What's new

1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 VERY RARE

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 OAK TREE SHILLING NOE-3 'VERY RARE'

Hi All, I haven't been out hunting lately, got a couple snowstorms up here in NH, and it's been cold & windy :-\
Yesterday, I braved the weather and returned to the site where I found my Pine Tree Shilling. within 10 minutes I found another Mass Shilling! This looks like an Oak Tree, it was setting just under the surface among the rocks, tree side up. as with most of my surface finds, the side facing up is toasted, I can still see the "M" of Masathvsets, and a few of the spikey branches. The Reverse is a little better, date & XII clear,
(which isn't the minting date, for political reasons, most Mass coinage used this date from 1660-1690, I think the Oaks were 1670s)
you can read about this interesting story here: http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/Contents01.html
Anyone know what this toasty 22mm Copper might be?
thanks to Dwayne Suehno for the Woods Hibernia Farthing ID :wink:
Well, Just shows there's quite a few of these old silvers left out there!
A Big Thanks To Mike at WWW.WOODLANDETECTORS.COM , Without his help I wouldn't even be Diggin!
HH Everyone! Herbie. :hello:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,220
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,131
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,188
  • NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 008 copy.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,033
  • NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 009 copy.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,074
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020 copy.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,048
  • NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 020.1 copy.webp
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,133
  • NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 011 copy.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,134
  • NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    NH FINDS 03-05 012.1.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,190
Upvote 0
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

RTDE3 said:
Super cool Herbie! Big Congrats bud! :thumbsup:
Rob, Bubba, and RTDE3,
Appreciate your replies!
Hoping to see you bringin in bacon this season!
Best Digs to you all! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

your just a regular arborist. DANG!
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Iron Patch said:
steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:
I think it's NOE-3. That's definitely the closest I can see from what was available.

1652 MASSACHUSETTS
"OAK TREE" SHILLING -
NOE 3

Variety equivalents: Crosby 9-G

Rarity: Very Rare

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/massachusetts_silver/oak_tree_silver/oak_tree_noe_03.html
IP, that certainly looks like a match. :notworthy:
I don't think it has anything to do with which dies were used, but ain't it strange how the obverse (Tree side, correct?) is struck off center in the same way,
and the edge voids are similar :icon_scratch:
"Very Rare" :o , is not the next designation 'unique' ?
Great Stuff! can't thank ya enuff :D
Looking forward to seeing some Dirty Finds! :laughing7:


Even though I see a couple things that look iffy... like the right side of the "X" appearing to dip a little lower on one coin, I would guess it's just the pictures. It's so close I think it has to be it. Being struck off center doesn't mean much, but it is true that indent on yours could be the top of the planchet crack. I actually said that in my post but deleted it because I don't think anyone would be able to say for certain.

Here's a few sales from some nice ones... but any example is still a great coin.

http://www.stacksarchive.com/viewcat.php?auction=ST1005b&heading=11423&headinglevel=4
I'm going over to browse the auctions now, maybe at the top of that hill will be a collector grade example :dontknow:
Thanks for the Pointers :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :read2:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Sniffy said:
your just a regular arborist. DANG!
The last friday in April is too far away :laughing9:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Congrats on a great hunt
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

You're diggin' those like most of us dig a zincoln lincoln! Congrats on a superb find.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Amazin find :)
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

I read about your first one you found and thought man that a awesome fine, then you do it again your the man Congrats :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Banner or better :laughing7:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Unreal! Huge congrats on this landmark find!!!
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

SHW, you may recall I told you to find the other coins with the trees on them. I was joking then but apparently you took me seriously enough to do it! Astoundingly terrific find. I imagine you're going to go over that site with a fine toothed comb...slowly, meticulously.
You let us know when you get the full set. Seems like it almost a foregone conclusion!
Congrats and a Banner vote, once again.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:
steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:
I think it's NOE-3. That's definitely the closest I can see from what was available.

1652 MASSACHUSETTS
"OAK TREE" SHILLING -
NOE 3

Variety equivalents: Crosby 9-G

Rarity: Very Rare

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/massachusetts_silver/oak_tree_silver/oak_tree_noe_03.html
IP, that certainly looks like a match. :notworthy:
I don't think it has anything to do with which dies were used, but ain't it strange how the obverse (Tree side, correct?) is struck off center in the same way,
and the edge voids are similar :icon_scratch:
"Very Rare" :o , is not the next designation 'unique' ?
Great Stuff! can't thank ya enuff :D
Looking forward to seeing some Dirty Finds! :laughing7:


Even though I see a couple things that look iffy... like the right side of the "X" appearing to dip a little lower on one coin, I would guess it's just the pictures. It's so close I think it has to be it. Being struck off center doesn't mean much, but it is true that indent on yours could be the top of the planchet crack. I actually said that in my post but deleted it because I don't think anyone would be able to say for certain.

Here's a few sales from some nice ones... but any example is still a great coin.

http://www.stacksarchive.com/viewcat.php?auction=ST1005b&heading=11423&headinglevel=4
I'm going over to browse the auctions now, maybe at the top of that hill will be a collector grade example :dontknow:
Thanks for the Pointers :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :read2:

Ahem......like the ones you found aren't? ::) :thumbsup:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

DMN said:
steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:
steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:
I think it's NOE-3. That's definitely the closest I can see from what was available.

1652 MASSACHUSETTS
"OAK TREE" SHILLING -
NOE 3

Variety equivalents: Crosby 9-G

Rarity: Very Rare

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/massachusetts_silver/oak_tree_silver/oak_tree_noe_03.html
IP, that certainly looks like a match. :notworthy:
I don't think it has anything to do with which dies were used, but ain't it strange how the obverse (Tree side, correct?) is struck off center in the same way,
and the edge voids are similar :icon_scratch:
"Very Rare" :o , is not the next designation 'unique' ?
Great Stuff! can't thank ya enuff :D
Looking forward to seeing some Dirty Finds! :laughing7:


Even though I see a couple things that look iffy... like the right side of the "X" appearing to dip a little lower on one coin, I would guess it's just the pictures. It's so close I think it has to be it. Being struck off center doesn't mean much, but it is true that indent on yours could be the top of the planchet crack. I actually said that in my post but deleted it because I don't think anyone would be able to say for certain.

Here's a few sales from some nice ones... but any example is still a great coin.

http://www.stacksarchive.com/viewcat.php?auction=ST1005b&heading=11423&headinglevel=4
I'm going over to browse the auctions now, maybe at the top of that hill will be a collector grade example :dontknow:
Thanks for the Pointers :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :read2:

Ahem......like the ones you found aren't? ::) :thumbsup:


Yep, they're all collector grade, just not all 5 figure coins.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Ha...I was the guy that said not another to be seen for a good long time. Man, was I wrong. Stupendous banner hit :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

excellent finds. :notworthy:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Two once in a life time finds in a month! That just ain't fair! Just for that I am hitting you with a BANNER!
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Banner nomination sent.
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

Dosn't look like the ground was too nice to
them, But Nice Finds :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

ther ya go herbie! my buddy has a spot in a neiboring state were these have been found. (ive witnessed it) and i know that there was more than one found. go back and go slow. :icon_sunny: willy
 
Re: Another Mass Shilling!! OAK TREE

:notworthy: :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom