What was the very first thing you ever found?

OK..here ya go... ;D I've posted this in the past, but here's the short version...

We moved from the burbs to the country. Before buying this property we wanted to make sure that there was a creek here. It was summer time and the vines and briars were in full swing, but we managed to climb our way through them and found the creek. Beside the creek was this old beech tree with all kinds of writing on it.
IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Two weeks later, satisified with the place, we bought it and moved in, all the while my mind was on that old beech tree and what the scribbles might mean. Decided to try and do a little research on the internet and found the Tnet site. METAL DETECTOR!!!! I need one of those! Charlie took me to the nearest Radio Shack and I got me one! :o I was so excited, knowing I was going to find that hidden loot! 8)

Here's what I found!!! :P All of the older member's here should remember this! :D

100_0265.jpg

I found that in my haste and excitement to start hunting with my very own new M.D. that I had forgotten to put in the batteries. I had to drive 5miles back to the house to pick them up. Then i found a nail. Twas a good day!

Nonsequitur said:
I found that in my haste and excitement to start hunting with my very own new M.D. that I had forgotten to put in the batteries. I had to drive 5miles back to the house to pick them up. Then i found a nail. Twas a good day!

Sounds like one of my detecting trips lately :D

5 miles for batteries lol that must have sucked i'll let you know when i do the same thing from the excietment!

umm my house is only a few years old and well u no workers get lazy and trow/bury trash in random places
so i found an old razorblade.i was digging with my hands from excitment and cut my favorite finger.the middle one. ;D

My very first find was a coin, actually an 1840 half-dime. My wife and I were at the site of a local ghost town, I switched on the machine and dug the first thing that didn't come up as iron(it was maybe my third target). She was really skeptical that I could find anything with the detector, so it felt good to get somethin' cool right away. I've been back to that spot several times since, it's given up a couple buffalo nickels, a '44 quarter, a merc, several wheat/IH pennies. I will say that getting an 1800s coin right off the bat is extremely addictive.........

My first find was a Lincoln cent in my side yard. I remember thinking...WOW, this is only the beginning. I also remember what my wife said when I showed off my first find. She said "Wow, now you only need to find 84,999 more to pay for your MD!" :(

i dont remember the very first thing i found but i do remember the day. wish i could remember though.

I saved my allowance to buy a MD, TR no discrimination no ground balance about as stable as a dog on an iceburg. Went to my Grandfathers ranch, found tons of hot rocks. Hauled the pile of rocks back thinking they were all full of the gold stuff! Whoee! One of the old boys told me they were leaverites, and explained what a leaverite was. Threw all the leaverites away. Later in the 80s found out those rocks were probably from a meteorite spread, and were worth something around $9 a gram. Never heard the end of my first MD "expedition" and never re-found the pounds of leaverites.

It was a 1905 Barber Dime. Found it digging in a friend's backyard when I was eight years old. Pre-detecting days!

I was 12 when I started MDing with my Dad (I'm now 40)...we went out every weekend and found a lot of silver dimes...My first find was the joy of spending time with Dad and then I think we found a silver dime...I was hooked!

Happy detecting,
Ang

That would be today. A mirror mount ffor a mid 1950's Mercury in the back yard. I want the rest of the car!?! ;)

I found a old metal racecar with rubber wheels less than 2 minutes of turning on the detector. The second thing I found was a pulltab, but I was already hooked for life on detecting. That was in 1980.

A hotwheel at the beach four more before the end of day.
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back