What's new

Yankee winds up in wrong county !!! @@

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week I gained permission to MD a new spot. It is a huge farm owned by three brothers ages 65-78. The youngest brother granted me permission, and at the time I thought it was just his place. It had all the makings of a dream come true; 1865 house, other old one bedroom houses, old barns, slave shacks, large plowed fields, a CW soldiers gravesite, and very close to the Bentonville Battlefield. What more could a guy ask for?
Now mind you, this property is in a county where "Yankees" are not too welcome still. :wink:
I got there this morning and met the guy that gave me permission. We shot the breeze a bit and then he left. I thought, "alright, the place is mine with no one to bug me." I started off with a Merc on my 3rd hole. Ya-hoo, a great day for sure I thought. Then another truck pulled up and it was the middle brother who was super cool. He told me years ago his son found "a 1700's silver coin with foreign writing about the size of a dime, but thinner" out in the field. I thought :icon_scratch: hmmmmm, must be a reale. Now I was VERY excited. :o So he left to go plow a field. So my detecting around the yard continued joyously. I dug some keepers including 3 Mercs.
A few hours later the oldest brother shows up, and says "Are you about done digging holes in my yard?" :o This guy must have been the mean brother, as I could tell he didn't want me there. With the other two brothers nowhere to be found, I figured I'd better call it a day. I thanked him for letting me detect on his property. Before I could leave though, he had to tell me a few enlightening things like:
"What's the difference between a Yankee, and a damned Yankee."
Answer: A Yankee is one who comes to the South to visit, but a damned Yankee stays.

Then he tells me he will not carry a $5.00 or $50.00 bill in his wallet ever.
"Why is that", I ask.
"Because they have Yankee presidents on them!!!" he says.

At that point I'm thinking maybe it is this guy who throws all the pennies on the ground because Abe is on them. ;D :icon_scratch:
Maybe it was because I drive a Toyota truck instead of a Ford?
Maybe it was because I have a full set of teeth? :tongue3:
Maybe it was my Obama for President sticker?
Whatever it was, my dream spot came to a quick ending. :(

Pictured is a CW soldiers gravesite out in a field.

Besides my pride, I walked away today with:

*Three Mercs ; 1940 , 1941 , 1944
*Seven Wheats: 1909 , 1927 , 1931 , 1936 , 1944 (x2), 1950
*1974 vaccine tag
*Old bracelet w/silver plating. I thought it was twisted wire at first. ;D
*A beat up copper "G" ring with gold plating.
*Odds & ends.

I'll get em next time. :wink:
Have a great week.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-125S.webp
    MVC-125S.webp
    25 KB · Views: 1,826
  • MVC-124S.webp
    MVC-124S.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,758
  • MVC-123S.webp
    MVC-123S.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • MVC-122S.webp
    MVC-122S.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,762
  • MVC-121S.webp
    MVC-121S.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,763
  • MVC-130S.webp
    MVC-130S.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-129S.webp
    MVC-129S.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • MVC-128S.webp
    MVC-128S.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,766
  • MVC-127S.webp
    MVC-127S.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,788
  • MVC-126S.webp
    MVC-126S.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,793
Upvote 0
Hi Miner,good story,and great finds in a short time.To bad you had to leave. Better luck next time! Pannonian
 
just bring him a jug o sweet tea to sweeten his mood -- or a jug o shine :tard: :thumbsup:
 
well now good news ---- at 78 he is the oldest of the three ( and past the adverage "normal"life span) -- with his poor additude he most likely got high blood presssure (its a fact being a "lousy" rotten old cuss is bad for yer health --they tend to die younger as a rule) so odds are better than 2 to 1 he'll kick the bucket" first * before his younger good brothers do-- worse comes to worse just bide yer time and wait out the mean ole cuss. :tongue3: (remember in the end the buzzards always win not by being smart or strong or fierce but by just waiting and letting time do its thing)
 
I am sure I could be mistaken for a Yankee, as I have no Southern accent, however, I was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and my Dad and 3 generations before him were born in Southern Arkansas. So I can still lay claim to being a Southerner lol. ;D
 
PANNONIAN said:
Hi Miner,good story,and great finds in a short time.To bad you had to leave. Better luck next time! Pannonian

Thanks Pan.
I'm not giving up yet. I'll let him cool down a bit first. :wink:
-MM-

dex378 said:
Yankees..... lol...... you should have informed him the war was over.

Dex,
I'm glad I didn't bring my CW collection of bullets to shows him or all h-ll would have broke loose. :tongue3:
-MM-

ivan salis said:
well now good news ---- at 78 he is the oldest of the three ( and past the adverage "normal"life span) -- with his poor additude he most likely got high blood presssure (its a fact being a "lousy" rotten old cuss is bad for yer health --they tend to die younger as a rule) so odds are better than 2 to 1 he'll kick the bucket" first * before his younger good brothers do-- worse comes to worse just bide yer time and wait out the mean ole cuss. :tongue3: (remember in the end the buzzards always win not by being smart or strong or fierce but by just waiting and letting time do its thing)

Ivan,
It's so funny you mentioned that. You may have hit the nail on the head. After I gave him the gift and thanked him, I had to stand there for 20 minutes listening to the story of the two operations he's had to put stents in. Again, I respected my elders and listened. :-\
When I first saw the guy, I thought it was the other brothers DAD! :tongue3:
-MM-

MalteseFalcon said:
I am sure I could be mistaken for a Yankee, as I have no Southern accent, however, I was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and my Dad and 3 generations before him were born in Southern Arkansas. So I can still lay claim to being a Southerner lol. ;D

Maltese,
I could use you help on getting permission to some of these properties. You could be a dual-agent. :thumbsup: ;D
My daughter was born in Calif, but we moved to NC when she was a baby. She has picked up the "ya'll" slang from her teachers. ;D
"Ya'll come back now, ya hear." :tongue3:
-MM-
 
Hoosier, the Obama sticker......the other sticker below
assgrassorgas.gif


Dude you were a sitting duck..............I bet he turned around after he drove by you.....just to razz ya...haha!

good finds though......don't let your hobby make you end up like "Deliverance".....
 
jorge del norte said:
Hoosier, the Obama sticker......the other sticker below
assgrassorgas.gif


Dude you were a sitting duck..............I bet he turned around after he drove by you.....just to razz ya...haha!

good finds though......don't let your hobby make you end up like "Deliverance".....

No problem there, I bought a box of corks and insert one before I head out into any secluded spots. :o
That was one of the first metal detecting rules I learned , " be sure to cover up your holes". :tongue3: :wink:

Funny you mentioned Deliverance. That was just on TV last night, and it ruined the rump roast dinner my wife was cooking. :-[ :'(
-MM-
 
Doug...Did the brothers look something alike and did you see them together all at once or one at a time. The reason I am asking is it seems like something I saw a long time ago in a movie and the plot of the story was the brothers actually turned out to be one dude who had multiple personality disorder. I know man....I watch too many movies. :wink: ;D
Chris
 
hey gang,
Well, you could try to impress him ( and call him on his own history ) by talking about particular Civil War battles and just how GREAT some of the southern generals really were. Then talk about how bad it must have been when all the " carpetbaggers " came down and went crazy ( tell him you can relate cause you have been ripped off MANY times by crappy salespeople ). Basically let him know that you are sympathetic to his feelings. I lived in Georgia for awhile and got the same attitude, but I called them on it REAL QUICK. I simply told them " I hear you, however my great grandfather came to the States in 1890 and we were not part of ANYTHING that went down before we got here, we were just poor Irish/Russian immigrants trying to survive ". This got them to clam up pretty quick, I always said though that it must have been real tuff for your families ( be a little sympathetic ) and then it's all good...

PLL
 
(And of course, family disputes over folks being on land can be quite hairy--just ask KFB about the man whose brother (the Owner of said property!) had given permission for us to detect the yard. Then this guy whom we've dubbed "Lopping Shears Guy"--and had never even SEEN before comes out of a house next door yelling and telling us to "Get the HELL off" the property. He came at KFB with a pair of shears while KFB was digging a plug in the grass! :o I didn't know whether to tackle him or let KFB take a beating! We explained the situation to the guy, and then knocked on the door again and explained the situation to the brother who'd given us permission--and he said that the other dude was crazy... Then later on, the nice brother that had given us permission in the first place came out and asked us to leave. "Causing too much trouble in the family" he said. So we left.) :-\



Regards,


Buck
[/quote]

The last chapter hasnot been wrote in that book. Me and him will meetagain someday very soon!

KFB
 
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Doug...Did the brothers look something alike and did you see them together all at once or one at a time. The reason I am asking is it seems like something I saw a long time ago in a movie and the plot of the story was the brothers actually turned out to be one dude who had multiple personality disorder. I know man....I watch too many movies. :wink: ;D
Chris

Hell, I had an Old Fart try and pull one today on me while I was getting permission!

I found out that the guy who owned a property was an old man who lived around the corner from his two children (who lived right by the corn field I want to detect). 

When I pulled in the drive, there was an older man, and a younger man there.  I asked for the owner (whose name was Vernon).  The old man said "Vernon ain't here--he just walked away over that hill there to his truck.  What do you want?"  I introduced myself and explained why I was there.  Then the old man listened and said "Are you sure he owns that property?"  I said "I think so.  That's what the neighbor, Mr. John Doe told me."  The old man said "So you just 'think' he owns it, do ya?"  At this point I was getting a little pyssed off with being toyed with.   Wondering if I didn't do such a good job of covering up the "city" in me.  I almost said "Well Hell, I didn't see his name wrote on it!"  >:(

So then the guy says "My son and daughter live in the house right beside that field.  I reckon you'd better ask them.  I can't tell you yes or no on that." 


:o


Seems like Old Mr. Vernon pretended to be someone else, just to run me around!  I'd imagine the scenario will be this:  I knock on the son and daughter's door (I already know it will be hard to catch them at home).  Then they will tell me that their daddy, Vernon, owns the field--and that I should ask him.  And whenever I drive back to Daddy's house, Vernon will be suspiciously "out," but some Old Fart by another name will always be lurking suspiciously around.   >:(


Well...I'll go through the hoops.  For now.  I've jumped through worse.  But as an honest person, I don't take kindly to folks who Lie to me.

For sure, I will NOT be "showing all" after my hunt there...




-Buckles
 
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Doug...Did the brothers look something alike and did you see them together all at once or one at a time. The reason I am asking is it seems like something I saw a long time ago in a movie and the plot of the story was the brothers actually turned out to be one dude who had multiple personality disorder. I know man....I watch too many movies. :wink: ;D
Chris

Chris,
Funny you should say that. The two nice younger brothers did look a lot alike and I never saw them together. They both drove different colored Ford trucks though. You could be on to something here. :icon_scratch: I just wanted to make sure there were no fresh burials out in that cemetery with a "Damn Yankee" headstone. :o :wink:
-Doug-

pegleglooker said:
hey gang,
Well, you could try to impress him ( and call him on his own history ) by talking about particular Civil War battles and just how GREAT some of the southern generals really were. Then talk about how bad it must have been when all the " carpetbaggers " came down and went crazy ( tell him you can relate cause you have been ripped off MANY times by crappy salespeople ). Basically let him know that you are sympathetic to his feelings. I lived in Georgia for awhile and got the same attitude, but I called them on it REAL QUICK. I simply told them " I hear you, however my great grandfather came to the States in 1890 and we were not part of ANYTHING that went down before we got here, we were just poor Irish/Russian immigrants trying to survive ". This got them to clam up pretty quick, I always said though that it must have been real tuff for your families ( be a little sympathetic ) and then it's all good...
PLL

Good strategy Pegleg. Maybe I'll try that approach if I can get close enough to him again. That beats my idea of giving him an Abe Lincoln statue. :tongue3:
-MM-
 
kindafoundabuckle said:
(And of course, family disputes over folks being on land can be quite hairy--just ask KFB about the man whose brother (the Owner of said property!) had given permission for us to detect the yard. Then this guy whom we've dubbed "Lopping Shears Guy"--and had never even SEEN before comes out of a house next door yelling and telling us to "Get the HELL off" the property. He came at KFB with a pair of shears while KFB was digging a plug in the grass! :o I didn't know whether to tackle him or let KFB take a beating! We explained the situation to the guy, and then knocked on the door again and explained the situation to the brother who'd given us permission--and he said that the other dude was crazy... Then later on, the nice brother that had given us permission in the first place came out and asked us to leave. "Causing too much trouble in the family" he said. So we left.) :-\
Regards,
Buck

The last chapter hasnot been wrote in that book. Me and him will meetagain someday very soon!

KFB
[/quote]

I about lost it when I heard that story. I can just picture that happening. :sign10: :sign10: :sign10:
:thumbsup:
-Doug-
 

Attachments

  • KFB\'s buddy.webp
    KFB\'s buddy.webp
    3.8 KB · Views: 842
BuckleBoy said:
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Doug...Did the brothers look something alike and did you see them together all at once or one at a time. The reason I am asking is it seems like something I saw a long time ago in a movie and the plot of the story was the brothers actually turned out to be one dude who had multiple personality disorder. I know man....I watch too many movies. :wink: ;D
Chris

Hell, I had an Old Fart try and pull one today on me while I was getting permission!
I found out that the guy who owned a property was an old man who lived around the corner from his two children (who lived right by the corn field I want to detect).
When I pulled in the drive, there was an older man, and a younger man there. I asked for the owner (whose name was Vernon). The old man said "Vernon ain't here--he just walked away over that hill there to his truck. What do you want?" I introduced myself and explained why I was there. Then the old man listened and said "Are you sure he owns that property?" I said "I think so. That's what the neighbor, Mr. John Doe told me." The old man said "So you just 'think' he owns it, do ya?" At this point I was getting a little pyssed off with being toyed with. Wondering if I didn't do such a good job of covering up the "city" in me. I almost said "Well Hell, I didn't see his name wrote on it!" >:(

So then the guy says "My son and daughter live in the house right beside that field. I reckon you'd better ask them. I can't tell you yes or no on that."
:o
Seems like Old Mr. Vernon pretended to be someone else, just to run me around! I'd imagine the scenario will be this: I knock on the son and daughter's door (I already know it will be hard to catch them at home). Then they will tell me that their daddy, Vernon, owns the field--and that I should ask him. And whenever I drive back to Daddy's house, Vernon will be suspiciously "out," but some Old Fart by another name will always be lurking suspiciously around. >:(

Well...I'll go through the hoops. For now. I've jumped through worse. But as an honest person, I don't take kindly to folks who Lie to me.
For sure, I will NOT be "showing all" after my hunt there...
-Buckles

BB,
Sounds like Chris may be on to something. ;D At least you ran into Vern, and not Pete and Repeat. :tongue3: ;D
Your scenario sounds about right I'm afraid to say. Good luck buddy. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 

Attachments

  • Vern.webp
    Vern.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 804
rtde3 said:
This has been one funny thread to catch up on! ;D Congrats on the nice finds before you got run off! All of my people are from Mississippi & I know how some of the older folks can be real set in the ways of the past. It's in their blood. But I have to say Southerns are the best people on earth! Next time take Nana with you! ;D :D

Hey Doug, was the CW soldier related to them?

Thanks rtde.
I think it's just the older folks that are tough to win over at times. They act like you're going to find gold or oil on their property. ;D
I wonder if I can get a life-sized cutout of Nana to take with me next time? :icon_scratch:
-Doug-
 
Doug,
Next time go back wearing your dress. He will invite you eat dinner with him. :thumbsup:
LOL
Joe
 
TN-Joe said:
Doug,
Next time go back wearing your dress. He will invite you eat dinner with him. :thumbsup:
LOL
Joe

;D ;D ;D
Joe,
I think that would be TOO much beauty for the old guy to handle. No way I'm giving him mouth to mouth. :tongue3: :o
Maybe a pair of tight Daisy Duke's? Pink overalls? A nice flannel tied at the waist? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :icon_scratch:
You are sick!!! :wink:
-Doug-
 
ModernMiner said:
I think that would be TOO much beauty for the old guy to handle. No way I'm giving him mouth to mouth. :tongue3: :o
Maybe a pair of tight Daisy Duke's? Pink overalls? A nice flannel tied at the waist? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. :icon_scratch:
You are sick!!! :wink:
-Doug-

Thread Killer. :tard:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom