What's new

Who has recovered "dished" or concave/convex coins? Why was it done?

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Been Wondered since I found my first, was an 1896 Guatemala 1/4 reale, one of histories smallest coins, believe it was 11mm.
Deeply dished, how it was accomplished eludes me.
i know of at least one other I've found, and think I may actually have four, not randomly bent either, somehow almost perfectly dished to an obvious extent.
Will post pix when I get on the mainframe.
look forward to hearing about others experience. HH all.
 
Years ago in an old dilapidated house, I found several eyeball finds. Slightly concave. Part of a bracelet, I would imagine. Never actually dug any though.

attachment.php
 
I have these - larger copper coins and not dug. I picked them up somewhere years ago. I assumed it was some kind of boredom type project without any real purpose. But I don't know.
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    565.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    726 KB · Views: 116
It has been very common to make buttons and decorative conchas for belts from coins for quite some time.
 
Like Argentium explains, I've seen these "dished" coins made into necklaces and bracelets on ebay...if I could get some cheap, I'd take them off and mash'em flat again lol...Ddf
 
If the coin has holes in it, it was part of a piece of jewelry. I've seen silver coin bracelets made of domed coins.

Goggle: domed coin bracelet.

Please show us a pic.
 
Interesting topic. I'm tagging so I can get back to it. I can post a pic of the tool to do this if anyone is interested.
 
I got a couple of “dished” coins I picked up in a junk bag from my LC.... but never dug one.
I did one time dig about 20 wheats, all with the rims cut off evenly.....strange.
Those are my mini-wheats.
 
Some of these old silvers are so thin I feel like I could easily bend them with my fingers.
 
Thanks all,
ill get a pic of the 1/4real up shortly
 
steelheadwill,
You asked: Why was it done? Several theories have been suggested: (1) Flat coins were 'pure', cupped coins were alloyed. (2) Cupped coins were harder to counterfeit;and (3) Most likely IMO, they were cupped to make them strong enough to resist bending and breakage.(Think of an eggshell.)
Don.........
PS: I'm referring to cupped coins from many centuries ago, not current coins for collectors--like certain baseball coins.
 
dug a dished buffalo once an was always wondering. thanks guys
 
When I was a Silversmith I domed coins for buttons quite a number of times.
 
I have a dished merc dime that was made into a button. Not sure where I got it had it for years.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom