What's new

Yankee winds up in wrong county !!! @@

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week I gained permission to MD a new spot. It is a huge farm owned by three brothers ages 65-78. The youngest brother granted me permission, and at the time I thought it was just his place. It had all the makings of a dream come true; 1865 house, other old one bedroom houses, old barns, slave shacks, large plowed fields, a CW soldiers gravesite, and very close to the Bentonville Battlefield. What more could a guy ask for?
Now mind you, this property is in a county where "Yankees" are not too welcome still. :wink:
I got there this morning and met the guy that gave me permission. We shot the breeze a bit and then he left. I thought, "alright, the place is mine with no one to bug me." I started off with a Merc on my 3rd hole. Ya-hoo, a great day for sure I thought. Then another truck pulled up and it was the middle brother who was super cool. He told me years ago his son found "a 1700's silver coin with foreign writing about the size of a dime, but thinner" out in the field. I thought :icon_scratch: hmmmmm, must be a reale. Now I was VERY excited. :o So he left to go plow a field. So my detecting around the yard continued joyously. I dug some keepers including 3 Mercs.
A few hours later the oldest brother shows up, and says "Are you about done digging holes in my yard?" :o This guy must have been the mean brother, as I could tell he didn't want me there. With the other two brothers nowhere to be found, I figured I'd better call it a day. I thanked him for letting me detect on his property. Before I could leave though, he had to tell me a few enlightening things like:
"What's the difference between a Yankee, and a damned Yankee."
Answer: A Yankee is one who comes to the South to visit, but a damned Yankee stays.

Then he tells me he will not carry a $5.00 or $50.00 bill in his wallet ever.
"Why is that", I ask.
"Because they have Yankee presidents on them!!!" he says.

At that point I'm thinking maybe it is this guy who throws all the pennies on the ground because Abe is on them. ;D :icon_scratch:
Maybe it was because I drive a Toyota truck instead of a Ford?
Maybe it was because I have a full set of teeth? :tongue3:
Maybe it was my Obama for President sticker?
Whatever it was, my dream spot came to a quick ending. :(

Pictured is a CW soldiers gravesite out in a field.

Besides my pride, I walked away today with:

*Three Mercs ; 1940 , 1941 , 1944
*Seven Wheats: 1909 , 1927 , 1931 , 1936 , 1944 (x2), 1950
*1974 vaccine tag
*Old bracelet w/silver plating. I thought it was twisted wire at first. ;D
*A beat up copper "G" ring with gold plating.
*Odds & ends.

I'll get em next time. :wink:
Have a great week.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-125S.webp
    MVC-125S.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,826
  • MVC-124S.webp
    MVC-124S.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,758
  • MVC-123S.webp
    MVC-123S.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • MVC-122S.webp
    MVC-122S.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,762
  • MVC-121S.webp
    MVC-121S.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,763
  • MVC-130S.webp
    MVC-130S.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-129S.webp
    MVC-129S.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-128S.webp
    MVC-128S.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,766
  • MVC-127S.webp
    MVC-127S.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,788
  • MVC-126S.webp
    MVC-126S.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,793
Upvote 0
Nice post and finds MM! And thanks for the Halloween warm up, LOL. HH, Mike
 
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice post and finds MM! And thanks for the Halloween warm up, LOL. HH, Mike

Thanks Mike. ;D :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 
say god bless jeff davis * ;D --and keep on digging ---its 2 nice guys :icon_king: :icon_king: to 1 jerk :icon_jokercolor: --you got him out voted.
 
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
Too bad about the Rebels running ya off their land.   :D  Any chance of going back?  Did the guy talk to you enough to take the edge off?-Buckles

BB,
I was a gentleman and actually gave him a gift box , shook his hand, and thanked him. This MAY have taken the edge off I hope. I was hoping to find enough stuff to make a shadowbox for them, but I didn't have time to get enough finds.  :-[
I'm not giving up though. I'm going to call the nice brother today that gave me the original permission to see if he could sway his older brother to at least let me detect the fields and pastures. After hearing about a reale being found, an old grist mill by the stream, Indian arrowheads in the field, and seeing those plowed fields, I have to try again.
By the way, all I kept thinking about when this happened was what you told me earlier about not getting my hopes up too high.  ;D :wink:
Have a good one buddy.  :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Doug,

You've stumbled on the reason why I Always MD the farther-away areas first.  Many cases, property owners have several sites on their land.  I go for the spots farthest away from their yards first.  Then after repeated trips I have built up rapport with them, and I might ask about their yard--explaining what size digging tool I use for yards!

I don't ever want to screw myself out of a site--and I'd urge you to consider this approach too.


Now I wish I'd brought it up in our PM conversations earlier.   :-\


But I think it's good advice for everyone.  The big thing is 1.  Get permission and get on the spot  and 2.  Make return trips and establish yourself as Friendly, Polite, Considerate, and a Good Person.


Then you can ask an owner just about anything.


(And of course, family disputes over folks being on land can be quite hairy--just ask KFB about the man whose brother (the Owner of said property!) had given permission for us to detect the yard.  Then this guy whom we've dubbed "Lopping Shears Guy"--and had never even SEEN before comes out of a house next door yelling and telling us to "Get the HELL off" the property.   He came at KFB with a pair of shears while KFB was digging a plug in the grass!   :o  I didn't know whether to tackle him or let KFB take a beating!  We explained the situation to the guy, and then knocked on the door again and explained the situation to the brother who'd given us permission--and he said that the other dude was crazy...  Then later on, the nice brother that had given us permission in the first place came out and asked us to leave.  "Causing too much trouble in the family" he said.  So we left.)   :-\



Regards,


Buck
 
:o Dug!
Please tell me you defended yourself by letting him know the other 2 brothers gave permission. I'm sorry you had that experience.
I know how it feels though cause every day at work I get picked on for having a southern accent. Its reversed on me though cause I'm the southerner getting picked on by the northerners that are down here. :'(
So glad you found some great stuff though! and it is some cool stuff...congrats! :thumbsup:
I hope you get in contact with the nice brothers and still get to detect there again.
See ya at work!
 
Cool Digs :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need someone with a womper coil to help you find those LC`s :icon_pirat:

Hopefully the owners will smooth out
 
BuckleBoy said:
ModernMiner said:
BuckleBoy said:
Too bad about the Rebels running ya off their land. :D Any chance of going back? Did the guy talk to you enough to take the edge off?-Buckles

BB,
I was a gentleman and actually gave him a gift box , shook his hand, and thanked him. This MAY have taken the edge off I hope. I was hoping to find enough stuff to make a shadowbox for them, but I didn't have time to get enough finds. :-[
I'm not giving up though. I'm going to call the nice brother today that gave me the original permission to see if he could sway his older brother to at least let me detect the fields and pastures. After hearing about a reale being found, an old grist mill by the stream, Indian arrowheads in the field, and seeing those plowed fields, I have to try again.
By the way, all I kept thinking about when this happened was what you told me earlier about not getting my hopes up too high. ;D :wink:
Have a good one buddy. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Doug,

You've stumbled on the reason why I Always MD the farther-away areas first. Many cases, property owners have several sites on their land. I go for the spots farthest away from their yards first. Then after repeated trips I have built up rapport with them, and I might ask about their yard--explaining what size digging tool I use for yards!
I don't ever want to screw myself out of a site--and I'd urge you to consider this approach too.
Now I wish I'd brought it up in our PM conversations earlier. :-\

But I think it's good advice for everyone. The big thing is 1. Get permission and get on the spot and 2. Make return trips and establish yourself as Friendly, Polite, Considerate, and a Good Person.

Then you can ask an owner just about anything.

(And of course, family disputes over folks being on land can be quite hairy--just ask KFB about the man whose brother (the Owner of said property!) had given permission for us to detect the yard. Then this guy whom we've dubbed "Lopping Shears Guy"--and had never even SEEN before comes out of a house next door yelling and telling us to "Get the HELL off" the property. He came at KFB with a pair of shears while KFB was digging a plug in the grass! :o I didn't know whether to tackle him or let KFB take a beating! We explained the situation to the guy, and then knocked on the door again and explained the situation to the brother who'd given us permission--and he said that the other dude was crazy... Then later on, the nice brother that had given us permission in the first place came out and asked us to leave. "Causing too much trouble in the family" he said. So we left.) :-\

Regards,
Buck

LMAO!!! ;D Now that was a funny story about you guys. ;D ;D ;D
Well, I didn't get attacked by shears, steers, or queers this time at least. :wink:

That's great advice though BB, starting out and working in until you earn their respect.
I called today and talked to the nice brother. He thanked me for the gift. I told him I wasn't aware that the older brother didn't want me digging in the yard, and no one had mentioned not to. Anyways, I asked if I could come back & just detect in the fields and he said that would be fine. I told he to let the other brother know so I don't run into trouble (or buckshot) next time I come out. I'll call him before I go next time, and park over on one of the field paths. It's safer that way, as I think I can outrun a 78 year old man. At least I hope so. :wink: :tongue3:
Next time I go there I'll play this for him:

-Doug-
 
DebbzInNC said:
:o Dug!
Please tell me you defended yourself by letting him know the other 2 brothers gave permission. I'm sorry you had that experience.
I know how it feels though cause every day at work I get picked on for having a southern accent. Its reversed on me though cause I'm the southerner getting picked on by the northerners that are down here. :'(
So glad you found some great stuff though! and it is some cool stuff...congrats! :thumbsup:
I hope you get in contact with the nice brothers and still get to detect there again.
See ya at work!

Deb,
Of course I defended myself. You know my humor. I hit him with every redneck joke I could think of, but his cane still hurt like H-LL!!!. :tongue3: ;D
See ya at work,
Doug

B|lker said:
Cool Digs :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need someone with a womper coil to help you find those LC`s :icon_pi
Hopefully the owners will smooth out

I may need a large coil to keep the older brother away from me. :tongue3:
Hopefully he'll cool down and won't have an issue with me out in the fields.
-Doug-
 
ModernMiner said:
So last week I gained permission to MD a new spot. It is a huge farm owned by three brothers ages 65-78. The youngest brother granted me permission, and at the time I thought it was just his place. It had all the makings of a dream come true; 1865 house, other old one bedroom houses, old barns, slave shacks, large plowed fields, a CW soldiers gravesite, and very close to the Bentonville Battlefield. What more could a guy ask for?
Now mind you, this property is in a county where "Yankees" are not too welcome still. :wink:
I got there this morning and met the guy that gave me permission. We shot the breeze a bit and then he left. I thought, "alright, the place is mine with no one to bug me." I started off with a Merc on my 3rd hole. Ya-hoo, a great day for sure I thought. Then another truck pulled up and it was the middle brother who was super cool. He told me years ago his son found "a 1700's silver coin with foreign writing about the size of a dime, but thinner" out in the field. I thought :icon_scratch: hmmmmm, must be a reale. Now I was VERY excited. :o So he left to go plow a field. So my detecting around the yard continued joyously. I dug some keepers including 3 Mercs.
A few hours later the oldest brother shows up, and says "Are you about done digging holes in my yard?" :o This guy must have been the mean brother, as I could tell he didn't want me there. With the other two brothers nowhere to be found, I figured I'd better call it a day. I thanked him for letting me detect on his property. Before I could leave though, he had to tell me a few enlightening things like:
"What's the difference between a Yankee, and a damned Yankee."
Answer: A Yankee is one who comes to the South to visit, but a damned Yankee stays.

Then he tells me he will not carry a $5.00 or $50.00 bill in his wallet ever.
"Why is that", I ask.
"Because they have Yankee presidents on them!!!" he says.

At that point I'm thinking maybe it is this guy who throws all the pennies on the ground because Abe is on them. ;D :icon_scratch:
Maybe it was because I drive a Toyota truck instead of a Ford?
Maybe it was because I have a full set of teeth? :tongue3:
Maybe it was my Obama for President sticker?
Whatever it was, my dream spot came to a quick ending. :(

Pictured is a CW soldiers gravesite out in a field.

Besides my pride, I walked away today with:

*Three Mercs ; 1940 , 1941 , 1944
*Seven Wheats: 1909 , 1927 , 1931 , 1936 , 1944 (x2), 1950
*1974 vaccine tag
*Old bracelet w/silver plating. I thought it was twisted wire at first. ;D
*A beat up copper "G" ring with gold plating.
*Odds & ends.

I'll get em next time. :wink:
Have a great week.
-MM-

MM, I'm sorry to hear about the spot. It sounded like a TRULY awesome site :-\ Sorry to hear that the oldest brother treated you like that. As a staunch Southerner I feel embarassed when others project a bad image of what people are like down South. We definitely don't treat others like that where I'm from in Georgia or here in Virginia... I guess you have those type everywhere and you happened to run into one of them....Let me say that I LOVE PA but I ran into a couple in Pennsylvania when I visited a couple years ago...
Can't say I can defend the Obama sticker ;D ;D :wink: but than again, I don't like either guy thats runnin :wink:

P.S. Maybe you can get back there one day since you did get permission from the other brother as well
 
{Sentinel} said:
ModernMiner said:
So last week I gained permission to MD a new spot. It is a huge farm owned by three brothers ages 65-78. The youngest brother granted me permission, and at the time I thought it was just his place. It had all the makings of a dream come true; 1865 house, other old one bedroom houses, old barns, slave shacks, large plowed fields, a CW soldiers gravesite, and very close to the Bentonville Battlefield. What more could a guy ask for?
Now mind you, this property is in a county where "Yankees" are not too welcome still. :wink:
I got there this morning and met the guy that gave me permission. We shot the breeze a bit and then he left. I thought, "alright, the place is mine with no one to bug me." I started off with a Merc on my 3rd hole. Ya-hoo, a great day for sure I thought. Then another truck pulled up and it was the middle brother who was super cool. He told me years ago his son found "a 1700's silver coin with foreign writing about the size of a dime, but thinner" out in the field. I thought :icon_scratch: hmmmmm, must be a reale. Now I was VERY excited. :o So he left to go plow a field. So my detecting around the yard continued joyously. I dug some keepers including 3 Mercs.
A few hours later the oldest brother shows up, and says "Are you about done digging holes in my yard?" :o This guy must have been the mean brother, as I could tell he didn't want me there. With the other two brothers nowhere to be found, I figured I'd better call it a day. I thanked him for letting me detect on his property. Before I could leave though, he had to tell me a few enlightening things like:
"What's the difference between a Yankee, and a damned Yankee."
Answer: A Yankee is one who comes to the South to visit, but a damned Yankee stays.

Then he tells me he will not carry a $5.00 or $50.00 bill in his wallet ever.
"Why is that", I ask.
"Because they have Yankee presidents on them!!!" he says.

At that point I'm thinking maybe it is this guy who throws all the pennies on the ground because Abe is on them. ;D :icon_scratch:
Maybe it was because I drive a Toyota truck instead of a Ford?
Maybe it was because I have a full set of teeth? :tongue3:
Maybe it was my Obama for President sticker?
Whatever it was, my dream spot came to a quick ending. :(

Pictured is a CW soldiers gravesite out in a field.

Besides my pride, I walked away today with:

*Three Mercs ; 1940 , 1941 , 1944
*Seven Wheats: 1909 , 1927 , 1931 , 1936 , 1944 (x2), 1950
*1974 vaccine tag
*Old bracelet w/silver plating. I thought it was twisted wire at first. ;D
*A beat up copper "G" ring with gold plating.
*Odds & ends.

I'll get em next time. :wink:
Have a great week.
-MM-

MM, I'm sorry to hear about the spot. It sounded like a TRULY awesome site :-\ Sorry to hear that the oldest brother treated you like that. As a staunch Southerner I feel embarassed when others project a bad image of what people are like down South. We definitely don't treat others like that where I'm from in Georgia or here in Virginia... I guess you have those type everywhere and you happened to run into one of them....Let me say that I LOVE PA but I ran into a couple in Pennsylvania when I visited a couple years ago...
Can't say I can defend the Obama sticker ;D ;D :wink: but than again, I don't like either guy thats runnin :wink:

P.S. Maybe you can get back there one day since you did get permission from the other brother as well

Josh,
I think it was just a "lawn thing" more than a Yankee thing really. I just wished someone would have mentioned the lawn was off limits BEFORE I started digging. :wink: Heck, the two brothers saw me digging in the yard and said nothing. ??? No big deal, I know older folks are set in their ways and can be a bit gruff at times. I was kind and stayed there to listen to his health issues too before I left. :wink:
I think I'm o.k. for future hunts in the fields and pastures which is fine with me. :thumbsup:
I've run into some very rude Yankees too in the past. There's good & bad of both out there.
Next time I'll just mention I'm a BIG fan of Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy, and I eat Skoal for breakfast. :tongue3:
-Doug-
 
Haha, seems someone needs to get with the times! I suppose that man is too old and set in his ways. I know some old timers that still refer to black people as "colored people". Today, that term would be considered offensive, but try telling that to a 90-year old man.

If he keeps up with the Yankee jokes, ask him (out of sheer curiosity) if his home has more miles than his truck. lol. jk.

Obama 09!!!!!

Joe (fed up with Fords and now drives a quality Honda!)
 
twistidd said:
Haha, seems someone needs to get with the times! I suppose that man is too old and set in his ways. I know some old timers that still refer to black people as "colored people". Today, that term would be considered offensive, but try telling that to a 90-year old man.

If he keeps up with the Yankee jokes, ask him (out of sheer curiosity) if his home has more miles than his truck. lol. jk.

Obama 09!!!!!

Joe (fed up with Fords and now drives a quality Honda!)

LMAO!!!!
Joe,
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 
ModernMiner said:
.... No big deal, I know older folks are set in their ways and can be a bit gruff at times. I was kind and stayed there to listen to his health issues too before I left. :wink:
I think I'm o.k. for future hunts in the fields and pastures which is fine with me. :thumbsup:
I've run into some very rude Yankees too in the past. There's good & bad of both out there.
Next time I'll just mention I'm a BIG fan of Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy, and I eat Skoal for breakfast. :tongue3:
-Doug-

Now wait just a minute there, sonny.
 
rwsnc said:
ModernMiner said:
.... No big deal, I know older folks are set in their ways and can be a bit gruff at times. I was kind and stayed there to listen to his health issues too before I left. :wink:
I think I'm o.k. for future hunts in the fields and pastures which is fine with me. :thumbsup:
I've run into some very rude Yankees too in the past. There's good & bad of both out there.
Next time I'll just mention I'm a BIG fan of Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy, and I eat Skoal for breakfast. :tongue3:
-Doug-

Now wait just a minute there, sonny.

Sorry Bob. I thought it was past your bedtime when I posted that. :wink:
-Doug-
The YOUNG whipper-snapper
 
DD-777 said:
Drive up in one of these next time - probably be alright then... :D

This was more what I was thinking about driving up on. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 

Attachments

  • Southern Mercedes.webp
    Southern Mercedes.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,152
I was thinkin' one of these:
 

Attachments

  • Git-R-Done!.webp
    Git-R-Done!.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,128
I have to say that was an interesting story, nice finds though. Hopefully when you get back and search those fields you wield just as much and more. Maybe over time this old timer will loosen up with ya and let ya search the yard where you started. Good luck out there. It's not the 70 year old man your gonna have to outrun it's his 6 little friends that comes out of the end of a barrel.

I have gotten plenty of those yankee jokes down here is SC since i'm from IL and they all call me a damn yankee here since I moved here. Although I'm getting ready to move back to IL.
 
Mobes said:
I have to say that was an interesting story, nice finds though. Hopefully when you get back and search those fields you wield just as much and more. Maybe over time this old timer will loosen up with ya and let ya search the yard where you started. Good luck out there. It's not the 70 year old man your gonna have to outrun it's his 6 little friends that comes out of the end of a barrel.

I have gotten plenty of those yankee jokes down here is SC since i'm from IL and they all call me a damn yankee here since I moved here. Although I'm getting ready to move back to IL.

Thanks Mobes.
You must be missing the snow? ;D I'm a Hoosier myself. :thumbsup:
-MM-
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom