Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured that a Hunting and Fishing Thread would be appropriate for this time of year. Please feel free to post up some stories and pictures of previous hunting and fishing adventures.

I'll Start with this nice Walleye that had to be kept due to it swallowing the hook. That night we (Wasaya and I) slayed them and came home with a nice stringer full of 3 perfect 15 to 17 inch fish and this biggie for the frying pan. Yes, the hound loves to eat fish as well. So there's the first little story and I'll add some more as time goes on and please feel free to do the same.

WHatever & everything 252.jpg

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago on one of the worst days ever hunting. It was so darn warm out this day, the deer were just not moving! Called my father on the radio and told him Ill try to make to 4PM. Around three this boy walks up to me at 80 yards, drops his head and whips it up and looks at me through the scope! I was dumb-founded! How could he pick me out so fast!?!? The stories of deer like this are true, they don't get this big by being stupid!

Turns out it was the sixth largest buck on record for the year 2011. Gross was 166 5/8, under B&C scoring 158 2/8. It ranks 186th since records were kept in the state of Pennsylvania. Mind you, I am not a trophy hunter. I just got lucky, never saw this deer during archery season. Hell, for the first time EVER, I did not see s deer during 2011 archery season! My father who is 73 this year always had a saying, YOU NEVER KNOW. Those three words mean more to me now than they ever did! I gave the buck the name, YNK buck after my fathers saying.

a1be7287-5d0e-4d3e-8116-be605eeda3ab.jpg

100_0053.jpg

At home.
Home2.jpg

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, thank you! I didn't expound the other day on another thread, when I spoke of all the coons and possums I relocated.
There were over 60 something mice, well...... they WERE relocated, LOL! We were SO over-run because of my neighbor, I just wasn't up to the "friendly traps" for them, LOL! If you know what I mean...... LOL! I just didn't feel it would be proper, to go in to detail on it. I'm sure you is following me, and thanks again!

Oh, I spy lotsa good nom nom nom here! LOL! :laughing7:
Oh, I showed the pic of your dog, sniffing that fishes but, to my friend overseas! LOL!
We goofed for almost a half hour over that! LOL!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice fish there jammie bud

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With sunrise on Saturday, the second portion od the waterfowl season opens, running to Dec, 20. The first week was the most productive in the last 15 years, and the freezer now has something in it. Making some venison breakfast sausage for the 4:00 am breakfast....if I don't eat it first. let you all know how it goes.

NICE DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!.......best of luck to everyone , have a safe and successful season.

Great idea, this thread, thanks Chris........Gary

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
LifeNRA, That's a great buck, the kind everyone dreams about. I killed a little SW Oregon black tail today, and now I'm embarrassed to post a picture after seeing yours. The meat processors scale topped out at 80 pounds of carcass, no hide or head, which is a respectable buck locally.
Almost a month ago I had surgery on my lower back, they repaired a couple of herniated disc's, and although I don't have any pain now, it's almost impossible to walk in the woods or on punched up pasture. If I hadn't of had a friend along, I would have needed to camp along side the animal until he was eaten up. But the two of us got him loaded. Luckily we were able to drive almost to the animal so he wasn't all that hard to drag out and load, and a couple of old coots scored again. Here is my embarrassing picture.

2013buck4.jpg

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosnMate, never be ashamed of what you take!!! I am no trophy hunter, never claimed to be, never will. The following year I shot a little seven pointer! From what I seen in blacktails that's a great buck! My father has shown me to enjoy the day not the kill. ;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had time to do any fishing lately but the stone crabs are tasting good down here!

stone crab.jpg stone crab 1.jpg

Unless you count the snook that my wife's son caught-

snook 2.jpg

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went pig hunting a few years back. My granddaughter spotted one and my son shot it. This is a pic of them skinning it. CAUTION: dead animal being skinned pic; just like what happens to your Big Mac! except no growth hormones were used in the making of this pig. :)

Attachments

• skinning pig.jpg
    skinning pig.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 145

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came in off the Lake....temp was in the low 40's, with 10-15 mph North winds.....waves 3-4 ft!....but the ducks were in the air, and now are in the freezer. So far 65 ducks and 2 geese,( 3 0f us), have been converted into food for the coming year, and soon we will chase the whitetail.....ahh, life is good......Gary

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out to the camp this past weekend and was surprised to see a bunch of snow on the ground. I decided to keep the AT PRO put away and radioed a friend to see if he wanted to head out for a hunt. It just so happened that his Nephew was up from Wisconsin and had never been on a Moose hunt before. Luck for him I have a gift (I am the Moose whisperer) for talking their language. We got out to one of my favorite spots that I call the Bull zone and had this young Bull all horned up and heading our way after my second call. Well lets just say that my chum's Nephew got a up close and personal introduction to the Canadian Swamp Donkey. For those of you not familiar with the size of the Moose up here, this is a small one. The weather cleared up in the afternoon and melted all of the snow that wasn't shade covered so it turned out to be a good afternoon for a few celebratory Blue Moons. With the freezer now full for the Winter I'll be concentrating on some White Fish for the Smoker and pressure cooker as they should finally be running come next weekend.

IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0065.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 149

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,

Very nice.....thought I had a successful weekend, but you trumped it! Time to stop chasing ducks and head to the Mtns. and deer. The high elevations got snow also this weekend, with more tonight.....Time to finish buttening up the house for winter, and head into camp. By the way love the way you fill your freezer.....have a cold one on me......Gary

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris,

Very nice.....thought I had a successful weekend, but you trumped it! Time to stop chasing ducks and head to the Mtns. and deer. The high elevations got snow also this weekend, with more tonight.....Time to finish buttening up the house for winter, and head into camp. By the way love the way you fill your freezer.....have a cold one on me......Gary

I'd have to say that Blue Moon is my new lucky Beer. :occasion14:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
blue moon is too girlie for me, but I like the label

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Did that hit on the antler knock him down? I've hit deer antler a couple of times, and both times knocked the animal out. Moose is probably the best tasting
meat I've ever eaten, it's a toss up between moose and cougar, but I think that moose had the best flavor. Cougar is like lean pork, and to my pallet, the
moose I was privileged to eat was tender and more flavorful than beef. Looks like you got a good winters eating ahead of you. Do you freeze or can the meat?

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did that hit on the antler knock him down? I've hit deer antler a couple of times, and both times knocked the animal out. Moose is probably the best tasting
meat I've ever eaten, it's a toss up between moose and cougar, but I think that moose had the best flavor. Cougar is like lean pork, and to my pallet, the
moose I was privileged to eat was tender and more flavorful than beef. Looks like you got a good winters eating ahead of you. Do you freeze or can the meat?

The kid got lucky on his first shot and hit the spine (note the first picture) and his second shot hit the antlers. The third shot (kill shot) was taken by his Uncle.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a bow hunting machine. I do not ever score them but I sure do grill them. Plus we feed a few families.

100_2060.JPG

Just horns

IMG_0741.JPG

a non typical 13 points I think took with a zwicky (sp)?

IMG_0861.JPG

One for the parlor. I need 4 does in the next 10 days and I can relax a little maybe swing a detector some.
Nice freezer material everyone.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread