What's new

What looks like and tarnishes like silver

MRBeyer

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2007
Messages
430
Reaction score
219
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
I have several pieces that look, feel, and tarnish like silver. They are not stainless, aluminum, german silver, pewter, or white gold. I don't have a testing kit yet so I am unable to confirm anything. I just am looking into what other options they may be. Nothing is electroplated, nothing is stamped or marked. All have been machined or milled so you can see they are not plated. The question I have is what else could it be? Trying to use the collective concience and experience of TN members. Thanks.
 
I will be buying some silver test solution today. I also contacted the manufacturer of one of the items for a full description.
 
Zinc? pewter? Frank
 
Too shiny to be pewter, not zinc either. Wrong tarnish.
 
How about Zamac ! It's used in marine fittings. Frank
 
Do they use Zamac for plates and cups?
 
Maybe I can do a bulk test, put the nitric acid in a small plate inside of a bag full of stuff, the fumes should cause alot of it to oxidize. If it works I'll post it. Might make my work faster.
 
:icon_scratch:

Why not post some pictures :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Should have the camera problem solved soon so pictures will be forthcoming. Tested the silver, looks like this stuff tests out between 500 and 800 so I'm thinking it is 750 silver. I had someone tell me this stuff wasn't silver in the past (I gave the bowl away as a gift) so it is nice to know my instinct is actually correct.
 
pictures posted, sorry about the poor quality. these include 924 g of 500-750 silver in bowls. Yes, I tested them 4 times in the same spot to double check and even gouged where I had tested to see if it was just unusually thick plate. All going to melt next week. I think I have about $6 into it.
 

Attachments

  • tnet5.webp
    tnet5.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 653
  • tnet2.webp
    tnet2.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 635

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom