Where would you start fresh, if you could?

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
What place would like to go have a try at with a serious run. Like move (at least temporarily ) there (that area anyway and home base) and find a place to claim, or buy a claim or just go club or public access. Alaska has availability.

Assuming you already have all the goodies you would need. Not big commercial operation, but good enough stuff to get the job done in a 1 to 3 person operation.

Are there any good areas like this left which offer a reasonable expectation of success? Success being since you already have the grubstake, you do well enough to not have this 'vacation' cost you any more out of pocket.

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alaska or South America. Lived in Alaska, and would go back in a heartbeat. Have always wanted to go to South America but not real sure about how safe for an American it would be. Better like either the heat or the cold for those two.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alaska. If you are young and unattached, get your a** up there.

It was my dream 30 years ago, but other things got in the way, before you know it your roots are down.

I guess it's my one regret in life......

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd go to Canada.....Upper BC interior. Takes a lot of research, but lots of potential. Leasing minable land is very common....10% is the going rate. Knowing a Canadian miner is extremely helpful.

Bejay

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
French Riviera....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can prospect there?
but

Uh, no; not really. There are places you can in France, Italy, Austria, Germany, where there is gold, but hard to actually do much other than pan. But if you can afford the French Riviera, you could afford to get to these places and do some gold work.

There is a fellow on here (TN) with a gravity dredge in Europe.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your serious about productivity, you should have mountain workings in summer and desert diggs in the winter. I know of guys who sluice and highbank May - Sept then drywash Nov-March (taking some time off in Oct and April to relax) These fellas are are in their 30's, single, work hard yet smart and live a rugged spartan life style ..camping. I've been invited to the camp and its actually quite comfortable. They have done well for themselves because the partnership has solid foundation based on common goals and respect. When I saw Alex around Christmas and asked how his year went he replied; "Not bad, I managed to save almost half " (of the gold) Not too bad if you ask me

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
For myself... I'll be doing the desert thing year round for at least the next few years. After that? Well I could see myself doing a Tony Beets and working Alaska or B.C. in the summers and then head back to the desert claims come winter time. I don't do snow well anymore. :blackbeard:

OP
OP
ConceptualizedNetherlandr
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
For myself... I'll be doing the desert thing year round for at least the next few years. After that? Well I could see myself doing a Tony Beets and working Alaska or B.C. in the summers and then head back to the desert claims come winter time. I don't do snow well anymore. :blackbeard:

That is wonderful advise. But the desert, Alaska and BC are such big places. I wanna know where to point this 5th wheel!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Arizona. Not new to me but others need to be in AZ. Around Rich Hill, Stanton, AZ. One of the guys came all the way from Indiana to dig where TimC and I showed him. He found $178 worth in his first day! The areas around Rich Hill will produce for many years to come. Starting out fresh is a shot in the dark. KNOW YOUR AREA, means work it, work it, work it, till you can up the return. That is to say, success breeds success. There are areas around Rich Hill that will keep you in pay dirt for the rest of your life. As in any area worth the effort, you will burn calories and SWEAT, but no reason why you could not earn the $50 (yearly) club fee on your very first day. But again, you will EARN it if you will work. No free lunch here either. TTC

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You can prospect there?

Take a short trip there. Very expensive, but extremely civilized. Check it on google. He(treasurehunter) was just kidding you... He is a true gentleman. I, on the other hand would move to a brothel in Nevada. I'm 66, would not live long, but I certainly would die happy...

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Southwest Idaho around Sweet Home(now that's an invite if I ever saw one) is where I want to retire in about 10 yrs..... Epic hunting, fishing, gold, low house prices and it's near my daughter I haven't seen for over 3 years.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL Well I haven't even began the research for Alaska or B.C. yet so I can't say. as for the desert... Northwest section of Arizona. pretty much anywhere north and west of Phoenix. I'm looking at Mohave County myself. Gold in the hills and fish in the lakes and river!!!! Good combo if ya ask me. ;)

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is for Alaska , oh wait I'm already here! Only thing better would be to spend my winter in the desert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread