would something like this work?

allenkeeton

Jun 26, 2014
cartersville, GA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i was outside working on a car. while looking at the engine something popped into my head. :icon_scratch: a strange idea i guess. would a piston driven pump work? i decided to come in for a break and draw this up.

kinda curious about it vs. a jet driven suction.

crazyplans.JPG

also, no one ever hired me for my artistic talent. 8-)

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen old engines used as water pumps externally powered.If the valves work...the pump works.
good idea
cheers

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it will work, and it is how alot of water at high pressure is moved.

Keep thinking though! You drew it out pretty well I thought!

pumpoperationdiag.jpg

I hope this doesn't date me, but I have had to work on a few windmills too( same thing)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You need check valves for the inlet and outlet sides.

The problem are the surges in pressure on the outflow side. No consistent outflow pressure which could stress the heck out of whatever is down stream on the outflow.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an inquiring/mechanical mind allenkeeton.

No disrespect wandering slightly off topic but gravity fed ram pumps are intriguing to me. Building one,I don,t know, l.o.l. but claim is their not too bad. Keeping clacker valve clean about it.

~ World's Greenest WATER PUMP ~

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of very good four cylinder Model A engines were ruined by making them into water pumps. The engine runs on three cylinders and pumps water with one. Some of those old farmers were ingenious making do with what they had.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if it wasn't for people wandering off topic, we'd never broaden our horizons.

Isn't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have said all my life that the person who comes up with "the original" idea NEVER gets credit. The reason being it's just so easy for another person to take "the idea" and say "Watch this" and rightfully improve upon it easily... dwarfing the original idea.

We've all done this (I'll admit it). Been working on a problem. Can't figure it out. 1/2 hr., 1 hr., maybe a day goes by. Then somebody just walks up and says "Why don't ya do this or that". It almost for a second pisses ya off because it was so simple and you were in such a "box". Same goes for a great idea....!!!!

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That "strange idea" is referred to as a "flash of genius" at a patent office....like if you was in court fighting someone for stealing your idea...they will ask you when you had your "flash of genius"....P.S. something to keep to yourself if ever needed later. said thief will say it was his flash of genius. I can only imagine how much the "wheel" was a strange idea....lol

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
The problem are the surges in pressure on the outflow side. No consistent outflow pressure which could stress the heck out of whatever is down stream on the outflow.

From a pressure accumulator tank, then a regulator.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are many configurations of "piston type" pumps. The basic hand bilge pump uses a piston with a flapper valve in it's head and a foot valve in the base of the cylinder. Frank...-
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread