What's new

Yankee winds up in wrong county !!! @@

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week I gained permission to MD a new spot. It is a huge farm owned by three brothers ages 65-78. The youngest brother granted me permission, and at the time I thought it was just his place. It had all the makings of a dream come true; 1865 house, other old one bedroom houses, old barns, slave shacks, large plowed fields, a CW soldiers gravesite, and very close to the Bentonville Battlefield. What more could a guy ask for?
Now mind you, this property is in a county where "Yankees" are not too welcome still. :wink:
I got there this morning and met the guy that gave me permission. We shot the breeze a bit and then he left. I thought, "alright, the place is mine with no one to bug me." I started off with a Merc on my 3rd hole. Ya-hoo, a great day for sure I thought. Then another truck pulled up and it was the middle brother who was super cool. He told me years ago his son found "a 1700's silver coin with foreign writing about the size of a dime, but thinner" out in the field. I thought :icon_scratch: hmmmmm, must be a reale. Now I was VERY excited. :o So he left to go plow a field. So my detecting around the yard continued joyously. I dug some keepers including 3 Mercs.
A few hours later the oldest brother shows up, and says "Are you about done digging holes in my yard?" :o This guy must have been the mean brother, as I could tell he didn't want me there. With the other two brothers nowhere to be found, I figured I'd better call it a day. I thanked him for letting me detect on his property. Before I could leave though, he had to tell me a few enlightening things like:
"What's the difference between a Yankee, and a damned Yankee."
Answer: A Yankee is one who comes to the South to visit, but a damned Yankee stays.

Then he tells me he will not carry a $5.00 or $50.00 bill in his wallet ever.
"Why is that", I ask.
"Because they have Yankee presidents on them!!!" he says.

At that point I'm thinking maybe it is this guy who throws all the pennies on the ground because Abe is on them. ;D :icon_scratch:
Maybe it was because I drive a Toyota truck instead of a Ford?
Maybe it was because I have a full set of teeth? :tongue3:
Maybe it was my Obama for President sticker?
Whatever it was, my dream spot came to a quick ending. :(

Pictured is a CW soldiers gravesite out in a field.

Besides my pride, I walked away today with:

*Three Mercs ; 1940 , 1941 , 1944
*Seven Wheats: 1909 , 1927 , 1931 , 1936 , 1944 (x2), 1950
*1974 vaccine tag
*Old bracelet w/silver plating. I thought it was twisted wire at first. ;D
*A beat up copper "G" ring with gold plating.
*Odds & ends.

I'll get em next time. :wink:
Have a great week.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-125S.webp
    MVC-125S.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,826
  • MVC-124S.webp
    MVC-124S.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,758
  • MVC-123S.webp
    MVC-123S.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • MVC-122S.webp
    MVC-122S.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,762
  • MVC-121S.webp
    MVC-121S.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,763
  • MVC-130S.webp
    MVC-130S.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-129S.webp
    MVC-129S.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-128S.webp
    MVC-128S.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,766
  • MVC-127S.webp
    MVC-127S.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,788
  • MVC-126S.webp
    MVC-126S.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,793
Upvote 0
Doug,
Looks like a great adventure with some good old COINS! :wink: ;D :icon_sunny:

Sounds like there will be more to come. What's with this Yankee thing? Did he think you were a Yankee? Guess if you are born a Yankee, you will always be one. :tongue3:

We don't have that problem up here 'cause we are all Yankees! :D ;D

Bob
 
great finds MM ! to bad you had to run into a guy like that , seems like theres one of those guys around every corner these days :icon_scratch: , congrats on the excellent finds and great pics also :thumbsup:
 
Mirage said:
Doug,
Looks like a great adventure with some good old COINS! :wink: ;D :icon_sunny:

Sounds like there will be more to come. What's with this Yankee thing? Did he think you were a Yankee? Guess if you are born a Yankee, you will always be one. :tongue3:

We don't have that problem up here 'cause we are all Yankees! :D ;D

Bob

I'm coming up there to hang out with my fellow Yankees. You guys have all the coins up there anyways. ;D :wink: Thanks Bubba Bob.
-Doug-

weasel606 said:
great finds MM ! to bad you had to run into a guy like that , seems like theres one of those guys around every corner these days :icon_scratch: , congrats on the excellent finds and great pics also :thumbsup:

Weas,
You got that right. :wink: Have a good one buddy.
-Doug-
 
Darn, Doug. Too bad about the mean old brother! He's set in his ways!! Nothing you can do about that!

I'd say you did very well there. Can you remember the last time you posted 3 silvers and a bunch of wheaties in a day's hunt? ::) :thumbsup:

I've got the same little vintage compact case as you found. It's called Pompeian Bloom Rouge, circa teens/20's.

Congrats on your finds!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 

Attachments

  • PompBloom.webp
    PompBloom.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,698
Sweet finds, Doug! Great pics as usual. Sorry you ran into a bad apple.

HH
 
Go Yankees!!!.......Oh wait, they didn't make the playoff's this year. D*mn those Red Sox :angry4:

Nice finds as usual Doug and an interesting story as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
MM, sounds to me he liked you quite a bit!

He was just sizing you up.

If he didn't like you, he might have given you the courtesy of letting you hear the first one zing by.
(Southerners ARE courteous.)

You shoulda sparred with him a while longer.

...Told him if he had a spare CoCola you'd tell him where the landmines were that you'd found.

He wouldn't have bugged you too long since the brothers OK'd you... he had work to do...

Probably wouldn't have hurt to offer him same share as his brothers were gettin after you found the first million in gold bullion!

Best
rmptr
 
Nice finds. Next time you go there be prepared to tell the old guy some jokes.
 
Nice digs MM. Congrats on a great hunt and all the silver :thumbsup:
 
Nice digs today Doug - too bad about the hospitality, but as Capt said - he's probably set in his ways. I doubt the Obama sticker helped you out either... :thumbsup:
 
Ha!

I'd lose that bumper sticker, for sure!

Unless you were really there for community organizing.

;D
 
Captn_SE said:
Darn, Doug. Too bad about the mean old brother! He's set in his ways!! Nothing you can do about that!

I'd say you did very well there. Can you remember the last time you posted 3 silvers and a bunch of wheaties in a day's hunt? ::) :thumbsup:

I've got the same little vintage compact case as you found. It's called Pompeian Bloom Rouge, circa teens/20's.

Congrats on your finds!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan,
Thanks for the ID on the compact. :thumbsup:
You're right as far as the coins. It's been a looooooong time since I've found so many. That's why I love new spots and particularly around the yard area.
Have a great week,
Doug

rmptr said:
MM, sounds to me he liked you quite a bit!
He was just sizing you up.

If he didn't like you, he might have given you the courtesy of letting you hear the first one zing by.
(Southerners ARE courteous.)
You shoulda sparred with him a while longer.
...Told him if he had a spare CoCola you'd tell him where the landmines were that you'd found.
He wouldn't have bugged you too long since the brothers OK'd you... he had work to do...
Probably wouldn't have hurt to offer him same share as his brothers were gettin after you found the first million in gold bullion!
Best
rmptr

Thanks for the advice rmptr.
I think I'll let this one go though. I dug up a lot of shotgun shell heads in the yard which got me wondering............ :icon_scratch: where these shot at former Yankees? :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:
-MM-

DD-777 said:
Nice digs today Doug - too bad about the hospitality, but as Capt said - he's probably set in his ways. I doubt the Obama sticker helped you out either... :thumbsup:

Thanks DD.
I was just kidding about the Obama sticker. I'm not totally nuts. I think I'll buy me some of those magnetic Confederate flags to put on my truck for the next time I go into that area. ;D :wink: "The redder, the better".
-Doug-

Thanks everyone for your replies.
-MM-
 
Hey! KFB found that same lid in the fourth photo just this Monday!

I don't have a photo of it, but I'm sure KFB could take one and put it up there. The thing had one shard of glass in the back of it still, so we think it was part of an old compact.

Too bad about the Rebels running ya off their land. :D Any chance of going back? Did the guy talk to you enough to take the edge off?


-Buckles
 
I thought everyone had one of these Doug ;D Nice job on the silver......I hope the mean brother lose's his ring one day and call's on you to find it >:( Great fimd's Doug!! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • PA120004.webp
    PA120004.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,485
Great finds MM, very very nice! Keep searching there!
 
Nice hunting !!

When asked if you were done digging holes in his lawn. I would have said.... Ummmmm, :icon_scratch: nope !! ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! :D
 
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Nice hunting !!

When asked if you were done digging holes in his lawn. I would have said.... Ummmmm, :icon_scratch: nope !! ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! :D

Muds,
I was going to tell him I was giving him a FREE aeration service on his lawn, but that may have been a push. :wink:
-Doug-

BuckleBoy said:
Too bad about the Rebels running ya off their land. :D Any chance of going back? Did the guy talk to you enough to take the edge off?-Buckles

BB,
I was a gentleman and actually gave him a gift box , shook his hand, and thanked him. This MAY have taken the edge off I hope. I was hoping to find enough stuff to make a shadowbox for them, but I didn't have time to get enough finds. :-[
I'm not giving up though. I'm going to call the nice brother today that gave me the original permission to see if he could sway his older brother to at least let me detect the fields and pastures. After hearing about a reale being found, an old grist mill by the stream, Indian arrowheads in the field, and seeing those plowed fields, I have to try again.
By the way, all I kept thinking about when this happened was what you told me earlier about not getting my hopes up too high. ;D :wink:
Have a good one buddy. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

tymcmurray said:
Way to go!!!
Surviving insults and new site.
Great finds.

Thanks Ty.
After 26 years of marriage I'm used to insults. :tongue3: ;D :wink:
-Doug-

civilman1 said:
I thought everyone had one of these Doug ;D Nice job on the silver......I hope the mean brother lose's his ring one day and call's on you to find it >:( Great fimd's Doug!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Civ.
I think that "G" ring I found may have been his. It stood for Grinch. :tongue3: :wink:
-Doug-

THANKS EVERYONE!!! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom