What's new

1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 VERY RARE

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Hi All, I haven't been out hunting lately, got a couple snowstorms up here in NH, and it's been cold & windy :-\
Yesterday, I braved the weather and returned to the site where I found my Pine Tree Shilling. within 10 minutes I found another Mass Shilling! This looks like an Oak Tree, it was setting just under the surface among the rocks, tree side up. as with most of my surface finds, the side facing up is toasted, I can still see the "M" of Masathvsets, and a few of the spikey branches. The Reverse is a little better, date & XII clear,
(which isn't the minting date, for political reasons, most Mass coinage used this date from 1660-1690, I think the Oaks were 1670s)
you can read about this interesting story here: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/Contents01.html
Anyone know what this toasty 22mm Copper might be?
thanks to Dwayne Suehno for the Woods Hibernia Farthing ID :wink:
Well, Just shows there's quite a few of these old silvers left out there!
A Big Thanks To Mike at WWW.WOODLANDETECTORS.COM , Without his help I wouldn't even be Diggin!
HH Everyone! Herbie. :hello:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,220
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,131
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,188
  • NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,134
  • NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,190
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,048
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,074
  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,033
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,133
Upvote 0
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Thanks All!
First I'm checking out www.wallhangerstaxidermy.com ,
I want the Zebra and the standing Bear !! :o
Bill, Coming across the site was part research, part word of mouth.
I learned the general area was a site of early activity,
A local resident pointed me to the particular area these were found.
These are minted from .925 Silver, the home page of the link below tells the story about Mass Silver from start to finish, very interesting history and techniques.
Other silvers I've recovered get the same patina, Rusty if deep in the yellow clay,
dull gray if shallowly buried, doesn't take long either, got a 1940 quarter that looks like rusted iron.
BB,
The area is flooded at least twice a year by the highest tides, even further from the water, salt permeates everything within a half mile or so from the coast, I used to live near the sea, everything corrodes faster just from the atmosphere.
Theres more of these out there everyone,
not just in New England either,
I put this link in before, read paragraph about 'Circulation' issues halfway down and the drastic measures undertaken to stop it. Mass Silver got around :wink:
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/MASilver.intro.html
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

:O
 

Attachments

  • 437120-20japanese_macaque20lolwut20macaque20monkey20reaction_image.webp
    437120-20japanese_macaque20lolwut20macaque20monkey20reaction_image.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,230
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Awesome :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Herbie....You are the MAN!!! :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: Absolutely incredible, I'm practically speechless. Huge congrats to say the least for another dream find. The year is still young and your having a stellar one, I suppose the Willow Tree is next followed by the NE shilling for you and we can't wait to see them! :thumbsup: Keep up the great work man, hat's off to you sir.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Simply amazing Herbie! The date side looks pretty good, the tree side.... :BangHead:

The saltwater there sure does strange things to the silver. It's kind of a shame in a way, but they are still great coins. Hopefully, the professional cleaning can bring them back some.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Somebody buried that piggy bank near that tree Herbie. Great find, Quindy.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

wow cool finds HH to all
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

:headbang:

Stunning find again, and Banner :notworthy: there is no reson those two coins shouldn't clean up good, being made of silver the crud can only be on the surface, I have had ancient hammered the same, all have cleaned :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

fantastic coin! two of them.
i hope you pull a whole handful of them out of there.
that toasty copper looks like a hibernia to me.
 

Attachments

  • images-1.webp
    images-1.webp
    13 KB · Views: 3,309
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

In 12 years of being on the metal detecting forums fairly steady I have NEVER seen a run of silver like the last three you have found. Just incredible.

If you continue digs like that you'll be a legend in this hobby!


Herbie, the obverse you posted isn't a match, but the good news is once we do get a match chances are that will also give us the reverse. (I'd guess each side was the only use for that die)
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Herbie, congratulations on hitting the rare coin lottery, again and again and again. Batters up, swing and another Banner!!!
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

SouthJerseyJim said:
Holy #%*%Herby!! That is unbelievable! Banner. Most people dream of one of those in there lifetime and you have 2 ultra rare coins.. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Yeah! What he said!
 

Attachments

  • oak_tree_noe_03_1rev.webp
    oak_tree_noe_03_1rev.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 3,037
  • oak_tree_noe_03_1obv.webp
    oak_tree_noe_03_1obv.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 3,064
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

wow is all I can say :blob7:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Wow...congrats. I would live on that site in 2012.

Good luck on future hunts and I look forward to your future posts.

NJ
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Big congrats on yet another rare and one on many other detector minds...Banner all the way!
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

WOW! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom