Whats the strangest thing you have found Metal Detecting?

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

tater307

Apr 18, 2011
Farmland Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS, Troy Shadow X3, Ace 250

Attachments

• strangest find ever 001.jpg
    strangest find ever 001.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 301
  • strangest find ever 003.jpg
    strangest find ever 003.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 218
  • strangest find ever 004.jpg
    strangest find ever 004.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 256
  • strangest find ever 005.jpg
    strangest find ever 005.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 398

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cookie tin with a baggie of dope in it.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garter strap fastner

Attachments

• Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 262

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
A very old condom metal box.That read for the prevention and spread of disease.The coolest was a old button from the French war with the slaves in Haiti. B-)

Last edited:

RESET

Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting a field near my house, found a quarter with a bullet hole thru it. Not Annie Oakley, it was a 2000 Virginia state quarter.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
RESET said:
Hunting a field near my house, found a quarter with a bullet hole thru it. Not Annie Oakley, it was a 2000 Virginia state quarter.

People put the coin on the end and hold the gun straight up and fire.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug up an old coffee can thinking Cache of Coins, ended up being someones dead pet.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
A very old condom metal box.That read for the prevention and spread of disease.The coolest was a old button from the French war with the slaves in Haiti. B-)

I've heard of those. Somewhere fromt he 20's.. Post a pic of it? There a piece of history. (condom box)

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made one post already, but......about 3 months ago, deep in the mountains of central South Korea, hunting near a crosstrail. Found a VietNam coin
dating back into the 1400s. (I find Chinese and Japanese coins all the time.....they got here through traders. And I have found, near the DMZ, a couple
of U.S. coins, an Australian coin, and an England coin, all dated just prior to the Korean War.) But, how that Vietnamese coin got here got me puzzled.
Then, a couple of weeks after, digging about 50 kilometers away from the VN site, I got a nice signal. Dug down and found something that kind of looked like a piece of an old car (the kind I have found in parks/lawns in the U.S., that I played with as a kid.) Got home, cleaned it up, and found it was not
a car. It was a small statue of Buddha. Didnt have a head, or the extended pieces of the arms. And the base was gone. But, for sure, it was a Buddha statue. I have gone back with my smaller sharpshooter detector, looking for the other pieces.....no luck yet. Will keep trying.

metalstacker

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the spring after Irene dumped 7 feet of water on our property in upstate, NY I hit a field across the road from the house. The very first target I found was a random piece of metal that must've been part of a sign. I flipped it over and read the writing. It said "FLOOD"

Oh and yesterday I was tooling around the yard and hit an overload signal. When I flipped the plug over, an old revolver was staring me in the face. I'm cleaning it up to try to find a marking on it.

Also 12 consecutive pairs of NY license plates from 1934, then another 4 consec pairs on another part of the property next to the hood of a 1947 dodge pickup. That thing nearly killed my back pulling it up. lol Also pulled a 1925 Chauffer license and long beach patrolmen badge not far from it. This entire area was very active during prohibition so it's interesting to find all this random stuff and try to imagine the story behind it all. I wonder if there was some kind of booze smuggling ring that passed through our property??

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once dug up a wooden box with brass hardware. Inside the box were two giant snail shells. About 3 1/2" in diameter.
The only thing I could think was that someone had buried some strange pets after they died. I reburied the box.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
A lever-action 1800's 22 cal. Marlin rifle. Found it near the highway under a board along the back side of an old house's understructure. There were lots of bandits running around "Stumptown" (Portland, Oregon) back then, and between the unrest of the early Native Americans and the bandits, people often kept a gun hidden - but quick and easy to grab. That gun was one of them. The property belonged to another person and he kept the gun.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about this homemade ring, 1925 wheat penny ring. IMG_0337.jpg s IMG_0349.JPG

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far the strangest finds of mine was a antique sliver plated fishing reel. The following evening I found the identical reel at another farm ten miles away ! That was a little strange.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
a car, don't have any idea what type or how old but I sure as hell wasn't going to excavate it

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I told you I found Jimmy Hoffa, would you believe it?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That knock you're hearing on your door is just the FBI......maybe they will believe you......They believe every other crackpot.....

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
I have already posted a strange find but I just recently came across another one. I have been hunting this vacant house built in 1912 with the owners permission and decided to hit the front porch. I check the base of the steps, junk. I check the front of the porch, junk. I start swinging by the side of the porch and get a couple decent tones about 4-5 inches down. I dig a plug and hit something semi hard, looks like plastic. I cut the hole a bit wider and realize its visqueen but its dense so now Im thinking I might have dug up the remains of an old roll. Then I remember that it was setting my detector off so I pulled my probe out and still had 2 signals right under the visqueen, my imagination started running wild and my initial thought was that I might be digging up someones pet. I stopped, thought about it and decided to uncover a little more before dissecting the visqueen with my pocket knife. I widen the hole a bit more and see something black and round pressing up against the plastic so now my thought is someone wrapped up an old pipe that ran into the basement etc. to keep water out. I almost covered it when i decided to wiggle the pipe and heard some sloshing. Definitely not a pipe, its a lid to something. I couldnt take it any more so out comes the knife and I cut through all 10 layers of visqueen and peek in. Just as I suspected, strange but I guessed right. It was a gallon jug and there were more, I started digging and cutting a bit more and managed to wiggle one of the jugs out. My wife had since come over with our 7 week old daughter and was watching me as I victoriously pull out and display my gallon find. She starts laughing hysterically because she recognized the container, its udder wash. She grew up with animals and explained that its used to sanitize the teets of an animal before you milk them. I left what I guess to be at least 6+ more gallons right where I found it until I could inform the homeowner and find out whether they would rather have mystery fluids in their yard or a giant gaping hole next to their porch. They chose the gaping hole, I have yet to retrieve it all but I will update with a pic and a final count. Oh, the decent signals I had were the metal lids of two of the gallon jugs, they came in right around in the nickel range at 4-5 inches so I was hoping for something good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread