What's new

Yankee winds up in wrong county !!! @@

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week I gained permission to MD a new spot. It is a huge farm owned by three brothers ages 65-78. The youngest brother granted me permission, and at the time I thought it was just his place. It had all the makings of a dream come true; 1865 house, other old one bedroom houses, old barns, slave shacks, large plowed fields, a CW soldiers gravesite, and very close to the Bentonville Battlefield. What more could a guy ask for?
Now mind you, this property is in a county where "Yankees" are not too welcome still. :wink:
I got there this morning and met the guy that gave me permission. We shot the breeze a bit and then he left. I thought, "alright, the place is mine with no one to bug me." I started off with a Merc on my 3rd hole. Ya-hoo, a great day for sure I thought. Then another truck pulled up and it was the middle brother who was super cool. He told me years ago his son found "a 1700's silver coin with foreign writing about the size of a dime, but thinner" out in the field. I thought :icon_scratch: hmmmmm, must be a reale. Now I was VERY excited. :o So he left to go plow a field. So my detecting around the yard continued joyously. I dug some keepers including 3 Mercs.
A few hours later the oldest brother shows up, and says "Are you about done digging holes in my yard?" :o This guy must have been the mean brother, as I could tell he didn't want me there. With the other two brothers nowhere to be found, I figured I'd better call it a day. I thanked him for letting me detect on his property. Before I could leave though, he had to tell me a few enlightening things like:
"What's the difference between a Yankee, and a damned Yankee."
Answer: A Yankee is one who comes to the South to visit, but a damned Yankee stays.

Then he tells me he will not carry a $5.00 or $50.00 bill in his wallet ever.
"Why is that", I ask.
"Because they have Yankee presidents on them!!!" he says.

At that point I'm thinking maybe it is this guy who throws all the pennies on the ground because Abe is on them. ;D :icon_scratch:
Maybe it was because I drive a Toyota truck instead of a Ford?
Maybe it was because I have a full set of teeth? :tongue3:
Maybe it was my Obama for President sticker?
Whatever it was, my dream spot came to a quick ending. :(

Pictured is a CW soldiers gravesite out in a field.

Besides my pride, I walked away today with:

*Three Mercs ; 1940 , 1941 , 1944
*Seven Wheats: 1909 , 1927 , 1931 , 1936 , 1944 (x2), 1950
*1974 vaccine tag
*Old bracelet w/silver plating. I thought it was twisted wire at first. ;D
*A beat up copper "G" ring with gold plating.
*Odds & ends.

I'll get em next time. :wink:
Have a great week.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-125S.webp
    MVC-125S.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,826
  • MVC-126S.webp
    MVC-126S.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,793
  • MVC-127S.webp
    MVC-127S.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,788
  • MVC-128S.webp
    MVC-128S.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,766
  • MVC-129S.webp
    MVC-129S.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-130S.webp
    MVC-130S.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-121S.webp
    MVC-121S.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,763
  • MVC-122S.webp
    MVC-122S.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,762
  • MVC-123S.webp
    MVC-123S.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • MVC-124S.webp
    MVC-124S.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,758
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
I think that would be TOO much beauty for the old guy to handle. No way I'm giving him mouth to mouth. :tongue3: :o
Maybe a pair of tight Daisy Duke's? Pink overalls? A nice flannel tied at the waist? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :icon_scratch:
You are sick!!! :wink:
-Doug-

Thread Killer. :tard:

;D ;D ;D
I'm blaming Joe on this one. :tongue3:
I'm dying to get back out in those fields, but can't now for a few weeks. :'( I keep picturing that reale laying in the plowed field. Ahhhhh. :wink:
-Doug-
 
Nice finds Doug! Looks like a beautiful spot.

Glad I wasn't there..the older brother may have found out I was born in N.Y. and powdered my behind ;D

Nat
 
Natman said:
Nice finds Doug! Looks like a beautiful spot.

Glad I wasn't there..the older brother may have found out I was born in N.Y. and powdered my behind ;D

Nat

LMAO!!! Now THAT was funny! ;D ;D ;D
I could ask him if he's into powdering behinds next time I go out there. :tongue3:
-Doug-
 
Those are great finds, congrats!
 
yankes aint bad like the old man said it is the damed yankees that stay and want to build strip malls everywhere and hug trees and love to play with the wild animals like they were house pets and want to cityfy everything and tell us fried chicken aint good for you .thats all i got to say about that

ps. the toyota tundra is a pertty nice truck drove one the other day but can it pull a tandem axle trailer with 6 rows high of fresh cut hay.
 
it could have been the obama sticker as you know us redknecks like our guns
 
olepossum said:
yankes aint bad like the old man said it is the damed yankees that stay and want to build strip malls everywhere and hug trees and love to play with the wild animals like they were house pets and want to cityfy everything and tell us fried chicken aint good for you .thats all i got to say about that

ps. the toyota tundra is a pertty nice truck drove one the other day but can it pull a tandem axle trailer with 6 rows high of fresh cut hay.

And you could put that toy in the bed of a Ford and still drag the trailer.
and twenty years from now, too.

rmptr
 
well taking these mens age into account 75 to 68 you say --civil war over 1865 * so the reb "family" soldier had to be dead by then ( at least according to some its over * ) now its 2008 ---why thats only a mere 143 years in the past ---if take away say 75 years -- thats a mere 68 years after the old man was born -- in otherwards it most likely was the old coots "great granddaddy" that was killed by "yankees" -- humm some body kill yer great granddad bet you be POed too. -- cause that was your daddy's grandpaw and your grandpaws dad --and the old men would have taught you to hate the folks that killed their dad and grandpaw. --yep-- some folks are just that way. --- bet if some group of folks had killed your great granddad --that your grandpaw and dad would have trained you to hate them too. -- its so sad that theres lots left over "hate" from the war still.
 
The older brother must have lived up North at some time and all that Yankee rudeness must have rubbed off on him. Southerners are not that way. We are always polite and courteous. Unless there is a Yankee around. ;D
Dman
 
Colonel Dman said:
The older brother must have lived up North at some time and all that Yankee rudeness must have rubbed off on him. Southerners are not that way. We are always polite and courteous. Unless there is a Yankee around. ;D
Dman

Some of the rudest people I ever met in my life were in western Georgia. Let's try not to put all "Yanks" down... :wink:
 
Being in a war with guys from all parts of the country tends to knock the corners off people. I have buddies all over the place and hope to see them at a Battalion reunion one of these years.

You could have asked the o'nery one if he could name the Division commanders in A.P. Hill's Corps at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg (Heth, Pender, McGowan, Gordon, Hoke, Smith).

Thanks to Captn_SE for i.d.'ing that rouge compact lid thing. I dug one up last trip to the G.A.R. medal site about 5 days ago and didn't know what to make of it. They must've sold them at the Piggly Wiggly (south) and Woolworth's (norf) stores for them to be scattered all over the place like a madwoman's laundry [cleaning up Pop's old phrase].
 
Many people ask me what part of the south I am from, I tell them Southern Michigan, then I ask them why they asked me that? They said that I have one heckuva southern accent ??? Then I got to thinking :wink: I remember back in the late '60's, and all the C.B. Radio craze that was happening, most on the radio were from the south, they migrated here to work in the auto plants. And alot of my friends were from the south, and when you hunt, fish, or talk on the radio with them alot, you tend to pick up their drawl. Heck, one of them told me, that if you want us to understand ya better, that I have to sound like them, I did not have to practice very long, y'all hears me? I would suggest that before you revisit the area, ya practice up on yer speech impediment. BTW, nice finds for such a short hunt. And the worst offenders of the yanks vs. southerner's that my wife and I ever ran into were the National Park Rangers and staff in W.Va.......NGE
 
I should of been there to help you. It would of went well don't you think. :tongue3: ::) Congrats on some neat silver.

Burdie
 
nice finds mm, and a great story - too funny :)

take care

vp
 
Good cop, Good cop, Bad Cop.
Well there is always one bad apple in the bunch.

Well at least you were able to find some silver and other interesting finds.
The pics are inviting and to see the old tombstones with dates on them
would make me want to hunt there.

HMM... This is bad, but you might want to check back in a few years if they are up there in age and the older brother kicks off then you may have another shot at hunting there again.

On the other hand he might live a long time.

Wish you the best on future returns.

Rob
 
DD-777 said:
Colonel Dman said:
The older brother must have lived up North at some time and all that Yankee rudeness must have rubbed off on him. Southerners are not that way. We are always polite and courteous. Unless there is a Yankee around. ;D
Dman

Some of the rudest people I ever met in my life were in western Georgia. Let's try not to put all "Yanks" down... :wink:

Then yah shoulda opened up a can a whoop a$$ on 'em and learned 'em some respect!
They probably weren't too dum to lern!

rmptr
 
hey birdie youre from kansas that makes you a yankee jayhawker your still good people though your ok
 
THANKS EVERYONE for your replies.
I'm currently out in San Francisco on a mini vacation/biz trip with the wife. I can't believe how friendly the guys are to me out here. They didn't seem to enjoy talking about metal detecting until I mentioned that I use a probe. Hmmmmmm ;D :wink: We're staying in a beautiful mid-1800's luxury hotel downtown. All that keeps running through my mind is, "where could I find some old coins in this building." :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
Then I thought about that older brother taking a trip to this town. Man, he would be cursing everyone out in this town!!! ;D :wink:
Looking forward to getting back to NC and doing some detecting next week. I'm sure I've missed out on a lot of great finds. :thumbsup:
I hope you all have a great week.
Off to go get some crabs down by the wharf now. :o
Thanks again,
MM
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom