can get really old really quick when you are ask the same thing over and over:tongue3:
Not a problem. I get asked the same questions many, many times in a row on my Youtube channel. Nearly identical questions, lined up in a row like little ducks.

I have shot all of my videos with Olympus Stylus Tough cameras. There have been several as I find a lot of them in the rivers and always upgrade to the newest model I find. That being said, I did just buy the newest one, an Olympus TG-1. I REALLY like it and it is superior to any other I have used by far.

And Sov... as far as the coins... "I found them at a river crossing. I figure someone on horseback or a wagon got swept over when the river was running high. They probably died or had to move on before the river went back down." That's my cut and paste answer. Not a problem to answer it again, but I sure am glad I figured out how to cut and paste that. :laughing7:

Ask away if you have any other questions...

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Appreciate the patience...I know it can get really old really quick when you are ask the same thing over and over:tongue3:

Thanks man, I appreciate ya taking the time.

Keep postin your vids and thanks for your advice and tips you put in them as well.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^^^ The above post was for chigger ^^^

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am way beyond impressed! I watched the original YouTube video you posted of finding them and was impressed by your braveness. Chiggers and snake and ticks,oh my!:tongue3:Those coins really leaned up nicely,you should be proud.

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'd give my left gonad to find some of those.
It would be hard not to give some smart ass answers after getting the same question over and over. Props to you!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah thanks for NOT doing that!
I'd give my left gonad to find some of those.
It would be hard not to give some smart ass answers after getting the same question over and over. Props to you!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. I've seen coin dealers at shows that didn't have as nice a selection.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I'd give occy's left gonad for a find like that! This is the first time I've seen this and sorry I missed it. A late congrads. I looked at your banner post and see it's been a year? Just how far up and down stream did you go? One really good area? Did you go up and down banks there? Were all the finds in the creekbed/water?
Like everyone else all I can say is wow!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...what I am curious about is...how did you clean them?

Best Wishes,

Buck

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lucky duck, I bet you were smiling when you found them, thanks for sharing.:occasion14:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the video very much!
So, is 1836 the newest coin in the lot?
I was really intrigued by the wear patterns on the coins but could not make a clear hypothesis. It seems that 1834 is the most frequent date and most of them are near mint.
Yet, a couple of 1835 halves have more wear unless they were weak strikes for that year.
For the most part your reales from the 1770's have a good amount of wear, but the ones from the 1790's are in great shape and of course the one's in the early 1800's as well.
But that 1820's Mexican 8? reales is quite worn.
I think that a study could be done on those 201 silver coins and some sort of publication could come out of it.
I am almost thinking that the worn reales were in the U.S. since day one but the older ones in decent shape were possibly introduced into U.S. circulation later on?
Sorry for the ramblings that probably don't make sense. I have always been very interested in wear patterns to help date my sites better.
A typical newbie mistake is to find a worn out 1770 coin and to say "My site dates from 1770."
One could assume that because 1836 is the newest date, that this hoard was lost around that time. Except the wear patterns tell a different story.
Almost like someone squirreled away half the coins for 20 years before the whole works went mobile.
I better stop babbling now.
Incredible find man!!!!
Cheers,
Dave.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you're babbling, it makes perfect sense to me. The fact that the newest coin and those very close in age are in excellent condition PROBABLY means they were lost very close to that time. Back then, silver was silver, it didn't matter who minted it. So it's not surprising that some of them will show considerable wear for maybe 20 years of use.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the you tuber comments saying they think its fake. Haha, this is my fav MD video In a year!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the you tuber comments saying they think its fake. Haha, this is my fav MD video In a year!

Yeah, there's a lot of people whos only criteria for being "fake" is that they have never found anything that nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions