Prospecting

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I liked to drink beers on my breaks from dredging, you can drink and prospect the real issue is taking proper notes, clearly labeling samples and not tripping and hurting your self lol but then again I’m a Clamper. LOL I was sober when I broke my leg at my grandmas placer mine.
Making correct and proper note is the core of exploring for minerals.
Other tools can be also used to help the process and make it easier to re-track.

Camping skills can also be very important.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never was very good at taking notes…I do remember that when we were enjoying the cold ones in Reno, we made a habit of going to the chicken ranch for hot wings if we believed we had a fruitful day…It was the closest saloon to the stomping grounds and the chickens were always hot and the beer was always cold…What foolish things one does when they are young…I remember the day I gave the Tia Juana away…I was the butt of all my fellow prospectors jokes…Yeah, he found a diamond…What a nice piece of quartz…That looks more like glass than quartz…And it went on and on…Oh well…I was definitely the drunk fool that day…In a way I am glad I gave it away…I am fairly content being poor…

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never was very good at taking notes…I do remember that when we were enjoying the cold ones in Reno, we made a habit of going to the chicken ranch for hot wings if we believed we had a fruitful day…It was the closest saloon to the stomping grounds and the chickens were always hot and the beer was always cold…What foolish things one does when they are young…I remember the day I gave the Tia Juana away…I was the butt of all my fellow prospectors jokes…Yeah, he found a diamond…What a nice piece of quartz…That looks more like glass than quartz…And it went on and on…Oh well…I was definitely the drunk fool that day…In a way I am glad I gave it away…I am fairly content being poor…

Ed T
Today there is some equipment to test gem stones etc.
Taking notes can be done with a recorder however paper note may be better.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheap and they serve their purpose

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes paper notes are best but I wouldn’t have graduated college without recording my lectures. Taking personal notes on a tape recorder is just as good if not better than physical notes.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes paper notes are best but I wouldn’t have graduated college without recording my lectures. Taking personal notes on a tape recorder is just as good if not better than physical notes.
I was thinking that the recorder out in the field may not work all of the time if the battery issues, is dropped, hits to much water and other factors.
The paper form can be fast to mark off. There is even paper that can handle some water.
The recorder is easy to use.
The GPS that can take a picture with the ordinances is even way faster.
One can even take a picture of the location with the rock sample bag in the picture with the time of a few seconds for the process.
The pictures can even be layered over a map.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking that the recorder out in the field may not work all of the time if the battery issues, is dropped, hits to much water and other factors.
The paper form can be fast to mark off. There is even paper that can handle some water.
The recorder is easy to use.
The GPS that can take a picture with the ordinances is even way faster.
I am a very paranoid person…When I used to go into the field I wouldn’t even wear a watch…I have met some people who take pictures with their iPhones in the field…There is no way in hell I’d take my phone into the field…Big Brother keeps track of me 24/7…lol…That is how paranoid I am…

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a very paranoid person…When I used to go into the field I wouldn’t even wear a watch…I have met some people who take pictures with their iPhones in the field…There is no way in hell I’d take my phone into the field…Big Brother keeps track of me 24/7…lol…That is how paranoid I am…

Ed T
The phone should be left at home.

The modern GPS is better for taking pictures with the coordinates. When you get home plug into a computer that is used only for that type of use offline.
The pictures and other documents can be stored on a flash drive, DVD disc. external hard drive all off line.
Use a older computer for the above use and store important information separate. You could even store undergrounds if you like.

Phones are bad news in most ways as far as data goes.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The phone should be left at home.

The modern GPS is better for taking pictures with the coordinates. When you get home plug into a computer that is used only for that type of use offline.
The pictures and other documents can be stored on a flash drive, DVD disc. external hard drive all off line.
Use a older computer for the above use and store important information separate. You could even store undergrounds if you like.

Phones are bad news in most ways as far as data goes.
IF you think a computer is secure…I have some bad news for you…lol…Every modern electronic I have ever owned has been hacked…I wouldn’t doubt it if my phone has been hacked…And I thought the technicolor clock was a good solution for Y2K…lol

But that is just me…Paranoid???or realist???

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IF you think a computer is secure…I have some bad news for you…lol…Every modern electronic I have ever owned has been hacked…I wouldn’t doubt it if my phone has been hacked…And I thought the technicolor clock was a good solution for Y2K…lol

But that is just me…Paranoid???or realist???

Ed T
Well not using wireless transfer can help.
One can use a computer that never goes on line can really help.
Phones should never be used unless you have a isolation type of bag for it.
Storing information on external storage is very important from getting hacked.
A old fashion type of watch is very useful.
Using a old operating system can be useful for staying off line.

A realist can see this as just a part of taking good notes.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not using wireless transfer can help.
One can use a computer that never goes on line can really help.
Phones should never be used unless you have a isolation type of bag for it.
Storing information on external storage is very important from getting hacked.
A old fashion type of watch is very useful.
Using a old operating system can be useful for staying off line.

A realist can see this as just a part of taking good notes.
More bad news for you…if your system has been compromised…Plugging a usb drive or micro sd is only opening up infiltration of said devices…And when you insert usb flash or micro drive into any other computer tablet or any other device you have corrupted it as well…

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More bad news for you…if your system has been compromised…Plugging a usb drive or micro sd is only opening up infiltration of said devices…And when you insert usb flash or micro drive into any other computer tablet or any other device you have corrupted it as well…

Ed T
Not if it is formatted first then stored underground. Keeping your hard drive cleaned is just part of using a computer offline.

Writing data over the cylinder of the hard drive that was used is always a good idea.

Formatting a hard drive, usb drive, sd card is also useful with the concerns of privacy.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not if it is formatted first then stored underground. Keeping your hard drive cleaned is just part of using a computer offline.

Writing data over the cylinder of the hard drive that was used is always a good idea.

Formatting a hard drive, usb drive, sd card is also useful with the concerns of privacy.
There is no such thing as privacy in this day and age….

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no such thing as privacy in this day and age….

Ed T
Well one can make it difficult for the supper computers that are used for information gathering around the world.

Cutting down on radio waves can help.

Privacy is not possible with the consent that is often made somewhere along the way.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well one can make it difficult for the supper computers that are used for information gathering around the world.

Cutting down on radio waves can help.

Privacy is not possible with the consent that is often made somewhere along the way.
I try to make it as difficult as possible for big brother to gather certain information…Here in the good old US of A, there is a mutual agreement between Canada and the US…Canada snoops on the Americans and the Americans snoop on the Canadians…It is supposedly against the law for the US to spy on its own citizens…rofl

Ed T

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good night people…Tomorrow is the last day of an old year…

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I try to make it as difficult as possible for big brother to gather certain information…Here in the good old US of A, there is a mutual agreement between Canada and the US…Canada snoops on the Americans and the Americans snoop on the Canadians…It is supposedly against the law for the US to spy on its own citizens…rofl

Ed T
Well good for you as many don't even think about it and just store everything on the big cloud...........lol.

Still most countries will pay for the use of the supper computers around the world.

OP
OP
JohnWhite

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good for you as many don't even think about it and just store everything on the big cloud...........lol.

Still most countries will pay for the use of the supper computers around the world.
Do you remember what it was like before the cloud? I remember the first time I used the cloud…I had to figure out some basic programming to get the darn thing to work…It wasn’t as hard as solving Y2K or explaining how to improve the 40% effectiveness of our missile defense system…But life was pretty dull before the cloud…lol…Now almost everyone uploads their lives into the cloud…

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you remember what it was like before the cloud? I remember the first time I used the cloud…I had to figure out some basic programming to get the darn thing to work…It wasn’t as hard as solving Y2K or explaining how to improve the 40% effectiveness of our missile defense system…But life was pretty dull before the cloud…lol…Now almost everyone uploads their lives into the cloud…

Ed T
Up loading your life to the cloud can be very foolish.
You make the call.

One can buy external hard drives now that will store 16 gigs and are very portable. Storage costs have really come down at this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions