xterra 705 at the beach ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No but it should do well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the best beach detector but it does work at the beach, just remember there is salt spray in the air so protect it even if you don't get close to water....

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works great on the dry sand, not worth the time in the wet sand. SS

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the best beach detector but it does work at the beach, just remember there is salt spray in the air so protect it even if you don't get close to water....

Especially what he said.Salt water is very corrosive.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great in the dry sand

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and like all other single freq machines it is only ok at best in wet salt sand. Very good for dry sand detecting.

OP
OP
Wahoo

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand there is a coil specifically for beach detecting. Each coil is supposed to have different frequencies. So if there is in fact a coil for beaches I'm hoping it will work well in the wet sand. I won't be taking it in the water. Just hoping to hit low tide. headed to Myrtle Beach for Vacay in a couple weeks. So in lieu of buying a dedicated Salt water detector I was thinking of buying a beach coil for it. :/ well hopefully someone will come along before than who has tried the beach coil.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet is a DD coil like the Minelab 10.5 DD (not waterproof) or 5x10 elliptical coil (also not waterproof).
NEL also makes coils that will work on the Xterra but that's a whole other topic I do not want to comment on.
Concentric coils see too much ground under the coil which will cause more falsing in wet salt sand with single freq machines.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand there is a coil specifically for beach detecting. Each coil is supposed to have different frequencies. So if there is in fact a coil for beaches I'm hoping it will work well in the wet sand. I won't be taking it in the water. Just hoping to hit low tide. headed to Myrtle Beach for Vacay in a couple weeks. So in lieu of buying a dedicated Salt water detector I was thinking of buying a beach coil for it. :/ well hopefully someone will come along before than who has tried the beach coil.
Xterra series runs on 3 freqs, 3.5, 7.5, and 18.75 if you have 70 or 705, but it only runs 1 at a time so coil is not going to change how poor it works in wet sand, it is still a single freq detector. The 3.5 and 7.5 are your 2 normal coils you will use unless your gold nugget hunting then you use the 18.75 when running the 70 or 705.

There is no "beach coil" for the Xterra series..

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Wahoo, dont waste your money.
In the dry sand just about any detector will do good.
In the wet sand a dual or Multi frequency detector will be best.
Something like the Fisher CZ-series, Whites DFX or BeachHunter, Minelab Sovereign, or any of the Minelab BBS or FBS detectors.

So if you are going to hunt the dry sand a Tesoro detector with ground balance or just about any other quality detector will find the goods.
But if you want to get in the wet stuff then you will need something more expensive.

A PI detector also will work good there but there is no discrimination and you will dig a lot of trash.

Hope this helps you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was forced to use my 705 on the wet beach once, because my primary beach machine broke down one day. And it was NOT a good wet salt machine. Tried every conceivable setting, and I bet it only afforded half the depth of machines like Sov, excal, explorer, etc....... Thus not a good wet salt machine in the slightest, despite the "beach mode" on there.

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree , not a good beach machine, i used it for a year and tried the beach a number of times and actually hated beach detecting, was better of dirt fishing, then i got a sov gt, and had a spiritual awakening, i fell in love with beach detecting and forgot in the most part of the dirt. If its what you have use it, lower sens, hunt with tracking on, the beach umbrella wont make a diference specially in the wet. Good luckout there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread