Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
My brother and I were hunting an area he was using a new AT Pro and I was using a new GTI 2500, His numbers and signals were bouncing all over the place. 1 minute would register a solid hi tone the next it wouldn't even register That there was a target under the coil. This is in standard coin with iron about 35. As he walked off I hit the area with my GTI 2500, And got a solid nickel @ 4". Dug it, and I'm looking @ a nice 12.5 gram mens Figaro sterling silver bracelet! No I don't think there's anything wrong with the AT Pro it was finding coins in other targets left n right, however you can't argue with the fact that the GTI is almost $400 more, there has to be a reason for that. I purchased an AT Pro to play in the water with, not to replace my everyday go to machine. Just my opinion, and observations.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Sounds like interference....Are you close to your sons machine while hunting?...i have had all that happen, but only when I get close to my buddys etrac, and then they both go apeshiit

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's sounds to me like you have a coil problem possibly a short garrett has great customer service I'm in Kentucky if your local swing by my shop we can throw a different coil on your machine to see if that's the problem!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your normal helpful self, on every ATP thread, Sandman....................oh wait its the other one!!

Used to make mad when the atp didnt find it all as advertised. Now I laugh at another believer. Dont drink the cool aid.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used to make mad when the atp didnt find it all as advertised. Now I laugh at another believer. Dont drink the cool aid.

Casca long time no talk buddy I haven't seen you in awhile

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the 5x8 coil. For me it made a big difference.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ross190, If your ATP is still doing this you need to contact Garrett. There is something wrong with your machine. My At pro hasnt found it all yet, but its got a good start on it. I am sure it has paid for itself in the year i have owned it....that is if i could bring myself to sale anything that i found!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca long time no talk buddy I haven't seen you in awhile
I been swinging what can I say. Nice Etrac for sale there Petrie502, I keep hoping I can find the money on some of the machines you sell.

The problem could be a handful of things from the way the coil is wrapped to if the Postal Service dropped and packed it hard in transit. Usually its the monkey, so take a few breaths and start again. Go slow and low, keep the settings simple. Let us know how it worked out.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ross, you don't mention where you hail from? What I think you may be hitting are hot rocks... here in NE PA it isn't uncommon to get those strong beeps only to dig and find nothing. However, a pin pointer will eventually find the culprit in the heap. I am not saying your coil isn't bad, I am just saying these could be the problem.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been swinging what can I say. Nice Etrac for sale there Petrie502, I keep hoping I can find the money on some of the machines you sell. The problem could be a handful of things from the way the coil is wrapped to if the Postal Service dropped and packed it hard in transit. Usually its the monkey, so take a few breaths and start again. Go slow and low, keep the settings simple. Let us know how it worked out.

Haha I try to price them pretty cheap man, did you see that explore 2 I let go, if you ever need anything buddy let me know just give me a call, and I promise it will be one phone call you don't regret brother!

Back to the issue at hand, you know the hot rock thing isn't a bad idea but as much flashing as he is saying he's getting, he'd almost have to be on the moon, I think he has a bad coil issue it happens.. I hope you get it figured out!!

OP
OP
R

ross190

Nov 14, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all and thanks for the help / advice. I have not yet been able to retest the machine due to weather. Hoping for this weekend. To answer some questions: 1. We ruled out interference - were deep in the woods, other detector fully off. I live in Massachusetts. The area has a lot of iron buried around - house built in early 1800's, but when I dig often there is nothing present iron or other.

The frustrating thing is all of the false readings are 87 + signals, very repeatable, register on the pinpointing function, and at 8-10" deep. I am talking a signal like that every 10 seconds.

I did bring the machine up to a less trashy area (my lawn) and it behaves somewhat better.

One thing I noticed is that at about 8-10" deep, there is a distinct soil change. Do you think I may be balancing on the surface soil, then reading down to more mineralized soil which is falsing?

I hope not, because the cheap bounty hunter with auto ground balance is right on the money in the same area.

Thanks again.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello neighbor

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ross 190 mine was happining exactly like that more than a few times , nice 87 repeatable signal , dig down and rescan hole and nothing like insaid earlier , scan sand from hole with pointer and atp and all quiet , hole quiet , fill hole back in with same sand pack down rescan and ding 87 solid hit!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I suggest you use Pro Mode Zero rather then standard mode, set the discrim at 35, find some good ground(no iron) where you plan to hunt and auto ground balance the machine. Don't swing too fast, if you get a target that seems to be all over the scale and jumping up to 99 then it is old rusted iron. If it sounds scratchy and not a clear tone then use your iron audio rather then wasting time digging. If the soil is really irony then knock the sens down a level.
As for interference, make sure your BH is not too close to your machine and try a different frequency setting. As stated Power lines and electric fence will drive it crazy.
If you don't have a pro pointer the I would advise getting one, you can waste allot of time and miss small objects with out one.
Also if you are bumping objects like rocks and stumps it will false.
The BH most likely does not get near the depth as your ATP so it will pick up on small objects your BH is missing. I would rather a noise machine that hits on the silver then a very quite one that is missing all sorts of stuff. Always remember, Iron Patches are your friends.
Hope this helps.
ZDD
Check out this Bill Ladd video, it may help you to learn how to listen to the tones.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman's here to not bash the AT PRO but to try to help. Ross I think you need to send it in to Garrett for their fix up. Many of the early AT pro's were "boat anchors" due to bad coils, but guys still tried to use them claiming how good they were. You received some good advice from others and I was thinking your problem was electrical interference. Has everyone near you turned off their cell phones? But I think your boat anchor just needs a new coil as in shipping it might have been dropped or you have a cracked circuit board.

I am sorry if I disappointed some of you by not bashing the AT pro! but at least you we're entertained and that is the reason I like to get everyone logging back on.

HHS,
Sandman

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman's here to not bash the AT PRO but to try to help. Ross I think you need to send it in to Garrett for their fix up. Many of the early AT pro's were "boat anchors" due to bad coils, but guys still tried to use them claiming how good they were. You received some good advice from others and I was thinking your problem was electrical interference. Has everyone near you turned off their cell phones? But I think your boat anchor just needs a new coil as in shipping it might have been dropped or you have a cracked circuit board.

I am sorry if I disappointed some of you by not bashing the AT pro! but at least you we're entertained and that is the reason I like to get everyone logging back on.

HHS,
Sandman
...Now sandman you mean that calling the AT a boat anchor is not bashing.?? :laughing9: LOL

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read the thread through but if I've missed something, I apologize.

That said, there are just a couple things I'd suggest.

I know that false signals happen and the equipment could be faulty. It sounds like one or the other is true here. But, you say that in a different location, the machine seems to work better. If it was the machine that was broken, it should behave the same almost anywhere.

So, I'm going to assume the machine is working, at least reasonably well.

Maybe, a large iron something or other sank into the ground long ago, rusting along the way, leaving a large amount of oxidation that is fooling the detector. When you dig up the ground, you disturb that trail and the signal goes away. Or did you say that no matter how far you dig, the signal stays? :icon_scratch:

When you get one of these signals, try pointing the head straight overhead and shake it about. If the signal stays, then it's the machine.

One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned, is trying one of the other frequencies that the AT offers. Hold down the pinpoint button and then push the sensitivity button, the AT will show a number 1-4 on the screen. Every time you push the sensitivity button with the pinpoint button held down, it will cycle thru these numbers. Each one is a different frequency. Possibly you happen to be in some sort of hot spot in your woods. Where air transmissions/interference is particular strong. Is it possible there is an electric fence somewhere nearby?

Hope that helps.
My AT has been very sensitive and stable. I doubt that I just got the only one they made right. ;)

Good luck and let us know the resolution.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions