What's new

What could have done this?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
6,108
Reaction score
3,817
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up getting this coin back in some change and noticed it was a wheat in amazing condition...until I saw the back.

Im sure it’s probably PMD but what the hell would make these marks? The gouges are the same patina if the coin so they aren’t fresh.

ADDFACF9-14FF-4570-A5F5-6FFFFB962B93.webp155A8F25-BC8F-4A9B-8B50-647EC8B9CA99.webp
 
Upvote 0
I don't know if it's PMD. The rim looks pretty intact for that much damage.
 
It looks like a defective planchet, as though something were stuck to the steel roller press when the sheets of metal from which blanks were punched were fed through? Doesn't look like a normal lamination error but I'm not too experienced with them. Can you get an accurate weight for the coin? If it is a bit less than the 3.11g then I'd assume defective planchet of some sort, proper weight then it happened when struck (or is PMD, but doesn't look like it). Cool find!
 
Struck through a foreign object, maybe large and thick glob of grease or something similar.
 
Wait for Frank, but it just looks like pmd to me.
 
Wait for Frank, but it just looks like pmd to me.

Enamel, I gotta confess. First few times I read any of your comments I thought to myself, "this guy's full of himself." But, over the last couple years I've grown to respect your opinion. I've learned that you, like Frank, call 'em like you see 'em. Just Sayin'! Thanks for your insight.
 
Enamel, I gotta confess. First few times I read any of your comments I thought to myself, "this guy's full of himself." But, over the last couple years I've grown to respect your opinion. I've learned that you, like Frank, call 'em like you see 'em. Just Sayin'! Thanks for your insight.

Thank you! Someone that gets me. I'm not trying to come across as condescending, it's just easy to look at the written word and see it multiple ways. Lots of times people ask "how did this happen " and quite frankly most times it's impossible to know.
 
And I like the "just sayin" you threw in there!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom