What's new

Whats your oldest coin?

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
357
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats the oldest coin you have found while detecting? This may have already been a thread, but I'd love to see them! Post a pic, what it is, and where you found it (type of place)please. Thanks! Good luck and happy hunting!
 
Last edited:
Late 1500s French Douzain, collected by the French government and restruck and countermarked in the 1690s to be sent for circulation in the French Colonies. Found in Dirtyville, Canada.
 

Attachments

  • col6.webp
    col6.webp
    25 KB · Views: 100
Late 1500s French Douzain, collected by the French government and restruck and countermarked in the 1690s to be sent for circulation in the French Colonies. Found in Dirtyville, Canada.

Wow! Great find! I actually purchased one of those lol here's mine. I believe it's 1573



image-2624770177.webp



image-1594414377.webp
 
1852 large cent... if I remember correctly. Found it detecting but simply pulled up a carpet to find it underneath. A kid's hidden treasure... lost in time. TTC
 
Wow! Great find! I actually purchased one of those lol here's mine. I believe it's 1573









1573 would be Charles IX and yours is clearly King Henri with the H H marks. I think it's 1575 (Henri III)
 
1573 would be Charles IX and yours is clearly King Henri with the H H marks. I think it's 1575 (Henri III)

Whoops my bad. That was a guess since I couldn't remember exactly lol. 1575 is the correct date after looking thanks!
 
1852 large cent... if I remember correctly. Found it detecting but simply pulled up a carpet to find it underneath. A kid's hidden treasure... lost in time. TTC

Very cool!
 
Late 1500s French Douzain, collected by the French government and restruck and countermarked in the 1690s to be sent for circulation in the French Colonies. Found in Dirtyville, Canada.

Oh and when I meant where I meant type of place. What kind of place were you at? Lots of history there i assume!
 
1857 flying eagle dug in Illinois old farmhouse still my oldest coin to-date! The area I hunt a 1800 or earlier coin would be extremely rare? HH p.s. any work on east coast detector will travel!
i
 
my oldest 1761 half penny, worn nearly smooth, my oldest token, a bank of montreal 1844 half penny.
I guess I need to buy a camera, my phone just wont do it.

Very cool! What type of place did you find them in?
 
Both were found near what I assume was a old home site / farm since I found many relics such as horseshoes farm related items and whatnots, all coins I found at that location, were either found under huge old trees, or around stumps of long felled trees, over 150 coins came out of that spot, 97 of which came out of a mason jar, that was under a huge rock, exactly 2 feet underground :)
Now that I have the new minelab, I'll have to revisit the place, and see what if anything my trusty old fisher may have missed....that is depending on if I can figure said minelab out, you almost need a degree in engineering just to read the damn manual lol.

Mike
 
Oh and when I meant where I meant type of place. What kind of place were you at? Lots of history there i assume!


Was a site settled by early French settlers, probably about 1720.
 
Celtic silver washed coin about 70 BC found in Germany. Only worth about 100-200 bucks but still my oldest.
 

Attachments

  • Jan29_01anc1celtic.webp
    Jan29_01anc1celtic.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
1918 wheat penny that I found last week in my back yard. I have found several dateless Buffalos this year too.
 
Oh Wow!...I cant even compete with you guys...Mine was a 1892-s Barber Quarter....it was my 3rd ever silver...and still the oldest to date...and Ironically found on this day 3 years ago
 

Attachments

  • QuartFront-9-16.webp
    QuartFront-9-16.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 94
This is a Polish cross denar from around 1100 and I found it on a field in Poland .
 

Attachments

  • image-177540996.webp
    image-177540996.webp
    79.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1356775360.webp
    image-1356775360.webp
    74.1 KB · Views: 101
This is a Polish cross denar from around 1100 and I found it on a field in Poland .

Wow, that's a nice old coin with some history behind it.
 
VERY NICE GUYS!!! :hello2::headbang: I forgot i havent posted mine ill post later. Good luck and happy hunting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom