Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I got out with Elad this morning to a site I detected a few years back. The town was in existance from about 1870. I was hoping to find some Seated coins or Barbers. Within a few minutes of detecting I got a solid 86 on my DFX. I was expecting to find a can or some other trash, but about 3 inches down was the 1942S Walking Half!

That was all I found for quite a while, so I decided to try a different spot that was away from the road. Within a few minutes I got a solid Penny reading at about six inches. I figured it had to be an old Wheatie by the sound. I dug down about 8 or 9 inches in the sandy soil and there was nothing in the plug. I pinpointed the bottom of the hole and got a signal for a second, but then it was gone. Now I knew by the depth that it may be something good. I was very surprised, however to find the Draped Bust looking up at me! I was not expecting, or even hoping for a large cent based on the location!

A few minutes later I found a silver Rosie, which I must have dropped in all the excitement. Normally this would have haunted me, but with the other finds, I will live with it! I also found the table "paw", The harmonica reeds including the BIGGEST one I have ever seen, and an iron piece that looks like a bayonette tip(?) I have found these before so any help would be appreciated.

Elad found his first Indian Head and a really cool silver thimble. WTG Dale!

Thanks for looking!

UPDATE MAY 6TH, 2008: I heard back from an expert who offered to confirm Don's identification of the coin(see Don's reply below for details), and here is what he said:

Hi Neil,

Yep - S-221. First thought was S-216 because of the high 01 in the date, but that's also found on S-221, and the leaf positions in relation to D in UNITED and O in OF confirm S-221. Too bad the fraction is not clear, but on S-221 it's often not struck up well in that area.

Again, nice find!

Best wishes,
Tom

I found my first error coin , although it is not a rarity! Thanks again for the link, Don!

Attachments

• P5040024.JPG
    P5040024.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 789
  • P5040023.JPG
    P5040023.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 785
  • P5040013.JPG
    P5040013.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 771
Upvote 0
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Big Silver, Little Silver and BIG COPPER!!! 1801 Draped Bust!!!!!!!

Here are the other finds!

Attachments

• P5040007.JPG
    P5040007.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 762

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Neil. I have found many harmonica reeds myself but never one that tapered like that. Pretty cool. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a pretty LC. I'd take that one over the half dollar anyday. Great find!

-Buckleboy

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Love the 1801 Draped Bust cent and the harmonica reed! Those are some awesome finds! You also found silver along with your hunt! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil, just spent a few minutes trying to attribute the variety of your 1801 Draped Bust, unfortunately it gave me some trouble, since some of the normal features needed for ID are a bit worn down, BUT, I think I can safely say from what I see, and your photos are great by the way, that your coin appears to be a Sheldon 221 variety. It is known as: The Corrected Fraction. I am not 100% sure, but from what I do see it seems to match, I am including a page from a website of a large cent collector and compare your coin with the photo.
http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s221.jpg and home page of that site is: http://www.largecents.net

I am including what the book Penny Whimsy has to say about how to attribute that variety and see if you can confirm the attribution also.

I basically narrowed it down first by where the Right Stem on the wreath points at the letter A and then the fact that the first leaf on the right inside has no stem, those two features narrowed it down considerably from the other varieties.

Some Excerpts from Penny Whimsy: The corrected error variety, The denominator of the fraction has a figure 1 engraved over the first of the three ciphers, and both the 1 and the cipher show plainly. The first inside pair of leaves on the right is stemless.

Nice going on the mixture of finds from that site and that one Harmonica reed looks like the one very large one I have found. Much bigger than a normal one.

Don

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Congrats on the finds

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great finds, fantastic. The detail left on the LC is amazing considering how old it is wtg :thumbsup:
Glenn

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Neil, you are tearing it up bro. Great Job !

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I can't imagine how excited you must have been to see that LC. I would have been ecstatic..and you can read the date! What a great hunt..and you got some big silver too.

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent finds as always Neil :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Big silver, big copper, big day!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Excellent finds Neil! congrats.
Debby

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Nice find :o

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

SWEET LOOKING DRAPED BUST. THATS INCREDIBLE.........I`LL BET THAT MADE YOUR DAY............PACO

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ said:
Neil, just spent a few minutes trying to attribute the variety of your 1801 Draped Bust, unfortunately it gave me some trouble, since some of the normal features needed for ID are a bit worn down, BUT, I think I can safely say from what I see, and your photos are great by the way, that your coin appears to be a Sheldon 221 variety. It is known as: The Corrected Fraction. I am not 100% sure, but from what I do see it seems to match, I am including a page from a website of a large cent collector and compare your coin with the photo.
http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s221.jpg and home page of that site is: http://www.largecents.net

I am including what the book Penny Whimsy has to say about how to attribute that variety and see if you can confirm the attribution also.

I basically narrowed it down first by where the Right Stem on the wreath points at the letter A and then the fact that the first leaf on the right inside has no stem, those two features narrowed it down considerably from the other varieties.

Some Excerpts from Penny Whimsy: The corrected error variety, The denominator of the fraction has a figure 1 engraved over the first of the three ciphers, and both the 1 and the cipher show plainly. The first inside pair of leaves on the right is stemless.

Nice going on the mixture of finds from that site and that one Harmonica reed looks like the one very large one I have found. Much bigger than a normal one.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the info on the LC. I agree with you on the S221, as the stem and the inner leaf seem to be a match, but without being able to see the first digit of the denominator, I can't be sure. I have tried viewing it under many different lighting conditions and may never be able to tell. This variety is listed by http://coinfacts.com as "scarce", while the Red Book lists it as having the same value as the common varieties.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds Neil :thumbsup:--That LC is a beauty

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil, just remember, Red Book is just a rough guide, they for the most part never list all the known varieties of a coin and generalize the information. I believe there are 14-15 known varieties of the 1801, varying from Very Common to just a few known, which equals big spread in value if coin was in decent shape, and those rare varieties for the 1801 are not even mentioned in Red Book.

Don

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good stuff :)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread